Thoughts on Block Building for melting?

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Preston Smith, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Preston Smith

Preston Smith Copper

Petee mentioned his neighbor quietly built a block building in the backyard of his suburban home for bronze pouring (http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/new-tools-sculptor-retired.2399/). I live in the suburbs in Michigan and am trying to figure out where to work year round. Our garage is unheated, and I'm struggling with where/how to keep green sand from freezing.

What are some considerations for building a small, block building as a suburban micro-foundry? It's been twenty years since I've done any block work, and I was an amateur back then.

How to keep it insulated/heated when I'm not melting comes to mind. I'd be tempted to just glue xps insulation boards to the walls except immediately around the furnace. Other thoughts?

2. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I would definitely look at the newer insulated building blocks on the market. They might make for a more comfortable building in both summer and winter. A mini-split, good general insulation, insulated panels to block windows when not in use---might be very energy efficient, quiet, and easy to lay up. I do not have personal experience, though. Just sayin I would check it out.

Denis

3. I have a concrete block workshop located in the tropics with the ends facing East-West and they are in shade in the morning and afternoon and I still notice significant thermal inertia: cool until midday and warm during the night even with the roof insulated.
    You'll need excellent ventilation for a furnace, so a rooftop awning open on walls on two to three sides for the furnace would be ideal with enough height to allow the exhaust gasses to cool a bit.... or just wheel the furnace outdoors when using it.