Tumblehome/Side recurve of Pouring Basin

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Melterskelter, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

There was much discussion previously about pouring basin shape Much centered about separating the basin itself from the sprue by a partial dam-like bar. But I do not recall much talk of the shape of the side walls and the intersection of side walls with the floor of the basin. I have been gradually changing my pouring basin shape over the last 2 years in man effort to minimize spilling of metal

At first I simply increased the size of the basin. But I used rather rounded intersecting floor to bottom transitions. The increased size helped but it was still easy to have metal slosh into and then out of the basin. Then I started making the intersection sharper. That helped a lot. And today I undercut the edge creating tumblehome and used a sharp intersection. The difference is remarkable. Metal just stays in the basin. If your aim is a bit off to start with and the metal hits the bottom at an angle one goes rolling off toward a side it just gets rolled tack like the action of a snowplow blade. I was amazed.

Here is a pic of today’s basin. I talked it to make it a little easier to make out. The talc fell like snow so that the undercut region is not talked much. It measures about 3,5 by 5.5 “

E40AC09D-71EA-4AD3-9F08-54D49D175F16.jpeg

Denis

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Chazza likes this.
  2. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

Awesome! We have played around with a lot of designs and one very similar to this one has been the best so far. We have a very hard time using the spill over/ dam method as we have to pour so fast with an autopour system it jumps out of the mold. We had to stay with the more traditional designs. Some of our new castings are so thin we pretty much have to shoot straight down the sprue in order to fill them.... very difficult to make consistently!

Melterskelter and HT1 like this.
  3. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

back in the Navy we saw similiar issues with Dams, you either ended up with an excessively tall cope so you had room to make a proper dam,
    it was just easier to give the sprue a little triangle , and hit it directly and hard .
    eventually that became a challenge, trying to hit a half inch sprue from a #70 without breaking the stream, letting it gulp air , or spilling any metal

V/r HT1

4. Melterskelter

Ha, I reread my post and see that auto-correct changed "talced" to "talked." I always appreciate the help. ;-) Arrgggh.

Denis

5. The programmers are pretty sure no one uses technical language other than theirs. And we know they're the smartest group...

Tobho Mott likes this.
  6. rocco

rocco Silver

In their defense, I think this might be the first time I've seen the word talced used in a sentence. ☺

Tobho Mott likes this.
  7. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

No doubt a lot of fun! Our autopour system loves to create havoc with small pour cups and light weight pouring jobs. It is more common to just overfill and spill into the next mold than to break the stream on the autopour.

8. Melterskelter

Here is a recent cast result that shows tumble home that I use pretty well.

The tumble home has really worked extremely well to completely eliminate slopping of iron out of the basin as I pour. I am reposting it here as it is otherwise buried in a thread on windmill parts.

Wishbone10.JPG Wishbone12.JPG

Denis

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    Chazza, Tobho Mott and Billy Elmore like this.