This mornings melt.

Discussion in 'Investment casting Ceramic shell method' started by amber foundry, Aug 10, 2021.

1. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

Just poured 7 shells this morning, around 38 kilo in two melts. All came out without any major issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

goatfarmer11 likes this.
  2. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

Pre heated shells to 560 c but will go to 650 next time.

3. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Nice!

Are we talking fahrenheit or celcius? I think its higher burn out/fire temp if we are talking fahrenheit

Do you burn out inside the electric kiln or just bake them after burn out? How do your elements hold up with the smoke / fire if its inside?

4. amber foundry

amber foundry Copper

Hi Zapins, yes I was working in centigrade. I have built a furnace specifically for burning out the shells, I do them singularly
    but it appears to work well. Ideally I would do it outside but due to space everything is in house.
    I use the kiln for burning out investment flasks, the largest was around 70 kilo, after burnout there are no deposits inside the kiln, the elements are as good as when I started. I also pre heat the shells in the kiln as I have limited space in the foundry and I presumed I'd get a more even heat over the whole shell.
    [​IMG]

Deepeezie and Jason like this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

Zap, the crap just burns off the elements. Doesn't hurt them a bit.
    I like his dewax setup.650c

I run shells up to around 900c before pouring bronze. For thicker stuff, I suppose you could run a couple hundred degrees cooler without any real problems.
    I do the two step method. Dewax and slow cool to room temp. That's why I ring test the shells for integrity, plug holes and add layers if necessary.
    I pour after the next heat.

amber foundry likes this.