SVSeeker Update

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by FishbonzWV, Jan 20, 2020.

1. PatJ

PatJ Silver

The maintenance of a steel hull in salt water, and the dock fees would be astronomical.
    If he ever launches it, it will just be used as a floating studio to continue his docudrama and generate sales of stuff.
    Nothing wrong with that either.

Jacques Cousteau made an industry out of making docudramas under the auspices of doing "scientific oceanographic research".
    It was never about research, as was mentioned in a book about Cousteau, it was about making money by creating documentaries using hand-picked physically attractive divers (actors).
    The "research" part was used to justify the money he made (he made lots of money, and got very famous).

I enjoyed most of Jacques Cousteau's shows, whether they were docudrama, or fake research.
    It was cool stuff.

But fraud is fraud, and there is no way to whitewash that.
    You can't put enough lipstick on that pig.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. OMM

OMM Silver

That is pretty clear and straight.

He has pulled the video for financial or possibly jailing reasoning. Maybe local charges have been laid...

Maybe a mixture of both. He has received 2/3 hate mail for every 1/3 joking off. Maybe at 2/3 the pay and some legal fees he has opened his eyes.

This is starting to get so political.... I for one don’t like the scandal!

I’d rather talk about Trump and his stupid wall, that’s not getting built!

3. PatJ

PatJ Silver

LOL, we have been down that road on "the other forum".
    A poll was posted by someone who shall go unnamed to protect the guilty "Will a Republican or Democrat win the next Presidential Election in the US".
    This was posted in Feb. 2016.
    That post quickly went right down the proverbial rabbit hole, and sort of proved the point that it is extremely unwise to discuss politics on a casting forum, such is the divide in this country at this point.
    In the old days, you could have civil discussions about any topic, and it was no big deal.
    Those days are long gone, and politics have become a Hatfield/McCoy/ bare knuckles brawl/fight to the death thing, with no winners.

Edit:
    I miss the "good old days".

OMM likes this.
  4. OMM

OMM Silver

I run a woodworking forum that is worldwide. I totally allow politics so long as gentlemen are being gentlemen. I also allow religion, so long as gentlemen are being gentlemen.

I personally love personal views. This thread has documented views as such with out hatred within membership. I personally like to hear people’s political views that do not discriminate Or be little someone else’s.

5. That! I was thinking this exactly, if he hosted half the people who have been promised a trip on the boat it would take five years full time. It's a great way to get rid of all those people close to launch time and have some sailing time all to yourself. There's no way that boat will pass a survey for insurance as it's currently built so it limits his options too.

Petee716 likes this.
  6. PatJ

PatJ Silver

In the early days of his boat build, he actually did castings, such as for a propeller as I recall.
    And to give credit where credit is due, Mr. Notorious (as he came to be known) made a great video in 2012 that clearly showed how to make a Delavan siphon nozzle burner.
    I recall watching it, I believe in 2012, and that is what got me started with Delavan-nozzle burners.
    So he has been building the boat for about 8 years? That is a loooooong boat build.

7. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I have to respectfully disagree. So far this thread has remained within reason because everyone is carrying a pitchfork. And there is an association for some of us with Doug because many of us have at least some connection with him and his channel and his participation on the other forum. Like Pat mentioned above, I learned from that burner video as well but I never subbed and won't be going back. So the discussion fits here I guess. It'll run its course, probably without a ban, hurt feelings among our community, or someone taking their ball and bat and going home.
    But to welcome stuff that's totally unrelated and controversial by its nature? How could that possibly benefit our community? Yes I enjoy the comraderie here and the tad bit of social interaction with the different skill sets and approaches, and personalities here make for interesting and sometimes enlightening conversation, but to stray too far from our primary focus here would be unhealthy for the site.

Pete

Melterskelter and Al2O3 like this.
  8. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

Of course "Super Dave" in that burner video is dallen from alloyavenue. So Zapins is not the only one of us who has gone out of his way to help Doug out. We've seen some of Bonz' castings being unboxed in one of the videos too, as well as in "what did you make today". I hope they don't feel too burned by all this.

I figure the video where he admitted it was a prank was filmed in advance, before it was obvious (to them) how upset so many people would get. With this thing a couple days behind us and the rage beginning to fade, I'm finding myself hopeful they will address this in a new video and admit that dragging it out over a whole day and 3 gut-wrenching videos was a bad judgement call, and maybe apologize for making his biggest supporters worry for so long. It might have even been kind of funny if he had just admitted it was a prank at the end of the first video...

We all make mistakes, and although I definitely won't forget how bad he burned my ass by basically calling me an idiot just for caring about him and his family after making me worry he was going to die all day, I also won't forget what an inspiration Doug has been to so many of us for so many years either.

When the smuggler Davos sailed in to the beseiged Storm's End through the Redwyne fleet's blockade under the cover of night with black sails and a boat load of onions and salt fish for the castle's starving occupants in my favourite book series, lord Stannis not only knighted him for his heroism, but also chopped off the last knuckle on all the fingers of his off hand for being a career criminal. "A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad the good". Ser Davos thought this was justice... So long as Stannis wielded the cleaver himself.

I like to think I am a forgiving person, but Doug is going to have to give up at least a little ground on his usual 'F you if you don't approve' stance (which I've always admired before this) this time to get me back. That, or else maybe let me chop off one of his fingers. I do still want to see if that thing will float!

Jeff

9. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Now I'm I'm just waiting to hear what kind of backlash he gets on a government level.
    You can get away with alot of things when you have the support of your community. But lose that support and your sure to find out that you have been doing things that your not allowed to do and will have to cease and desist...
    Out of all the people he just pissed off I'm certain there is atleast one that will become a thorn embedded and festering in his side for all time.

10. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I'm going to throw out a U tube video on how I've just been made homeless by my mortgage company after being laid off on boxing day and my familly and I are living in a temporary B&B with ex-cons and addicts, just for sh+ts and giggles... and a few more subs.

Except it's true.

Perhaps I need a U tube channel?

I still have some moral compass I hope.

11. PatJ

PatJ Silver

There is money to be made on ytube, but I consider the odds of getting rich on ytube about like the odds of winning the lotto (not good).

Mr. Notorious is an interesting study.
    He is smart, articulate, detailed, seems genuine, and yet he does things that most would consider "out there", or in other words "not really socially acceptable".

He likes to build stuff.
    He does not seem to like to finish stuff; his life seems to be in the build, and the interaction with people doing the build.
    He has morphed the boat thing into what appears to be a highly successful and large enterprise, although I am not sure he is actually making a profit when all is said and done.
    He certainly had a knack and a charm for getting people (I would call them suckers at this point, apologies to Michael, no slight intended) to travel across the world and work for free.

He has spun it into a Disney-like affair, with a lot of pomp, pageantry, and hoopla.
    There are similar boat builds out there on the internet, but they have not been spun into a Kardashian-like spectacle.

It seems obvious that like the Kardashians, the boat build is all driven by ytube views, and he works relentlessly to drive up views and stay at the center of the ytube universe of attention.

The hoax thing is just the part of his personality coming out that shows a lack of conscience.
    Well nobody every said you have to have a conscience to build a boat.
    In fact, some of the most successful businessmen I have worked with are greedy, lying, untrustworthy, back-stabbing individuals with absolutely no hint of conscience (not suggesting that Doug is that way. His actions speak for themself, and you can draw your own conclusions).

I prefer to run an honest business, and what you see is what you get when I work with clients.
    I tell my clients the truth, and if they don't like the truth, I don't work for them, and I find another client.
    I do extremely well with what I do, and I am proof positive that you can be honest and still make a lot of money.
    Once you start telling lies, then you always need a bigger lie to cover up for the previous lie.
    I prefer to just never lie to begin with.

Jason likes this.
  12. DavidF

He posted an apology video.
    Sounded to me like he is trying to stop the green from bleeding out of his account, and that he and the doctor friend are in a legal shit storm.

13. rocco

rocco Silver

Personal opinion, I just don't care anymore, I vote we put this topic to bed.

Al2O3, Petee716, _Jason and 1 other person like this.
  14. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I would speculate that any money he ever made off of this enterprise will be lost on legal fees, and I think that is a safe bet.

Yes but then we would have to "GET A LIFE", and stop living vicariously through others, and WE CAN'T HAVE THAT can we.
    I mean, ytube stuff is literally my only source of entertainment.

I don't give a rats ass about SV, but the entire spectacle he has created is an interesting study in stupidity, and the best way to keep from being a stupid person is to understand how others went wrong.

I am just killing time during work breaks.
    Blogging is my thing to avoid some of the drudgery and monotony of what I do all day, every day.
    Being stuck at a keyboard 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 8 months at a time is mentally challenging, and perhaps more difficult than any physical challenge.

15. rocco

rocco Silver

Just go melt something, it'll all be good.:p

16. DavidF

That's what I'm thinking....time to get some propane!!

17. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I like that idea, but the big work project is all encompassing mentally, and it takes everything I have, every day.
    Project is due end of March, so its like this big hour glass (shades of Wizard of Oz), with the phantom of doom standing behind it with his sickle.
    There are no options.
    Its either meet the deadline, or die trying; there are big bucks at stake.

I suppose they won't outright kill me if I miss the deadline, but I may not get any more work from them either, which would be a disaster.

18. rocco

rocco Silver

With apologies to Cheap Trick and Meatloaf, "Everything works if you let it".

19. PatJ

PatJ Silver

I will add one more blog, and then I will need to put the nose back on the grindstone, and stop blogging.

The SV debacle reminds me of Orson Welles's "War of the Worlds" broadcast, which is said to have caused panic and mass hysteria.
    The extent of the hysteria is debated, some claim it was on a limited scale, but none the less it clearly demonstrated the power of mass media.

Welles caught a lot of flak for his broadcast, but even he announced at the beginning of his program that it was a ruse, and that is the difference between what Welles did and SV did.

Funny how history repeats itself sometimes, on a small scale.

20. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Just one more blog.
    One person made the comment on SV's latest video that who are ytube video watchers that they think they can pile it on someone they only know through a video channel.
    Lots of truth to that statement, however...........since SV felt no shame with his little trick, then I feel no shame dumping acerbic comments on his channel just for fun.

So for your entertainment, here is the comment I posted on his latest "apology" video today.
    He will never see it in the mountain of comments, but I enjoyed posting it, and like self-centered SV, that is all that matters to me.

The silver lining to the dark cloud is that he has demonstrated precisely how to "Chernobyl" your own ytube channel.
    It was all good fun for the actors, but like Chernobyl and Humpty Dumpty, rebuilding good will and trust may take a few thousand years.
    The die-hards will stick with him no matter what stupid stuff he does; they will lap his stuff up like hogs at a trough, barely taking time to burp and fart.
    I can't discredit all the good information he has posted here; it is significant.
    But is it with disbelief that someone would make their own proverbial "land mine", and then gleefully jump on it.
    There are several videos online of self-immolation by individuals, and I can only guess that he is trying to get more views than those videos.