Wheel center cap needed.

Discussion in 'Request casting service' started by northernlee, Dec 14, 2021.

1. I need this center cap as they are not available anywhere. It is for a 2004 Joe Gibbs Silverado. I thought about trying, but after researching I realized I didn't have the experience needed. It is 7 inches diameter and about 5/8 thick. The face has details that I think would be The difficult part.

Attached Files:

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Northlee.
    The cover was originally sand cast so the design on the front probably wouldnt be a big problem assuming you provided an existing cover. Shrinkage would likely be a huge hurdle though. Prolly around 1.5% which would be enough to throw off your hole spacing a reduce your overall diameters.

Pete

3. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I'm not 100% sure on that..... kinda looks like it, but might be a die casting? o_O

I see where several people have been searching for these online....

4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Sort of just thinking out loud here:
    So, one-off? If you are planning to use the one you have as a pattern, just Bondo the holes shut, Maybe build up the lugs in back. You will probably want to machine the cast face. as it will not look perfect as cast. getting someone like Kelly to CNC a general disc pattern not necesssarily in foam and then adding an epoxy or Repro cast of the logo to "glue" into the center might be the way to go. That way shrinkage could be accounted for except in the logo.

Another way to go might be to simply turn an aluminum disc with a center hole into which a turned logo-dome could be dropped and welded. Directly copy the logo as a pattern for the center portion---a 1.5% size change wont matter. The welder will have to do a good job leaving enough weld filler to machine cleanly and a little extra thickness to make this easier could be planned. But that should be possible. The holes likely don't have to located in individual collumns in back. I'll bet they could be located in a solid raised circular boss on the back.

Like I said, just musing.

Denis

DavidF likes this.
  5. DavidF

I like the way you think :cool:

6. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Scan it into a *.STL or *.OBJ file, 3D print with the appropriate size increase, cast in Petrobond then vapor blast/hone and polish as needed.
    All the above dependent on if you have a 3D scanner. There are 3d scanner apps for phone that might work in place of a laser scanner.
    3D printing can also be used to make a drill jig using off the shelf drill guide bushings.

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I had similar thoughts for a one-off. The shrink will be about.090" on the 7" diameter. I'd be inclined to fill the mounting holes with a dowel then use wax to fill the rest. Like MS suggested, use sheet wax to build the outside of the bosses and the OD of the disc. The rest wouldn't be noticeable. Then just loose mold it in some sand. But it's still a lot of effort and still needs secondary machining. If you're doing one for yourself it's one thing but for hire? -Doubtful.

Fair question to Northernlee, what is one worth?

Best,
    Kelly

8. DavidF

I can probably cad model it faster then having to deal with all the repairs on a 3d scan....

HT1 likes this.
  9. DavidF

Just cut it into the sand when the pattern is still in there and machine it off the casting...

10. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

This all kind of depends on if the customer wants one or is going to need tooling to resell a few and how much post cast processing can be tolerated.

SW can lay that logo on the surface pretty easily. The foundation sketch is probably in the <20 minute range with part in hand. That still leaves going from CAD to solid. Not everyone has good CAD/CAM but 3D printers are pretty easy to find/use.
    My scanner software makes nice watertight meshes and even some 3D printer software has the capability to repair poor scans. Everything is just so easy and accurate once you have a good electronic file to work with.
    I do find going from a*.STL to a parametric *.sldprt a real chore. Is there inexpensive software that does a better job of this than the SW import option?

But the real fun is in the casting. The rest is just ........ work.
    Looking forward to melting some aluminum again. Lousy time of year to try to get anything done.

11. DavidF

No kidding. I get up at noon, make one cup of coffee, get quick shower, hit the road and grab some fast food for the next 16 hours, into work at 3pm out of work at 7 am....
    It's so bad guys are literally passing out at work.
    So management posts this....
    SmartSelect_20211215-152900_Gallery.jpg

Pretty depressing working so much, but when I get depressed I just buy myself a new toy and I'm good for a week or two.... lol

12. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

That never seemed to work for me. Bought myself a nice brand new TIG back in the Halliburton days. It was 6 weeks before I had time to unbox it.
    Having the toys and no time to use them is even more depressing..........Got to the point I thought a 12 hour day was slackers.

13. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

Northernlee I have quoted several different customers on hubcaps for next year projects and I quoted them $250 a hubcap and another $250 for a chroming. I could fit making it in my schedule so if you are interested let me know.

Good luck,
    Patrick

14. I should have claified why I need this. I have a 2004 Joe Gibbs Silverado, local tire company did not tighten the retaining screw and it went into the woods in Wisconsin. I am planning on selling the truck this spring and I really want to sell a complete truck. I have 3 caps, one is shown.

I was not sure this could even be reproduced. I only need one, but if one figured out how to reproduce, there have been several looking for them, which could be income for you.
    My thoughts are I would ship this one which has been cleaned up, any guess estimates? Polishing etc I can do if that helps. As to how much it's worth to me, maybe $200, never been in this position to have a clue for your time and costs.

15. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

How many people would you say are looking for these, because it would be more cost effective for me to reproduce it if I was making more than one. As for estimates I will have to calculate one for you.
    Patrick

16. I can't say how many are looking right now, I can go to a forum and see if I get a response.

17. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It can be reproduced...........just time/money.

So a couple questions and suggestions.
    • If it's sitting on a flat surface approximately how deep/tall is it to the top of the dome engraved surface?
    • How does it mount in the wheel? It looks like 7 bolts. You lost seven bolts and threw the wheel center?
    • Does the part have or require secondary machining to the casting to fit properly? Cant tell from your photos, but if it does it's more time and cost.
    • If it needs to be polished and or plated, it's just more time and money so if you could do that it's probably the difference between being viable and not.
    As mentioned, any reproduction that uses the existing part as a pattern will be too small.

The single biggest thing you could do to increase interest is buy more than one. Like a set, and find others to participate.

To reproduce this, one needs to:
    1. Dimensionally reverse engineer the part
    2. Digitally create the logo on the complex surface
    3. Cut the pattern
    4. Then prep the mold
    5. Cast it
    6. Machine it (if needed) and this will require set up planning/programming etc
    7. Polish/finish/plate/paint.
    1-4 takes time. If more than one is purchased this cost can be spread over the parts.
    4 & 5 aren't that bad for someone who is set up to cast.
    6 it could potentially be cast net shape and used as cast.
    7 Just more time and cost. There are usually lot charges and minimums with platers.

Your best bet, buy 4+ and except an "as cast" part. Still not sure you'd hit your price target but at least it could move into the realm of possibility.

Best,
    Kelly

18. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Can your pin router be set up to enlarge/reduce like a basic pantograph duplicator?
    Seems like such a device would be handy for someone that routinely duplicates existing parts.

19. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Just a comment on using the original as a pattern and compensating for the 1.5% or so shrinkage that is likely to happen. I have used a material called Celastic to enlarge and repair parts so they could be used as patterns. Post 5 in this thread is a fairly extreme example of building up an area with Celastic.

Casting Windmill Parts from Original Cast Parts. Celastic for Adding Draft

I have used this material several times since. It is quite durable and relatively easy to use.
    It is about like working pine wood in terms of how it cuts and sands. No grain though and no tendency to split.

Once the original had served its purpose as a pattern, the celastic could be removed with acetone. I would think that only a rim wrap and perhaps building up the lugs would be needed.

Denis

20. From top of center dome, it's 3/4 inch thick.

There is a tongue lip for a slot in wheel and only one bolt to hold center cap on. The other 6 holes are just for looks with same type of bolt head.
    As to secondary machining, I don't think so, original is one piece.

I am willing to do any work needed after casting to make it work.

So far there has been no response on the Gibbs forum, traffic there has drastically slowed.
    I figure I could get 5 made, then I'd see if ebay post catches attention.