Suspendaslurry

Discussion in 'Investment casting Ceramic shell method' started by Jimmy Cogg, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Hi, I'm a new guy to the forum and wonder whether anyone has purchased Suspendaslurry in the UK?

I have been given a price for the product and am told it is in stock in the UK as follows.

64160 SUSPENDASLURRY FS 60 LB PAIL £88.87 +vat

63102 RANCO-SIL (A) 50X100 55lb BAG £41.51 +vat

63103 RANCO-SIL (B) 30X50 55lb BAG £38.99 +vat

Please note prices are subject to VAT and Delivery charges. Ransom & Randolph Exclusive Terms and Conditions apply.

Is this reasonable? Any comments very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

YUP. Very Reasonable. Pay the man. The FS is for non ferrous metals. So just no cast iron. They won't ship this stuff when the temperature drops so don't wait until winter.
    I keep my bucket in the house year round. The silicas are fine in the garage if kept dry and closed up. Be glad you can get the stuff. If you can pick it up, that's even better than
    paying for shipping. Some tips once you get it for ya... Open that bucket once a month and run a drill with a paddle on it for a couple of minutes. Also, as the level of the bucket goes down, use an old hotel key and scrap the stuff off the walls back into the liquid. It will dissolve in the mix. Once you get to about half way, it will start to thicken up on you. You'll add some distilled water to thin it back out a bit. Try to pay attention to the consistency of your new bucket. Some use a zahn cup, I don't.

Jimmy Cogg likes this.
  3. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Cheers Jason! One further question, do you wash/clean/de-silicone your wax patterns before dipping them in the slurry, if so, with what?

4. Jason

Jason Gold

nope... straight in the slurry. watch sharp edges... slurry doesn't like sharp corners. If you use some mold release, a cold soap and water rinse shouldn't hurt the wax. Dip after you dry them.
    Wax should pull right out of silicone without mold release. Gentle preheating silicone molds helps you get perfect surface finish when you pour waxes. Watch Vegoilguy on YT. He gave me props recently for this little trick. :)

5. Jimmy Cogg

Jimmy Cogg Silver

Brilliant! Thanks again.

Jason likes this.