Smaller badge reproduction in Illinois

Discussion in 'Request casting service' started by kakn, Oct 2, 2019.

1. kakn

kakn Lead

2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

So, makes a person wonder why repros /imitations/ counterfeits are needed in quantity...

Denis

3. kakn

kakn Lead

If you really must know, which I'm sure you don't. I collect Rockford Fosgate amplifiers and for some reason people threw away the end caps with the badges on them or they lost them over the years. I currently have over 20 amplifiers and am one of many in the car audio community that would like to have these items. People are making them out of resin and 3d printed but they all have their draw backs. Another reason why I requested so many is I figured most people wouldn't want to mess with just one or two of each item. The youtube videos I watched on casting these types of items, how I found this site, they did multiples at once. So if you are accusing me of some sort of misdoing I would appreciate it if you stop. Am I looking to sit here and profit off these things? Nope. Do I see a need and want to fill a need to help my car audio community? YES.

4. Melterskelter

Just asking a question that occurs to most people I think. No accusation, necessarily. Nobody would want to be part of the rather flourishing counterfeit economy.

Denis

5. kakn

kakn Lead

Aren't all duplicated items counterfeit with out permission from the company?

Legit question not trying to be a smart @#$.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  6. Melterskelter

Good point. It looks like the company is still in operation. https://www.rockfordfosgate.com/

Denis

7. kakn

kakn Lead

You just love splitting hairs don't you. lol

Are you actually here to offer a service or just here to troll people?

8. Melterskelter

Check it out. Pretty much all I do here is troll folks. :D

Denis

9. kakn

kakn Lead

I read on here where someone asked about having some Turbo badges made for their car a not a single word was said about it. Didn't happen to see you in that post. Want me to find it so you can post your words of encouragement in it as well?

10. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

If they are still in business, maybe they have the parts you need. If the parts aren't available then I wouldn't think it was counterfeiting to reproduce them.

11. kakn

kakn Lead

The company is still in business but they haven't made this series of amps since 1993-1995. Myself as well as others have hounded the company for any and all old stock items they may have and they don't. I have collected these amplifiers for years. I buy sell and trade them so I go through many items a year which is part of the reason I would like to have "roughly ten of each". Then again the "ten each" I figured most people wouldn't want to make just one, wouldn't be cost effective I'd think?

It isn't a huge deal anymore. If some people feel as tho it's bad to replicate an item then so be it. I kind of thought the whole reason this page was here is because people reproduce items? Maybe I misunderstood what exactly the process of a foundry is?

12. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

The section was created for people requesting to have parts cast, not to bicker over the legalities of duplicating a part.
    The end.....:cool:

kakn likes this.
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

Didn't Kelly like casting fins from foam? It's been a lot of years, but I seem to remember them being about 6-8" in length and about 3" wide.
    The textured paint is the easy part. Casting those fins would be kind of a pain in the ass.

Was the original logo piece even metal? If it was, it was probably die cast and those molds would be long gone. Wouldn't be surprised if they were
    plastic and the letters done with that chrome plating stuff.

14. kakn

kakn Lead

Yes they are metal, I own a few loose badges and have some mounted on the end caps but don't know how to post photos from my computer if I even can. The badges have two mounting posts on the back that get split apart to hold it in place. There is also a small alignment post on the back as well. They were painted black and the numbers and letters painted white.

15. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup... They were diecast then. Look up on youtube. There is some nerd that spin diecasts some kind of little game creature. I can't think of anyone here that does die casting.
    I don't know what kind of metal it is. It's done at a low temp so probably zinc I guess.

16. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

They don't look all that different to me from some of the car badge/insignia thingies Dave has shown us before... Lost wax investment casting with vacuum assist?

Jeff

17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

When I designed injection tooling it would be made up depending on the volume we expected out of the tool life. Small part volume would allow 'soft tools, part cycle time was irrelavant. Larger volumes balanced up for short cycle time, minimum shot weight and hard tools. I think the same would be applicable to die casting. What David does is amazing but it wouldn't be a go to for production of volume so I would have to agree with Jason on die-casting.

18. DavidF

click on the upload a file button and then select the picture from your computer to upload, or you can click and drag it in as well....

Thats the cheapest way to go for such a low quantity, but if you can still grab them off e bay for $20.00 then I would go that route. For me to cast them they would be $15.00 each for a qty of 10 plus $65.00 for the mold.
    Then you would still have to paint them......

They could have either been spin cast or die cast. One look at the back will tell (just look for the ejector pin marks)

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Damn you work cheap! Kakn, you better jump on that deal.

20. DavidF

For a job that lets you sit around and drink beer while watching tv.......Id say it pays well ...lol

Jason likes this.