Wanted: Small one-time odd job metal casting pendants

Discussion in 'Request casting service' started by Perish4, May 1, 2020.

1. Perish4

Perish4 Lead

Haha thanks, let me know how it goes and if you have a quote for it.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I do them for $20. Each no problem. Minimum quantity of 50 plus $20.00 an hour for cad modeling, 3d printed master pattern fee, and a mold fee of $45.00 for the silicon mold that will ship along with the castings.
    Hell considering the original one sold for $1,100 bucks, it's a bargain. ;)
    https://auction.screenbid.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/109/lot/65359/

:cool::D:p

OMM and Jason like this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

That's a really good price for 50! I'd need $300 a pop in silver. Probably a couple of grand each in 14k.

5. DavidF

Did a quick cad model in alibre and rendered it. Im thinking that this is the coin as it was new. Next step is to move the model into Z brush and beat it up some to put the age on it... Well after a quick test print to make sure it looks ok...
    Screenshot_3.jpg

6. DavidF

first edition didnt look quite right when printed.. I went back and reduced the edge fillet and enlarged the eye at the top.. printing second go round now....
    Screenshot_1.jpg

7. Jason

Jason Gold

yeah I was going to say the bail was too small, but you saw that.

8. DavidF

Yea, I went back and traced it off the original picture this time...also made the center boss not so high on it, but you cant really see it on the renders...
    Screenshot_2.jpg

9. DavidF

Should be good enough to move into Z brush now.. although I could just beat up the wax prior to casting and keep from having to do the extra cad model time and making a second mold.
    Then again maybe I can get perish4 to send me a bottle of the blue cast resin for my printer to try out. ;) Then I wouldn't need to make any molds and could go right from print to casting...
    Hit the fdm prints with a bit of blue lacquer, think the second one is pretty good...
    20200509_134552.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

I dont want to see any print lines or I'll lose all respect for you!

11. DavidF

These were just for getting a rough idea. Ill be printing them on the resin printer when I go to make the master pattern....

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Hey David... I just got a fat ass block of graphite for my glass nightmare and I thought about all the yaywhoo's on YT pouring coins in graphite. Did ya consider this method for these coins?
    You could crank these out by the dozen in just minutes.

13. DavidF

Actually I though of cuddlefish bone casting....

14. rocco

rocco Silver

I vote for that! We don't see a lot of cuttlebone casting here, it would be very interesting to see how that comes out.

15. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

isn't ciddlebone one use??? if I cannot repeat, I'm notinterested

16. DavidF

After one try you wont try it again!! It stinks!!

17. rocco

rocco Silver

The pattern is not damaged so it's single use in the same sense that a green sand mold is.

18. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

10 minutes of reearch... most cuddlebone pieces, I could do 10 at a time using a matchplate and petrobond. im having trouble seeing the appeal, save perhaps as a ... prestige piece.. like having a custom smithed knife ... I understand,,, but i dont get it

V/r HT1
    P.S. I know that makes little sense... roll with it ;-)

19. DavidF

It wouldn't be for me doing it. It would be so the original poster could do them himself...
    Not everyone has 200 lbs of petro bond and foundry equipment in their shop.
    This they could carve out and just melt the pewter on the stove in a spoon...

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  20. OMM

OMM Silver

David, pretty neat little project you got going there. What is the diameter you came up with? To me it it looks close to 35 mm or 1 3/8"