What am I missing....

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Sawyer massey, Feb 27, 2023.

1. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

The last few pours I have done have lifted the boxes ....same castings as I have poured before
    My castings have always bin sandy as I cannot get sea coal .but I have only had one box lift on me before and that was because I didn't way it down.
    One all the iron was in the cope ....
    Two where full and then lifted ....skin coat of the mold was full .that's how I know .
    My pouring temperatures is by eye ....can you get cast iron to hot .
    Thanks
    Todd

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Did you use a slightly taller cope or have more gating? Same weighting on top? A taller cope will create more metal pressure so could float the cope where a shallower cope will not. More gating area can add to the lifting force. But, I think the most likely cause is the parting surface not being tight. If the flash is still molten that becomes extra surface area and floating force and once it moves a little, it moves a lot.

Best,
    Kelly

HT1 and Sawyer massey like this.
  3. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

That is possible....burned up some of my older boxes

4. Sawyer massey

Sawyer massey Silver

So the big gear is what I poured first...horn gate other side....might have washed up some sand
    The small gear was next it turned out like I thought .....lost some parts of the teeth removing it
    The cover plate was last is 3 in in diameter
    And 1/4 thick poured no problem and nice gray iron .....put 2 Lb in the to much iron pail
    By the burnt in sand on the first casting ...thinking to hot ....and to far a drop in the horn gate

Attached Files:

5. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

The iron would be more fluid and stay liquid longer but I dont think the heat would cause more lift on the cope. Something beside temp has changed since the successful parts were made. I agree with Kelly that it is most likely a change in head pressure created by more height...cope thicker..pouring from higher distance above mold...or a pressure change in gating...bigger sprue or smaller ingates or both.

Sawyer massey likes this.
  6. DavidBlaker

DavidBlaker Copper

You've made some great observations about the potential factors that could be affecting your results. It could be a combination of changes in temperature, mold thickness, pouring distance, or gating pressure.

Sawyer massey likes this.
  7. Ironsides

Ironsides Silver

Just use clamps, since I have been using clamps there has never been a mold lift on me. Weights can always be under estimated and leak but a clamp cannot let a mold rise and leak.

Sawyer massey and HT1 like this.