What wax are you using?

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Zapins, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I'm using premier backup pastel wax from remet. It is brown and pellets and a buck a pound for 55 pound bags. Cheap as chips.

Apparently it is reclaimed purified wax, but it is super brittle and shatters easily.

I'd like some of that nice red wax but it is 3 bucks a pound.

Anyone tried any other waxes closer to 1 buck a pound that is any good? Where'd you get it?

2. Jason

Jason Gold

2ab-150. Cost as much as my bronze.:eek:
    There are recipes on the net for making your own wax using walmart shopping bags. I once saw someone on YT using tea lights. Cant get much cheaper than that.

3. Rasper

Rasper Silver

I use 2ab-150 as well. It works.

It's kind of like buying wire-cutting pliers at Harbor Freight instead of spending the extra money for a pair of Klein or Utica pliers. The Harbor Freight pliers are a lot cheaper, but they usually don't cut worth a damn. And the first time you really bear down on them, they break.

Richard

Jason likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

Funny you mention Utica. I just bought 2 pairs of linesmans at a junk shop in pristine condition.
    10bucks a piece! They truly are the Cadillac of pliers.

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm. Just not convinced paying 150-200$ per bag of wax is a good deal. Seems super pricey to me was hoping for a poor man's way out other than what I'm already using.

I suppose I could buy 1 bag and blend it with the wax I have now for better handling wax?

6. Jason

Jason Gold

mix it up to get the properties you want.

7. Rasper

Rasper Silver

I tried using other waxes. The problem I found was that they shrink excessively. And that means they then expand excessively on burn out and crack my investment.

Richard

8. Jason

Jason Gold

If you want to test shrink, pour hot wax into a paper cup like I do when I make my pouring cups. All wax shrinks, even the 2ab150 I'm using. It just shrinks a little less than others.

9. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Too bad beeswax is so expensive. I quite like that stuff.

Well I'll probably stick with my cheapo wax for now.

I'm going to pick up another 100 lbs in December. I need more shell material too.

They quoted me 500 bucks for 55 gallons of slurry if memory serves. Or 5 gals for 150 bucks.

I can't use 55 gals before it goes bad but I can probably use 25 up I wouldn't mind going in halfsies with someone on the east coast. 27.5 gals for 300 anyone? I can drive it anywhere from tn to ct plus or minus a few hours.

I can even pick you up some sand and other materials if you want. Save you some shipping costs.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Before you pull the trigger on a 55gallon drum, you BETTER check what that sob weighs! It's like 400lbs! I was going to buy one and toss it on the airplane, then it hit me I'd never get it up the stairs!

11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah I bet haha. They can help me load it into my car and I'm sure I can use my kicking legs to push it out at home without too much issue. I just don't want to buy it and have it go bad after 3 to 5 years. I doubt I can use it all before then.

They claim 1 year and it goes bad, but in my experience the slurry seemed to work well for many years. Easily 5 years before the shells got a bit weak and I'm even half convinced I'm imagining the weak shells.

Maybe I'll post a separate thread and see who wants to go halfsies. I was going to buy 2 five gallon pails anyway (300 bucks) if I can get 25 gallons for the same price I'd be happy. And someone else would get a good quantity/deal as well.