Tuyere question....

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Fasted58, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Fasted58

Fasted58 Silver

Dimensions from the seller site: Salamander A6/ 5-7/64", A8/ 6-1/8", A10/6-1/4". These should fit OK in a 9" bore, right? I will order crucibles before pouring the castable to be sure of bore sizing. Initial melts will be aluminum, aluminum/ copper later. Would like to get into iron someday but I'd probably build another foundry w/ oil burner. That is well down the road though.

Original plan was 10" bore w/ all Kastolite 30 wall. I now have 1" Inswool in the base and lid, probably should have used 2" of Inswool in hindsight. Revised plan is now 2" Inswool in the wall w/ 9" bore, so estimated 1.25" Kastolite over the Inswool... or whatever the Inswool compresses to. Keg ID is 15.5"

9" bore form is arbitrary number, Quik-Tubes come nested so choosing one off the shelf can be between 9-10". I'll know more when I finish full scale drawing and shop the tube form. Plenty of time to get this right... or right as possible. :cool:

2. Fasted58

Fasted58 Silver

If replacing or repairing the cast tuyere in the furnace wall will be too much of a pain I may be better off using a straight cast in bore of 1-1/4" to 2" w/ DOM tubing as a form. I'd rather live w/ replacing the flare end and or burner tube occasionally than repairing the cast-in tuyere. However, I could cast the straight burner tube bore and try a cast cylindrical insert w/ formed tuyere.

Maybe that would be the best of both worlds.

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I have no experience with the burner you are going to use, but I suspect you will have lots of heat for melting aluminum. So, wall mass may not mater all that much. On the other hand, you may very well want to increase crucible size. So, for that reason, opting for more bore size may be a consideration.

I favor your idea of making your tuyere not an integral part of the furnace hardface. I think it would be a good idea to cast a straight bore tuyere hole somewhat larger than you think you will need in case you change burner designs. Then fill the hole with your tuyere casting that fits your current burner. The fit of the tuyere casting into the hole you make does not have to be perfect as you can easily stuff a 1/4'' gap with wool.

Denis

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

2164D29B-7B47-4F00-9BAB-153BED43B5E7.jpeg “New and Improved” tuyere. Well, with chamfers anyway.

I fired an old style and one with chamfers together. Neither have cracks. ;-)

Denis