The Best Molder you will Ever Get to Hear From

Discussion in 'Links to useful information' started by HT1, Jul 18, 2018.

1. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

https://www.youtube.com/user/sandrammer/videos?shelf_id=1&view=0&sort=dd

If you are Not Following Thomas Kitchen you are a fool, Like Me He was A Molder in the US Navy, I regularly ask him questions on how to do things, his Videos are long, but Guys, there is no better source for Knowledge, GO Binge watch and Like all his stuff... You wont be disappointed

V/r HT1

John Homer, Tobho Mott and DavidF like this.
  2. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Sandrammer's not exactly Steven Spielberg; his channel is set up more like a college theory course in sand molding and foundry work than an afternoon at the movies. People ought to know this going in.

But you don't drop out of college just because sometimes the prof can be a little boring! I never miss a lecture.

HT1, I thought of you in yesterday's video when he started showing off his Navy plaques. That retired master pattern for the ship's plaque that he rescued was so cool, I wish he would have included some close-up shots of it.

Jeff

Jason likes this.
  3. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

send him a Comment, I bet he would be happy to

4. Tobho Mott

Good idea, I'll do it.

Jeff

5. Jason

Jason Gold

I've watched a little of his stuff. He's very knowledgeable, but God is HE BORING! I really hope I don't come across that boring. :oops: If I do, PLEASE TELL ME!
    I guess if I was into the sand thing, I'd be all over it because the guy has forgotten more about hot metal than I know.:D

6. Tobho Mott

Well, I did leave a comment - he replied that he'd include some closeups of the plaques and the master pattern at the start of the next video, cool!

Jeff

7. :rolleyes:

8. Only kidding:p:D

9. PatJ

PatJ Silver

He has some good videos posted.

The "boring" factor depends on whether various people in these type videos are doing something I am interested in.
    If I am interested in a topic, I can watch all day; and if not, then I use the video speed adjustment to run it fast, or just pick various points along the video and skim quickly through it to get to the part I want to see.

Glad people post videos because I use info I get there a lot, especially to repair/renovate things, but also with casting and pattern making.
    I will get a video account set up one day on Vimeo. I am done with big-G; they have gone way too "big brother" on me.

The non-talkers are annoying, but I understand why they do it, since I despise hearing myself speak on camera. Much better a non-talker than no video.

There was one guy who was a machinist-type cam-guy on Y-tube, and he went to a machinist show, and someone approached him at the show and said "Hi, I like your videos, but you talk too much", the guy responded "No I don't", and the other guy said "YES YOU DO!".
    Hilarious stuff, and yes, the guy did/does talk way too much, but as with some we have seen even here (no names mentioned), they are shilling for views, and getting paid per view, so more is more.
    Paid or not paid, much of it is good information, and free too so who can complain, but I do skim through most of the modern videos.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

I just bought this book. When I'm done reading it, I'll send it to sandrammer. Found mine for 5bucks online.

Melterskelter likes this.
  11. _Jason

_Jason Silver

I have watched several of his videos (not in order). You have to commit to it. There's a lot of good stuff there, but they do run a tad long.

I do believe it commendable that Sandrammer is trying to pass on his life's knowlege for free. So many of these guys try to monetize this stuff but Sandrammer just wants people to learn from his experience so the knowlege is passed on, which is rare these days.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    dennis, Lemmy, Jason and 2 others like this.
  12. Tobho Mott

He seems to be posting videos a little more often the past few weeks, which is great. And after I asked, in the next video he gave us a closer look as promised at his plaques, some castings he'd made, and the rescued master pattern for the Thresher's ship's plaque. I found the lesson on Monel quite interesting, I hadn't known much about the stuff before.

Jeff

13. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

One product he referred to in one of his videos was a sticky putty he called in Navy parlance "monkey shit." He indicated this was really great stuff in certain molding circumstances. But, I am unsure of the type of material he is referencing. Is it the common butyl putty we use for bedding hardware on boats? Is it duct sealing putty? Anybody know for sure.

I agree that his he gives some real gems of information but it does take some determination to stick to stay with him given his delivery style.

Denis

14. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Melterskelter likes this.
  15. Melterskelter

Thanks, seemed like what he was talking about. I needed some last night to lift a pattern with nothing to grab---odd turn of events as ordinarily pulls differently. So, I improvised with duct tape. Worked OK, but duct sealer would have been better. I'll order some to have on hand.

Thanks for the info, HT1. I figured you'd know.

Denis

16. Melterskelter

IMG_4800.JPG

Just a little follow up on the monkey s##t sealant. Since HT1 thought the civilian version was probably sold as "duct sealant," I found some for a couple bucks on Amazon and ordered it. What I got is a very sticky, almost fibrous, fairly stiff, grey clay-like material that is probably what Sandrammer referenced in his video. I think it will be good to have in the shop for various purposes including lifting patterns on occasion.

Denis

17. Tobho Mott

Nice, no more hunting for the roll of duct tape...

Jeff

18. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Oh i Miss the smell of Monkey Poo! get it on your hands and they will be grey for a week
    V/r HT1

19. Jason

Jason Gold

This magical stuff sounds like "Pig Putty" we had in the AF. It was a hand kneaded 2 part epoxy playdoh that cured rock hard. You could take a bullet in an oil pan or fuel tank and seal it with this stuff. Been there, done that.

Yes this stuff is expensive! Worth EVERY penny!
    https://www.newpig.com/pig-multi-purpose-epoxy-putty/p/PTY201

20. Rtsquirrel

Rtsquirrel Silver

For those of us in the States, the 1 lb. packages of Duct Seal are available in sLowe's & Home Desperate, in the electrical asile.