Skulls from the past

Discussion in 'Halloween Casting contest' started by cactusdreams, Oct 19, 2017.

1. cactusdreams

cactusdreams Copper Banner Member

Can't do the contest in time but resurrected my video from 2015 lost to PB and made a slideshow with the build pics. Hope it inspires.

2. OCD

OCD Silver

Those came out nicely.

Well done.

Good to see somebody casting who’s taken the precautions of doing it with some safety practices in mind. <Thumbs Up>

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

That is a pretty wild process with all that flame coming out the top.
    Looks like the pour rate is quite fast too.

The end product looks great, and yes, some good safety gear.

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I remember those too Cactus. I especially likely the larger polished one in the middle at the end of the video.....channeling Terminator. Is it me or are seasonal Styrofoam figures not as plentiful as they used to be? What is out there seems to be very large things like tombstones that aren't very practical casting candidates.

Best,
    Kelly

5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Yeah, Michael's has always been my go-to for Styrofoam halloweenies. But this year they only seem to have plastic versions of the skulls etc. No Styrofoam other than the big tombstones. :(

Glad I bought a few extras in previous years...

I will try to scrounge up a few pix of my old hallowe'en castings to post here too.

Jeff

6. cactusdreams

Haven't been to Michael's this year so don't know what they have but there's also another chain out here called JOANN Fabric & Craft Stores that has foam figures too. Or sometimes I order direct from Smoothfoam. The idea of a full on Terminator head is intriguing. Maybe with red LED eyeballs.

7. Tobho Mott

Lots of foamies do come with the red eyeball lighting already done, I keep saving all the wires and LED's and switches thinking to do the same... Well, I hadn't actually thought of making a terminator, I just mean red-eyed skulls.

I used old table lamp parts to make this guy light up though, after cutting up and regluing 3 foam jack o lanterns to make one pattern with 3 faces and a lid to cast:

IMG_20170619_053617511.jpg

:)

Jeff

8. Jason

Jason Gold

There Cacti.. You have your first subscriber. Now get to work and make us some content!

9. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

WTF?? no subscribers? OK Im # 2 then....

Frick! Im second to Jason??? (feeling violated)

10. Jason

Jason Gold

You got sloppy seconds... How does my ........... never mind... lol

11. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

sloppy seconds better than funky fourths...

12. Tobho Mott

Thlightly thticky thirds for me, I'm not fussy... :p

Jeff

13. cactusdreams

First I need a shower after those last few exchanges.

Huh? I don't even know how that works. Actually, the subscribers, likes, points, followers, mosts, fans, watched, trophies and whether I'm copper, silver or unobtanium don't interest me. But I hear ya on making some content. Here's my deal and I don't know how common it is. Of making molds/patterns, the casting and the finishing, I really enjoy the creativity and craftsmanship of the first. And melting metal is just the freakin' best! I tolerate the finishing part and tend to put it off unless I have a deadline. It's also the messiest as I hang tarps to isolate part of the garage and somewhat keep in all the dust. So a little corner of my garage fills up with things cast but not finished. The other day I fished them all out and well . . .

to be finished.jpg

So my near future content may be me in full dust protective gear grinding, sanding and polishing. Unless I get an irresistible casting idea.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

By subbing to someones shitshow, viewers get notified about activity. That's all ya really need to know.

I haven't bothered to look this one up as it makes sense to me.... But with all that aluminum work, do you wear goggles (not safety glasses) during all that buffing? Long time ago, someone told me the aluminum dust goes flying, lands on your eyes and then scratches the eye when ya blink... ? I try to remember if I'm going to be standing at the wheel for more than a minute.

15. OCD

OCD Silver

Still have to do some prep work but.....

He needs an abrasive tumbler or vibrator to do all the polishing.