Stainless Steel Furnace

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by smithdoor, Oct 25, 2018.

1. smithdoor

smithdoor Copper

2. Jason

Jason Gold

I wouldn't use it. Unless you can weld THIN SS, it will be a pain in your neck. You'll also be stuck drilling the miserable stuff and everything will be bolt and nut.
    That alone is going to make installing a tuyere a royal pain.

If ya want a small cheap furnace, take a look at one of these. https://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-portable-air-tank-65594.html
    I turned one into a forge. Don't forget your 20% off coupon. ;)

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

A 20lb propane tank is a popular choice. They are frequently discarded after their pressure certification expires and can be had for free. You just need to take care when initially cutting them apart.

Best,
    Kelly

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  4. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I made my first furnace in a steel 5 gal pail. It has the same quick and easy simplicity of the stock pot without the downsides Jason mentioned and was free. Plus it has that handy wire handle on it!lol

Pete

5. smithdoor

smithdoor Copper

I look at air tank with 7 bricks will make a 9" ID furnace if use 6 bricks it is 6" Is

That you for this low cost furnace

Dave

6. Robert

Robert Silver

I made my electric furnace using similar technique:

[​IMG]

I would definitely use a larger diameter housing as suggested. This was a propane tank. I would also cut the firebrick in half to be thinner (not as shown above.) It will still provide enough insulation, especially if you put wool or other insulation outside.
    Robert

7. smithdoor

smithdoor Copper

Great looking furnace
    How may watts and how long does melt
    I did not think of electric

Dave

8. Robert

Robert Silver

I believe it is about 1800 watts. It takes about forever to melt a crucible of aluminum. Longer than forever with bronze. Go with propane.
    Robert

Jason likes this.
  9. smithdoor

smithdoor Copper

Thank you
    I will go LP

Dave

10. Robert

Robert Silver

I am kind of wondering if electric would provide a benefit in terms of porosity.
    Robert

11. Jason

Jason Gold

I don't think it helps or hurts porosity. With a fuel powered furnace, you have the ability to control the O2 environment. With electric, you get what you get. Electric is just too damn slloooowwww for me. Good call recommending propane for the new guy. It will keep him from electrocuting himself with an electric kiln. Metal tools and stuff inside a giant electric toaster!:eek::eek:

12. Robert

Robert Silver

Rtsquirrel likes this.
  13. smithdoor

smithdoor Copper

Thank you
    I am planning on using fire place brick if I find fire place brick here California
    I may order from your supplier

Thank you
    Dave

14. Robert

Robert Silver

Fireplace brick is dense hard fire brick. It has a high thermal mass and will make your furnace less efficient. You will spend a lot of fuel heating up the brick. It is also harder to cut, typically cut with a diamond wheel. I would recommend the insulating bricks like I posted. They can be cut with a hacksaw or bandsaw. They weigh much less. I'm not saying dense brick won't work but if you are going to spend the effort to build it, I would optimize it.
    Robert

15. smithdoor

smithdoor Copper

Thank you
    Fule is costly today and like hacksaw

Dave

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah propane is high. After you run out half way through a melt one day, you'll join the rest of us burning used motor oil and jet fuel.;)

17. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Unscrew the valve and fill the tank fully with water to purge any residual gas before attempting cutting.

18. Robert

Robert Silver

If memory serves, one of the guys on the other forum shot his tank with a rifle to make holes for water purging...
    Robert

19. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Was there anything left of the tank after the explosion?

20. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

He was shooting the 1 pounders.
    Still a little iffy...