Wax piston sprue extruder?

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Zapins, May 21, 2018.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I cut the bearing plate and drilled it so it fits onto a channel. I'm thinking of welding a frame on the side of the channel to support the extruder barrel and then using a strap of steel to clamp the pipe down in place.
    20191202_194749.jpg

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Man this is slow going. Still making the support struts for the damn thing. I made 2 bands to strap it down tightly onto the frame. Then I'll cut out these two plates so the tube can sit on them. Then starts the welding of he frame and spacing everything out.

2-3 days left for fabbing it all up.

20191204_185821.jpg 20191204_185838.jpg

3. Jason

Jason Gold

looks like you used a HF ring roller on those..

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yes.... horrible freight strikes again. Lots of chewed up metal surface. Meh! It's also quite under powered. Maybe I'll make one for myself later on that can bend thicker stock without eating the surface up.

5. Jason

Jason Gold

I can smell junk tools a mile away. Plus I own that same pos.:oops: I'm working on buying a bridgeport tomorrow and if I can find a lathe, junk tools will be a distant memory.;)

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

HA! no you'll just be finding yourself more cheap tooling for the machines to get up and running... machine tooling of good quality is expensive...

Jason likes this.
  7. Jason

Jason Gold

point taken...:(

8. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I know of a guy selling a nice 70's Southbend heavy 10 lathe in NJ. but don't know of anything in Texas.

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Tons of Bridgeport's and southbends on the east coast. I go to my local fleamarket in CT and buy tooling by the bucket load for cheap. I've got buckets already pre bought before I even own a mill. One day I'll snag one and be set. Best of luck with the purchase. I've still got 2.5 yrs left before I'll really have a chance to use my tools regularly.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Fingers crossed boys.. Its a long haul home. And no, they wouldnt let the tandem axel trailer go outta town:rolleyes::mad:
    20191205_181623.jpg

OMM and joe yard like this.
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

Stopped for a pee break. Getting a big 10mpg.:( Towing real easy.. no sway at all. Rough roads in Louisiana actually rattled OPEN my cargo straps and loosened!:mad: Stupid harbor freight. This is the fix for this nonsense.

15756039902073732602800300727410.jpg

I got the show flipped over... helps with the top heaviness.
    15756040884667274423385627322960.jpg

OMM likes this.
  12. OMM

OMM Silver

Southbends heavy or light are just light. Great to learn on.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

HOME at last. Went off without a hitch right up to the point I drove the forklift through the grass and got it stuck. :rolleyes::oops:
    Wrecker service came and pulled it out, loaded it up and dropped it off at the house for 125bucks. How embarrassing.
    20191206_171326.jpg

This is not it's final home, just a good spot to make a mess
    20191206_144509.jpg 20191206_164821.jpg
    Anyways, she's home and I'm crawling in bed for a week.
    Sorry Zap, I'll start a bridgeport for dummies thread.

14. Zapins

Zapins Gold

No problem haha. Man that's a good looking machine. I'm a little jellyfish about it :) How much did you end up paying for her? Everything working? How are the ways?

15. Jason

Jason Gold

There is a little scaling left on the knee, but not much. :-/ I'm going to tear it down and do some housekeeping. There isn't a lot of backlash for the most part, but the table is doing some wonky thing when I change directions. It came with a bridgeport vise, and a 3jaw chuck that mounts to the table either horizontal or vertical. The guys filled up a big box with more cutters than I know what to do with along with a shitload of r8 collets and some drill chucks. I saw a fly cutter and boring bar setup in the box tonight. The real head spinner is a contraption that weighs about 80lb and has a disc on it with a ton of tiny holes. It's also got a 3jaw on it. (guess what it is yet? :p) It has a handful of discs that go to it for god knows what..... Needless to say, I doubt I'll be making gears anytime soon. Matt told me it's an indexer and should be worth a few coins. It's BP 1 built in 1981 so it's in the 2000lb range, with a 3phase 2hp. Tonight I tried the power feed on the X and she worked just fine and jogged too. There is a spray mister thingy on it and I'm told it doesn't work, so that will need some investigating. It has the pull oil pump for the ways on it, but needs a tank.
    Oh the price???? F R E E!

16. DavidF

Get your own space Thread Jacker!!! ;):(:(

17. OMM

OMM Silver

It is called a dividing head with indexing plates with a three jaw chuck. Some even come with tilting head. There is more than cutting gears. I get my students to do this simple project(to +-0.001”).
    E6AF0007-AC4D-4BE1-BAC4-D240564600F9.jpeg
    I got rid of mine when I got a high Precision (Hauser) tilting rotary table with three jaw chuck.
    The rotary table measures in degrees of 5 seconds, And the tilting measures in degrees of 1 minute.
    20E9F4C4-70D2-45F0-BBAB-C09A750AE4F2.jpeg
    DD264CF2-BEE0-42A5-8A2D-F41ED88D9ED5.jpeg E6C1ACC4-5B82-4AC5-9497-6F7C00788275.jpeg
    [For those who are a little bit confused (or not in the know) there’s 360° and one Circle, there’s 60 minutes in every degree and there’s 60 seconds in every minute (or there is 1,296,000 seconds in every circle)]
    Zap sorry for the D rail as well on the thread.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  18. DavidF

and there is 4 minutes 20 seconds worth of slop in a worn bridge port............;):eek::eek:

19. OMM

OMM Silver

More! This is why DRO’s became so popular in the 70s and 80s. Backlash is no longer counted.

You’d be surprised that most people don’t even know how to read a vernier scale, never mind a vernier scale in degrees minutes and seconds.
    Here is example; can anybody read this without a machinist background in x°,y’,z“?
    79F20C2A-979E-4A82-8EE2-0FAE62B24117.jpeg
    2B8639EE-DA02-4D1B-8B9E-35D6582B8E68.jpeg

If you want to try your thumb at it, don’t visit the next page for the answer! Give your answer on this page and then proceed.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  20. Jason

Jason Gold

I did once upon a time. Here's my wag without cheating... 56degrees and then it had something to do with the lines that line up. Something with the 25/50 and I can't remember where ya get the seconds... School us bro.