Slabbing Blu-Ram (or any other) Plastic Refractory

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Melterskelter, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I decided to make slabbing device so I could more easily break down blocks of raw Blu-Ram in anticipation of making a segmental furnace from it.

03DFBB2E-419B-49B1-BA97-48B2ED52B900.jpeg 4B4E5E9E-75B9-4FF2-99F3-50ADCAE67C34.jpeg

Denis

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  2. That photo online without context will traumatize some machinists :D. I have a friend with a Swedish Arboga mill-drill who uses it as a bearing press like that.

3. Melterskelter

We’ll just have to just hope they can get timely therapy. Maybe I should caption the video at the beginning saying “no mills were injured in making the following video.” ;-)

I gently use its press function often for press fits, shrink fits, pressing pins out of sheaves, etc. The mill is a very useful machine, but is underutilized if only used for milling and drilling. ;)

Denis

4. Mister ED

Mister ED Silver

Hmm, that's pretty interesting ... I have never seen the plastic in person (OK, sort of in person). Sounds like there is a bit of chunky solids in it. Once split apart, can it be kneaded back together?

Bentation Funkiloglio likes this.
  5. I've used plastic refractory a couple/few times and am currently working with some that is very similar to Blu-Ram.

Short answer to your question is, "yes." Cutting into slabs makes it easier to get a uniform distribution. However, you could also work with the refractory by pulling off chunks from block and mashing those chunks into place.

Texture wise, imagine mixing play-doh with salt and rice krispies.

After using both castable and plastic, I'm developing a strong preference for castable refractory. One big difference is that (if using form), you can't remove refractory from form until it hardens during heat curing process. I'm finding this to be a bit annoying at the moment.

Don't know yet about the plastic that I'm working with currently. However, another brand that I used a year ago cured rock hard and is as tough as rock.

6. Melterskelter

Yes you certainly can knead/mend it together. It is intended to be used that way. You are also permitted to soften it by adding water. It’s consistency is like a fairly heavy clay with embedded bits of stone-like material.

I really like using it over castable as all I have to do is provide a “wall” to press it onto. Then hit it with a torch and it begins to solidify. Once cured it resembles coarse-grained porcelain and it should since ingredients used for the refractory are also used in fine porcelain. The guy who delivered today said in the refinery’s it is common ptractice to used an expanded steel armature and then press/ram the refractory onto the armature and then fire it. No curing is involved. You place it and then fire it. I tried that already on a couple small repairs of my furnace floor and wall. I pressed slightly watered refractory into place and then lit my furnace full heat. The refractory didn’t blink. It became super hard stoneware.

Slabbing it is simply a convenient way to “spread” it. If you look at my lid building video you will get a sense as to how you can ram it to make pieces coalesce. I used a cruder method there to slab it.

Denis