Thinking about home security surveillance

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by OMM, Nov 30, 2019.

1. OMM

OMM Silver

Has anybody taken the dip???

The Black Friday weekend deals got me to go out and buy A new thermostat for my home. I am a bit old school, I’ve been refusing to upgrade for many years. I still have the Mercury style thermostat. After all the discounts, I bought a Nest third generation for $132cad (out the door).

With the black Friday discounts being applicable until Wednesday (in my parts), i’m thinking about adding on cameras.

I don’t have fancy cars (you can go to doors down for that and they were broken into). I do have two dogs that go stupid barking if something odd is in their sites (but they’re both 10 years old). Now 40% of my neighbourhood is videoed.

My next-door neighbour had his first videoed package thief on Friday. I get it, Christmas is around the corner and Amazon now drops on the door, and the thieves are looking. Somebody is at home almost 24/7, and in my situation and most of the time the dogs alert for a non-doorbell delivery.

Nest is now been purchased by Google. And I’m learning about their high fees.

Anybody care to share their experiences?

2. I bought some generic wifi cameras for $80 each in 2015, they save video to flash memory cards. Almost all the cheap stand alone no-name cameras are borderline useless: the motion detect either triggers full time or not at all. Earlier this year all three developed short circuit capacitors in the power supply right across the +V rail and ground but were able to be repaired. They pretty much record full time to the flash card and wear them out every six months, I just fitted some fresh flash memory for the festive season. They need to be connected to the Internet via the home router or they do not record at all, probably because they rely on an Internet time server for the time and date stamps. They do have a deterrent factor working or not and give away their location at night with a dim red glow from the IR LED illumination. A much better bet in hindsight would be the units that connect to a hard drive based storage base station.

If I were to build a custom system I would use those $1 RF Doppler people detectors to trigger some cameras to record as video motion detect algorithms pick up too many windy branches or passing cars. My cheap and nasty wifi cameras are supposed to have alarm trigger inputs but they are not mentioned in the instructions, despite the camera configuration having a box to tick in the config software.

3. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I run a system at our business. Outside cameras to monitor comings and goings.
    Here's what I have found.
    Good quality cameras are the heart of the system which means hard wired 1080p. Wifi cameras are 720p and are used for closeup work.
    My first system was from CCTV and they let you build your own package, I chose Sony cameras and medium and long range viewing, 1 Tb hard drive. With 4 cameras it would store about 28 days of 24/7 data. The system box failed after about 5 years. I had one camera fail and was replace under warranty. Hard wired cameras are limited to 150 feet with siamese cables.
    I bought a NiteOwl system from Best Buy to replace it in a hurry and added two of their cameras to the network. It came with 1Tb drive and the storage went down to about 13 days. Cameras are not as good as Sony's but work for closer viewing.
    NiteOwls' remote monitoring is slow to connect because you view it through their servers. My first system, I was direct connecting to our system.
    I've also installed a Wifi system. Camera quality is just not there.
    I need a 2Tb system hard drive.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Arlo, automatically records and also alerts you when motion is detected right to your cell phone so you have time to load the gun...

5. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

6. Jason

Jason Gold

I have a 300dollar 8camera rig from sams club. I have to say, after installing a decent fan in the DVR and replacing the BS wall warts with some gear with some proper amps, it's been a jewel. It emails you with alerts. I learned to be careful with outside cameras on the alerts. First time I did, I had 400 emails by the time I drove to the airport!:eek: (15minute drive)
    Now it alerts on interior cameras and I seriously tweaked the field of view for alerts on the cameras looking at doors. The tech support and instructions are a JOKE, but I figured it out over time.
    It has an app that lets us do just about everything and the best part, the system is NOT WIRELESS! It was worth spending a day hard wiring and chasing crap through the attic.
    Mine is qc system which get really bashed online. You just have to be smarter than what you are working with.

7. Robert

Robert Silver

Check out the Wyze cameras on Amazon. Super cheap and very nice images. I bought 3 about a year ago and I recommend them. I also have 2 ring cameras. They are nice but you can't beat the cost of the Wyze.
    Robert

8. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I have Wyze camera's around the compound. I like them. They are cheap enough that I have one mounted on the 3D printer and in the CNC router enclosure. 3D printer is on a remote outlet so I can kill it if something goes pear shaped. Router is still under redesign so I don't have a kill switch it on it yet (but it has an E-stop that I can tie in a remote to easily when the time comes).

9. Robert

Robert Silver

Clever to put cams on those tools!
    R

10. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I got a setup through a local company at work a few years ago. Hik-Connect. Cameras outside suck at night. I had them replaced because of some kind of degenerating internal reflective issue with the IR. I assumed they'd installed new old stock. I only have need for them in the 9winter so I can see if I need to plow. The first time I needed them this year they were a total failure so I have to get them back in to replace them again.
    Now it sounds like hikvision (chinese) might get blacklisted by the US like Huawey over the Uigher surveillance issue so I'm wondering if I'll just end up getting the service pulled out from under me anyway.

11. I wonder if you have installed this surveillance system. I'm also thinking of increasing the security of my property after a few robberies in my neighborhood.

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Besides moving, you'd do good with a big dog and a loud shotgun! Security cameras are getting better every year. I suggest searching youtube and see what's good these days. If you need cheap and easy, the ring alarms are decent and very flexible. You can even stick them on outside gates! The only thing they lack right now is an outside siren to scare off the scumbags. For video, I use regular cameras. A multi layered approach is your best defense.

13. Fairdoub

Fairdoub Lead

I've been exploring smart home options, and I've heard good things about smart home systems. They offer a range of security solutions, including cameras, that you can customize to your needs. It's all about having peace of mind, especially during times when package thefts seem to be on the rise. Plus, having the ability to keep an eye on things remotely can be a game-changer. Here's the link with some info: https://www.vivint.com/packages/home-automationIt's awesome that you've got the dogs as extra security, but having some tech backup isn't a bad idea. With all the advances in smart home tech, it's easier than ever to have a little more control and security in your space.

14. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Spambots!

15. rocco

rocco Silver

Exactly what I was thinking. Unlike most of them however, at least this spambot is right on topic. I think with the recent advances in AI, we're likely to see a lot more well targeted spam like this but that's a whole different topic perhaps for another thread.

16. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

https://www.harborfreight.com/home/...torage-and-4-indooroutdoor-cameras-63890.html
    About 5 years, I added 3 additional cameras, some extension cords to get a couple of cameras way out into difficult to cover areas
    added IR spotlights ( This is a big deal without the IR lights you cant see well at all at night! with the IR lights, I can see better on the cameras at night than I can with the Security lights on, and to everyone else its pitch black)
    https://www.amazon.com/DMetric-IR-I...=B07387VCF7&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_1_t

my cameras already Paid for themselves, a drunk Neighbor ran into my parked van in the middle of the night, sent the video from my home cameras to the Insurance company they paid immediately ZERO argument

I would stay away from the Wireless cameras unless you really have a reason to use them,
    get the Biggest monitor you can to watch the cameras, i have a 50 inch in the master bedroom with them up when ever I'm home.
    the DVR with 7 cameras gives me about 5 days recording

if you have watched any of my videos, alot of my tools are outside under a car port , I dont hide the cameras, and have alot of motion lights, so if you wander up in the middle of the night you get blasted with the most powerful lights I could find 250Watt

https://www.amazon.com/Explux-Equiv...B07SS1BH1L&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_grid_rp_0_44_t

i also have a set of these Driveway alarms, I put a very loud one in the garage so Intruders can hear it , i have an addition alarm in the master Bedroom so I'm awake when you get to my gate
    https://www.amazon.com/Driveway-Wir...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

My neighbor recently got the neighboor hood porch pirates with their ring, why you think they walked past all my expensive tools and went to my neighbors , my place looks intimidating the neighbors didn't

my 2 cents

V/r HT1

P.S. if your interested let me Know, ill shoot some pictures to really give you the Low-down, the light tower is overkill but it deters;-)

17. Jason

Jason Gold

I like the idea of a light tower. My chimney would work great for this purpose! I could stand to have some more IR light.

Found a slick use for the cheapy interior motion detectors that work with the ring. Ya stick those suckers up outside and just change the alert sound. Just be sure they aren't set to sound the alarm.
    Now I don't have to wait for a camera to get triggered. For the couple hundred bucks the ring system costs, there is no excuse these days not to have at least SOME kind of warning and protection.

What's the current draw on those IR spots you linked? Got a kill-o-watt?

18. Just fence the yard and get a couple of blue heeler cattle dogs: they don't make a sound as they sneak up behind an intruder and bite the ankles and they'll keep each other occupied. They need constant attention and lots of exercise though.

19. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

No idea on the draw, has to be low, LED only on at night, But for the piece of mind its worth it

here is the light in the tower, that's 2 inch conduit and a custom bent Box a couple of 2X4 and some C clamps

I have 4 of those lights this one had to get above the porch to get light where I need it the rest are just mounted under the eves of the house

IMG_8672.jpeg

Jason likes this.