Straddle Wagon for Handling Heavy Flasks/Molds

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Melterskelter, May 4, 2018.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I have been casting a pattern that requires a flask/mold combination that weighs about 250 pounds. (and in the not distant future I will be filling a 350 pound mold) It is necessary to ram the molds indoors and then move them outdoors to cast them. Until recently I have been just sliding them a few feet out onto a gravel apron on which is also located my furnace. Safety and topography dictate that the furnace be about 30 feet from the door. I have been using a trolley to move the crucible full of iron down the slight grade over the gravel apron to the mold. That has worked OK but the move requires considerable care and takes a bit of time to complete and to get into pouring position. So, I decided to move my mold closer to the furnace using a "straddle wagon" similar in principle to straddle trucks commonly used in lumber mills and the like to move bulky loads.

Using the straddle approach allows a simple mechanism coupled to the jack from my light truck to lift the load in a controlled fashion and set it down gently as well. I purchased a 70 dollar garden cart rated for 1000 pounds (grain of salt needed) and then widened its wheel base and raised it as well. Adding a hinged "U" to the cart and a couple of spacers under the wagon deck makes it possible to raise the flask/mold up under the wagon and press it against the bottom of the deck. Then I move to the pouring spot and lower the flask to the ground. This has worked quite well so far. I included some pics which are not the prettiest as the add-ons came from the bone pile and the welds are raw. I wanted to be sure everything functioned well prior to spraying the whole works.

FWIW. MoldCart (2).JPG MoldCart (4).JPG MoldCart (6).JPG
    Note "French" spelling of "under." ;-) There are 3/4" spacers under the bottom board and the eyes in the flat bar easily unscrew so that the flat bar can be slid under the full flask for lifting and movement.

With my new setup the mold is only about 6 or 8 feet from the furnace. So, I use the hoist to lift the crucible (that is working out very very well, indeed) and set it on a plinth and then pick it up with my trolley and just pivot and travel a foot or two and pour. That seems so much easier to me. I know other more experienced folks travel 50 feet or more to pour. But, I like the convenience.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. _Jason

_Jason Silver

I like it. Very industrious solution to your problem.

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Thanks, Jason. I have used it now twice to pour this mold. I can only say that being able to move the mold easily and safely into an ideal location and orientation has made a world of difference to me.