Starting my first and only electric foundry build

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by DIY Builds, Feb 22, 2018.

1. DIY Builds

DIY Builds Copper

Hello first time posting. Done a little research on building a foundry and I have decided to build one just to melt down some aluminum cylinder heads among a few other things. I have a mypin ta4 PID With a solid-state relay and a type K thermal coupler good for almost 1300°F. For my heating element I was planning on using Kanthal wire But wanted to know if you use that wire do you guys just wind up a coil your self or is there already premade coils? I found some on eBay for $9.25 and is 16 gauge round and 25 feet long. And I was going to use plaster of Paris and play sand to make a concrete part of it and mix in steel wool shavings. Any advice from anyone will be welcome. Thank you

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Hi DIY and welcome to the forum.

First off, I'd say a big no to the materials you suggest for the refractory. PoP and concrete have no place in a foundry furnace. Use real refractory, at least for the hot face. I'd skip the steel wool too but some use stainless steel needles. I use an electric furnace for aluminum. You can see my build at the link in my signature of this post and also a recent rebuild I did at the link below in this forum. My furnace is a bit elaborate but suits me. There is a lot of information in the build threads that may be useful to you. I wind my own coils and there is discussion and video of my coil winder in the build threads. I used Kanthal A1. If you are only going to melt aluminum you could also use NiCr60 or other NiCr alloys. Kanthal A1 has higher max operating temp but it doesn't maintain it's mechanical properties as well at those temps and you don't need that temp capability for aluminum. I operate my furnace at 1800-1900F for aluminum melts and it performs fine. There is at least one other electric build posted here as well. Do some searching and reading and come back to us. How much aluminum do you want to be able to melt and pour in a single shot?

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/furnace-fail-reconstruction.209/

Scott K took a different approach which may also be of interest to you.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/homemade-electric-furnace.80/
    http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/how-i-am-making-an-electric-furnace.81/

Best,
    Kelly

3. DIY Builds

DIY Builds Copper

Thanks for the reply. I was actually reading through Scott’s thread already. So no to the pop and sand you say? I will try to see if I can locate refractory mortar? Is that what it’s called? I think I know what your talking about. Does it come in a bag as a powder or the stuff in the buckets already made up?

As far as the size.... have 100% decided but big enough to put a cylinder head in from a car I suppose if that helps. I’m really not sure on this as I’ve never built one before.

Could I melt steel if I wanted to? I’ve got lots of scrap laying around and would like to make some shaft to turn in my lathe but they need to be 4” diameter and can also be hollow but not sure how I do that? Make a sand cast?. It’s for a track build project I started last year.

4. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome to TheHomeFoundry!

It's called 'castable refractory', but not to be confused with the stuff at (ie.) Lowe's that is meant for patching cracks in wood stove bricks - you won't find it in big box stores at all. It comes in powder form in 50-55lb bags; some very popular brand names are Mizzou and Kast-O-Lite, and those are rated for really high temperature work up to and including cast iron. You may never plan on melting iron or even copper alloys, but you would not regret using these high quality materials if you really want this to be your last furnace build. I built my (waste oil-fired) furnace using a brand called Unicast-70 for the innermost layer, rated to 3200F, because that is the type of refractory my foundry products supplier carries. I'm very happy with it, I've melted aluminum many times and done a couple of bronze melts, and it just laughs at what I have come to think of as "heat".

Another option would be to use insulating firebricks, like they build ceramics kilns out of. You should be able to get them from a local pottery supplies business, but you may need to ask them about it to find out as in my experience their websites tend not to list every product they can order in or even that they keep in stock. They're very easy to shape and work with, but they are quite fragile.

Casting steel is said to be out of reach for the vast majority of home gamers. Melting it... maybe... but probably not successfully casting it. That is the usual answer to that question anyhow.

Good luck!

Jeff

5. DIY Builds

DIY Builds Copper

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2018
  6. Al2O3

This eBay seller offers a lot of different refractory material. Shipping is a killer so it pays to find local sources.

http://stores.ebay.com/HIGH-TEMP-REFRACTORY-STORE?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Electric is ok if you are going to melt aluminum but you'll want a fuel fired furnace for higher melt point alloys. Steel is unlikely for the home gamer. Iron is possible but not a good starting point for the inexperienced. You also wont likely start off melting an entire cylinder head at one time and will want to build a crucible furnace. The crucible holds the molten metal. More research for you to do!

Best,
    Kelly

dennis likes this.
  7. Tobho Mott

I drove 5 hours each way to get my refractory, and only later found out the local pottery supply business where I got my ceramic fiber blanket and insulating firebrick could have special ordered it for me, which I forgot to mention above. I had reason to make that 10h round trip anyhow when I got mine (visiting a friend for the weekend), but even if I hadn't, the hour-long tour that company owner Tim of Smelko Foundry Products' gave me of his warehouse alone was worth every kilometer.

This question actually comes up commonly. Many have recommended getting in touch with guys who install/repair boilers, hinting that opened but only partially used bags of the stuff might be had off the back of a truck at a work site for the price of a 6-pack if not for free. So there may be some good castable refractory closer than you think, if you talk to the right people...

Jeff

8. DIY Builds

DIY Builds Copper

9. Al2O3

It's ok to start off with a steel crucible but I'd suggest you build your furnace to accommodate a proper clay graphite or Silicon Carbide crucible.......you'll be glad you did if you progress in foundry practice. I'm not familiar with that particular Refractory but have used other HW products. You might also consider buying some ceramic wool for insulation. Are you still thinking electric or fuel fired burner?

I didn't realize Harbison Walker had a retail Amazon store front. Here's the link from DIY's post. This might be useful to those with no local sources. Now, if you were a Amazon Prime member and could get 55lb bags with free shipping what a treat that would be. The prices with free shipping at that site are amplified to cover shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/s?marketplac...YVW6BQGA&merchant=AI420YVW6BQGA&redirect=true

Best,
    Kelly

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Welcome to the "hoodlums hangout" Lots of good stuff here. The pre wound elements you found on fleabay will be fine for your project. Your steel crucibles will be fine provided the bottoms and lifting setup is sound. Aluminum is light, but a cylinder head is HEAVY. When you lift a 1300 degree 30lb pot of death out of a furnace, you will want complete confidence in your procedure and equipment. Here is your mandatory reading assignment. Lot's of good stuff in this book that will answer many questions. Before you commit expensive stuff, take photos and pass it by the peanut gallery here. The guys here have tons of experience with this stuff. Don't be scared when you see Kellys Mars orbiter melting machine, we won't expect you to build something as equally spectacular!:eek:

http://prometheus-foundry.com/The Hobbyist's Guide to Casting Metal--2nd Edition (print).pdf

11. Tobho Mott

I don't know anything about that variety either, but this one is similarly priced and comes very highly recommended:
    https://www.amazon.com/MIZZOU-CASTA...rd_wg=VK5lP&psc=1&refRID=M3ETVGN9S9J1BDWW1253

You could always just use insulating firebrick. If you're careful not to ding it too much with your crucible tongs, this may hold up quite well since in an electric furnace you won't have a burner blasting right onto it. The light bricks are also very easy to carve grooves into for holding the coils. With the ceramic fiber blanket option, you'd definitely want to seal in the insulation behind something that will keep the fibers from going airborne and being inhaled.

Jeff

12. DIY Builds

DIY Builds Copper

I am still thinking electric kelly.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

MIZZOU all the way! Don't mix it too watery. It's not concrete! 80bucks a bag with free shipping is a decent price. I pay 60bucks a bag and it's a 6hr drive round trip.
    Buy 2, probably 3 bags for a furnace this size to melt a cylinder head.

14. DIY Builds

DIY Builds Copper

I believe that’s the same stuff I have in my cart but it does have better reviews I see.

15. DIY Builds

DIY Builds Copper

Holy 2-3 bags? I didn’t know I was going to need that many. Nothing I do is cheap lol. It was $90-$100 for the stuff I called on today so amazon was cheaper

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Mine took 2 bags. This is the worlds most expensive "concrete" but is worth every penny after you see what it can do. Want the tour?
    Watch the first ten minutes

17. Jason

Jason Gold

The trick is going to be casting in the grooves to retail your heating coils. Kelly has solved that one. You sure you wouldn't want to fire that thing with conventional fuel?

18. DIY Builds

DIY Builds Copper

Idk I was just thinking it would be nice and quiet and don’t have to worry about propane. Just plug it in and melt

19. DIY Builds

DIY Builds Copper

Lol thanks. I’m just trying but build without putting a lot of money into it but want it to last also. Need to find the happy medium I guess

20. DIY Builds

DIY Builds Copper

I agree I need to figure out how to make the grooves