So you forgot to cut sand retention grooves in your flask...

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Melterskelter, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Here was my quick and dirty solution. I was too lazy to unscrew the boards and run them through the saw or to fire up the router. Seems easy enough and a good way to burn off self-reproach due to forgetting. :) Would have used a framing hammer with its cross-hatched face had it been at hand.

B97BEB19-AB74-4B27-9367-193F68695080.jpeg

It’ll hold the sand.

Denis

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Tobho Mott and Jim Edgeworth like this.
  2. rocco

rocco Silver

LOL, there's nothing that can't be fixed with a BFH!

John Homer and Tobho Mott like this.
  3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Possibly more convenient than grooves because the sand will actually fall out when you want it to.

Pete

4. Jim Edgeworth

Jim Edgeworth Silver

We call that a “Birmingham Screwdriver”, that’s not to say that Brummies are a load of rough assed delinquents.:D

5. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

a small forstner bit works well to make many circular rings Freemont flasks had a very similiar circle pattern inside (sorry cannot find an in image)

a small route to cut groves works well ( I had to do that once

V/r HT1

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

We call it an engineers hammer. I assume it's the guys wearing overalls, not ties.lol.

7. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I just pissed 10 of them off today ;):D and got two free movie tickets for saving the company 250k o_O just what I wanted during a pandemic.

dennis and Tobho Mott like this.
  8. dennis

dennis Silver

In fiction, the foundry-person's mallet/hammer is called a yarrop. (An intercepted term, It's so old no one currently alive knows where it came from.)

Hence, that's a full yarrop flask.

Billy Elmore likes this.
  9. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

The sound the guy using it made when he smashed his thumb with it....of course it was probably a stone tied to a stick.

dennis likes this.
  10. dennis

dennis Silver

What sort of router bits are usual (for sand-retention grooves)? I got at least one core-box bit for this exact reason, but I'm a Nüb...

11. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Well...now I have a new shortcut. I bet it will work on aluminum and cast iron.

12. dennis

dennis Silver

Tubal-Cain? (Genesis, mentioned by Ammen)

Billy Elmore likes this.
  13. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Made me look it up.LOL Great story! Tricked his dad into killing Cain and then his dad accidentally killed him. Wonderful ending...blood thirsty killer who is killed by his victim's grief.

14. dennis

dennis Silver

And of course, there's The Sand-Man...

Attached Files: