Vacuum/Forced Air Cart

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Al2O3, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I decided to build a cart for a vacuum source for lost foam casting. It uses a pair of three stage vacuum motors. I’ve discussed these here on the forum before. The spec sheet is attached at the bottom of this post. They can pull 10” Hg vacuum when dead headed. If you connect them pneumatically in series (outlet of one to the inlet of the other as shown below) they can achieve a ½ atmosphere of vacuum.

1 - 2, 3-stage in series.jpg

I’ll set it up so I can run one, or both, either in parallel or series. It could also be used as up to a 190cfm burner blower.

Here’s the chassis.

IMG_6222.JPG IMG_6223.JPG
    IMG_6224.JPG

The control panel goes in the slanted section. I need a buy a couple components to complete it. -More to come.

Best,
    Kelly

Attached Files:

Melterskelter and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. Al2O3

Made some good progress today on the cart. I like to keep everything together for storage so was looking at how to make storage provisions for the vacuum hose. I grabbed a mandrel bend from the scrap bin at work and cut it up on my vertical band saw.

5.JPG

I added a couple hose nipples and here's how it all came together.

6.JPG 7.JPG

I wanted to add speed control for the vacuum motors to dial vacuum levels. I got two router speed controllers on Amazon for $15 each delivered. I thought I'd take the circuit boards from them but all the board did was connect a big potentiometer, a 120vac receptacle, a switch......I was basically going to have to unsolder every joint on the circuit board so I just decided to use them as is and if I ever need to replace one, it will be quick and easy. The vacuum gauge was a $4 add on to the Amazon order.

8 Controls.jpg

I added some paint.....and re-assembled.

9.jpg 10.jpg

I need to make a couple parts to plumb the vacuum ports in the various configurations but it's pretty close to done.

Looks like it's going a 100 miles/hr standing still.

11.JPG

Best,
    Kelly

oldironfarmer and Al Puddle like this.
  3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Cute robot! Whats his name :D

4. Jason

Jason Gold

You're going to pull a vacuum through scat tubing?:confused: I've got 19miles of that stuff on the airplane. Just never seen it used for vac.

Got a different hose for that. But at that size and length, would not be cheap.:eek:

5. Al Puddle

Al Puddle Silver

That's a nice looking sucker.

oldironfarmer likes this.
  6. Al2O3

It's rated for 20"Hg vacuum.

My initial thoughts would have suggested her name....but let's not go there....Jason is watching.

How about Kirby?

Best,
    Kelly

Jason likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

Nope. Rosie.
    lf.jpg

8. rocco

rocco Silver

Rosie works for me.

9. Al2O3

That's a possibility......I loved the Jetsons.

Best,
    Kelly

10. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Rosie has my vote as well....

11. PatJ

PatJ Silver

Ditto.
    I think it is set in stone at this point.
    Great fab work with a nice finished look (unlike my stuff).