Wax techniques

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by fakedoc, Dec 7, 2018.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

And just to F with Jason, here is a tig weld on wax... 20190427_204713.jpg

2. Jason

Jason Gold

HA...

3. Jason

Jason Gold

Thought this would be a good section to add this. I wanted to revisit making wax sheets. So I nabbed the wifes parchment paper and folded a paper box and stapled the corners. Melted some wax and dumped it in. Viola! The wax just falls out and is nice and smooth. This is a quicker option than the soaked plaster mold. No bubbles and the depth is easily controlled by the amount of wax poured in. The sheet curled up along the edges, but 95% of it is usable. Floating wax on hot water works well too, but this is cleaner and neater. I did this on a very flat section of garage floor. My workbench is anything but level.:oops:

20190520_005731.jpg

20190520_010054.jpg

20190520_013137.jpg

oldironfarmer likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

WINNING!!!

20190520_230222.jpg

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

6. Jason

Jason Gold

You'll never get it this laser flat. Parchment paper is 1 dollar at the dollar tree. Dont be a tightass!:p

7. Jason

Jason Gold

Hey zap.. found one of my flatter silicones. After precisely weighing wax, I'm banging out sheets easier than the parchment paper. Thanks bro.

20190523_231156.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah no prob man. I have a couple silicone trays and use them for making sheets. They come out so clean and smooth and no folding and taping required.

I can't wait for my extruder to be done so I can poop out my own rods. Maybe I'll even make a multi orifice die that let's me poop out many useful shapes and sizes at the same time.

I'm working on tentacles at the moment. I have a good stock pile of sprues that I made a few months back.