STUFF

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by joe yard, May 19, 2019.

1. joe yard

joe yard Silver

I posted this one of the steam sights but did not get much response other than the shaper is probably gone.. I do agree all of it is in a very rough condition with the scraper being the worst due to precision components. I do not think any of it is ready for the scrap pile quite yet, After a look at this stuff it is obvious at minimum it is going to take a total tear down and cleaning before preceding. The one thing that might stay is the forge. My son has first dibs.
    So the question becomes how to get rid of this and other stuff?
    Should I clean it all and take it to a show? Sell it on line? Craig’s list?
    If I take it to a show I have many old motors and tools to go along.
    I have never sold this nature stuff at a show. Should I throw in with someone else?
    Lots of questions. Any answers?

Here is what was posted on the steam sight.
    classicsteamengineering.com/threads/hold-fold-or-trade.1394/#post-20844

I have been out rooting in the sheds and partially uncovered the sharper. I posted the pictures to help describe size and condition. Is this one big enough to be useful?
    There were also several other items of possible interest.
    In the one picture there is an old solid built drill press on the left with a home made band saw on the right. In another an old small power hack saw. One picture with a forge.
    I have been in the process of cleaning and upgrading my shop and sheds since before Christmas.
    It will not be long before the items posted along with many other smaller ones will be sold or crated and placed in long tern storage.
    So, hold fold or pass.
    Sell and if so at what state of restoration if any or store in a proper crate, painting the items in a rust inhibitor.
    I am asking how far would you go in restoration before storage?
    Or would you sell it? If so in what condition?
    Joe

Attached Files:

2. Jason

Jason Gold

Location of these goodies??? I like the power hack saw.

3. joe yard

joe yard Silver

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks pretty rough, but there is alot of people out there who enjoy restoring older machinery. Ive owned an old Logan shaper for years. It does not get used much, but once every 5 years it bails me out of a jam.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

I would think Chirpy would be interested in this stuff and I don't think he's that far. BUT he doesn't come here anymore. I guess he likes the peace and quiet over at AA.o_O

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

more like the spam..... I spent hours deleting that crap over and over again and could not do anything to help prevent it. There is only so much a person can take before they give up...

7. joe yard

joe yard Silver

Jason it is in northern Indiana near Logansport. I did not have a chance to properly respond.
    The saw was used until around 40 years ago when it went into the shed. It has not been touched since.
    All of the stuff that has moving parts will be work to restore but it will be priced to sell. I would like to get this stuff to someone who wants it while making more room.
    Joe

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, I looked up the zip. Little too far for me. I run coast to coast, but almost always south of Oklahoma city. I told Chirp about your stuff, he said he already knew about it. I tried bro.

Try selling it across craigslist.

9. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

Since you are in 'cleaning shop phase' don't start any projects like cleaning old tools. They will keep just fine as they are as long as they stay dry.
    If I were to restore them, I would build a big box, line it with plastic, and soak the dismantled parts first in TSP, then in phosphoric acid for a week or two.
    Then clean and paint. But then, old things seem to hold their value if you do nothing to it.