Sil-bronze Sink!

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, May 21, 2020.

1. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I've seen guilding done and it takes a great deal of confidence. It was toooooo long ago to remember the exact prep work, I would you tube the hell out of it before trying.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Oh I'm confident I can make a real pigs ear out it! I don't need restored, just need to blend in the small spots where the plaster is visible. I ordered 3 colors of ccpaste to take care of the miters on the corners.

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

One of these times when I open this thread, I was thinking I might see that sink completed and installed. Did that happen? You even hijack your own threads!

Best,
    Kelly

4. TRYPHON974

TRYPHON974 Copper

My parents had a similar mirror in very poor shape. It wasn't anything of real value so I sprayed some ancient gold paint. I was into modeling so I took some time to blend the colors. It wasn't a restoration by any standards but it looked better. One day the house got burglarized and the thieves stole the mirror, it was some kind of recognition :)

5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

I wanna see it too!

Jeff

6. Jason

Jason Gold

My thread, my house. Some of us aren't retired. Since thanksgiving, I've logged over 10,000miles, been to a dozen cities and slept in my bed once. That was last night.

If I spray paint this mirror, the shop in Dallas and my wife would castrate me! Serves those thieves right to get spray paint. Nothing worse than a low down scumbag thief! I wish I could send this out for touch up, but it would cost an arm and a leg. I think it's something I can handle, just need the right advice.

Jeff, I would too man. We have been on a long road with this house. It took me 2 years on just the kitchen. When you're a one man show, custom making everything takes time. The master bath is the cherry on top. I'd much rather be screwing with my old car.;)

Tobho Mott likes this.
  7. Tobho Mott

So... I shouldn't ask about the swimming pool? :p

Jeff

DavidF likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

I'd love to be working on a pool at this point. If I dont learn how not to cook the hell out of stainless, the son of bitch is going to be made out of bronze!

Tobho Mott likes this.
  9. Al2O3

Your thread,......David's house.

K

10. Jason

Jason Gold

The sink is going in MY HOUSE! Do you have something useful you can contribute to this thread?

11. Al2O3

That's a question better put to you. It's a thread about a sink with one page on that and four not. Don't get your panties in wad. For a guy that dishes it out like you do Jason you sure can't take any coming back......so sensitive....LOL!

K

12. Jason

Jason Gold

:rolleyes:

Tobho Mott likes this.
  13. OMM

OMM Silver

Kelly, aren't you a moderator? Can't you put all the same cat piss on the same page? Or close down a thread?

A thread is easily search by it's title. If the OP (original poster) wants to discuss a foundary process and then wants to move it into a milling machine or lathe process. In my opinion, the title of the thread, should be the thread discussion.

A thread is a thread and it's based off a discussion of its title.

A thread should not allow 65 different spinoffs of milling machine, welders, foundries, lathes, drill presses, rivets, rivet nuts, P traps, plumbing, electrical, three phase, single phase, 120 V, 220 V, 460 V, 600 V, copper, aluminum, tapping, dies, tool steel, ceramic inserts, carbide inserts, high-speed steel, Single pole double throw switch, variable frequency drives, three phase, single phase, wax boil, wax melt out, ceramic shells, ceramic dipping, ceramic dry out, tortures, foundries, foundry materials, air blowing devices, different types of sand, different types of moulding Sand versus loss wax versus shell versus Green sand versus oil bond, TIG welding, Oxy-acetylene welding, Ark welding, Mig welding, laser welding. Water jet, laser cutting, CNC................. Or we can get into carbide scraping, vacuum foam processing, Ingot or trays, torches, fuels, hotter fuels, deeper fuels, free fuels, different types of blowers, different types of vacuums, and I can go on and on..............

One single thread shouldn't cover everything. Maybe I'm wrong, I thought a forum is a discussion based on title. I didn't think a forum was a purpose to create a blog of your life experiences for the last 2-10 years.

I'm not sure, am I right or wrong? Do people like being lost into super threads that are not affiliated with the title???

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  14. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I thought it may look better in slumped glass Jason?

Matt, I actually quite like the diversity in some of these threads, if we are creating a resource then it's a no-no but if it is a friendly depository of information and experience then maybe that is OK? The house move for example has been fun to follow.

I'm not the person to call that one.

Petee716 and Tobho Mott like this.
  15. OMM

OMM Silver

There are two sides to the coin.

Kelly always demonstrates a process around the title of the thread. He deviate a little bit based on discussion. But he always keeps it clean or tries to to the point.

Some other threads start out with my shop build.... It is more of a blog. It's actually more difficult to do a search when it is a blog type. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to follow along when it is a small group. As a small group, I think this is a good site and… I try to support it with relevant information and monetary. I would hate to see this site go away like AA.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

This thread shows something called life! And yes it's turned into sort of a blog about a sink. During which I've been screwed by a once in 20year storm and had to halt progress on it to put my house back together. It's finally coming full circle hopefully in the next day or two when I get the last pieces cast. This is really pretty easy, this site allows you to unsub from a thread you comment in. But, looking at the great dialogue contained in this thread and the views, it has proven quite popular. I know I've learned a few things from others and maybe I've taught a few of you a thing or two. In 10years from now, someone will read what we wrote and have a good chuckle. Do I think someone else will read this to build a sink? Of course not, I'm probably the only one dumb enough to attempt this.

Now someone please share with how to fix this mirror! So far, with the exception of some mahogany shutters, everything in this thread has revolved around metal. Gold is a metal right?

We can't change the title of a thread or I'd name this "The Master Bathroom from hell!"

17. Al2O3

Could but doing that would be more than a full time job. Better that the members do it themselves.
    Many forums have off topic subforums. When the forum was established, the intent was for the sub-forum to be General foundry chat, not general chat (or Other Metal Working Projects). In fact many forums have separate blog sections just for such. Still, over time online relationships develop and there's desire to commiserate and that's understood. I personally favor more structured content but don't have strong feelings about it. Like Jason said, you don't have to watch it, unless watching forum content is your responsibility then you do. When I'm considering joining a web forum it's usually because I'm searching for something topical and specific. If I find it, my next click is to take a quick look at the forum traffic. When I see 95% of the posts on a forum have nothing to do with the forum, I don't join......and there are some like that, and I imagine some consider this when they first come to THF. The other reasons that favor more structure are the future value of the forum. Off topic content costs just as much to store as topical content and if there isn't some discipline and structure, it makes it difficult to search efficiently and less value to future members. It also draws less value from advertisers if David ever decides to monetize the forum because they look at things like this too. As Admin, that's why I lean the way I do.
    Well, can't say I want to build a SiBr sink, but I actually did like the idea of you applying what you've learned in casting and working SiBr to a project like that. Fairly significant investment in materials and potential value of result.....thus my viewing the thread
    I can do that, but is it about a bathroom remodel or recovery from the storm of the century?

Best,
    Kelly

18. Tobho Mott

I think your repeated question about the mirror got lost in the wash... somehow. Wish I had an answer for you J. Sounds like something that would be interesting to learn about and may have applications for working on castings.

Hopefully someone who has the answer won't be too busy derailing your thread with an unquestionably off topic forum ettiquette discussion to speak up... :rolleyes::(

I don't know about you guys, but I never saw a bathroom sink that didn't have a mirror hanging over it. If I ever do, I'm sure my first thought will be, "Something is missing from this sink!"

Jeff

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Jason likes this.
  19. Jason

Jason Gold

My wife found a couple of cheap mirrors for sale then she took another look at the sink on the bench. That's when we realized we needed to go a little deeper. A special sink needs a special mirror. The hunt was on. First we bought this 19th century louis XV in New Orleans at DOP. It was when we squeezed it the plane we thought it might be a little large. :oops: Whoops. It found a home elsewhere. Nothing like buying something TWICE, it hurt, but we are happy to own it.

20201209_123526.jpg

I found its sister online.:eek::eek::eek:
    We did damn good on ours! Old mirrors can be stupid money. So ya gotta look at them like an investment. Can you say " does not convey" :D

20201022_213657.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  20. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I've always been a bare wood guy. My ex had our house full of refinished barn tools, wooden pulleys and the like. She used to buy those old plaster frames and soak them and scrape it all off. Then sand, stain, and reassemble. I liked them better that way.

Pete