Sodium Silicate

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by FKreider, Jun 3, 2019.

1. FKreider

FKreider Copper

2. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I think that is a melterskelter question.
    He has used a lot of SS.
    Others can also perhaps guide you.

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I think the claim of being 100% sodium silicate is an impossibility. The highest concentration that stays in solution is less than half that. I would suggest reading Tom Cobett's article:

http://jarod.eells.us/projects/FoundryEquipment/sodium-silicate.html

I have found everything he has said to be true in practice. (That is saying something when there is so much BS out there on the interweb) He talks about various silicate mixtures and percentage concentration is only part of the picture. I use RU sodium silicate and find it to be a very fine binder when used as Tom suggests. It may be worth your while in the long run to track it down. I know for certain it works and works well. Other products may work, but you will have to spend the time, possible frustration, money, and energy figuring it out.

Denis

4. FKreider

FKreider Copper

Yes there certainly is a lot of BS out there. I am tempted to try myfordboy's baked core recipe for now since I only need one or two cores and its a very simple shape.

https://myfordboy.blogspot.com/p/core-making.html

I'm also considering trying to just use my greensand and see if I can pull it off.

5. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

You can also use epoxy (and probably polyester) resin each in low percentages as outlined by Cobett as binders.

Denis

6. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

I think the 100% claim was a marketing ploy meant to suggest that the active ingredient in this product is 100% sodium silicate with no other active ingredients. Not that the entire product is 100% sodium silicate. In other words, typical marketing BS that actually tells you nothing of importance.

Don