Who's my importer around here?

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Jason

Jason Gold

Mark, that thought did cross my mind, but I went through their website. Looks okay from what I can tell. Wemet is their name.

Yes Peedee, Wanna come help dig an enormous hole? Lift goes about 8 feet underground and goes up and down. Cars can be parked on both levels at once, just not lifted 2 at a time. Upper level does double duty for light service work with lower car removed.

Rocco, If there is a lift out there, I've seen it. I even considered cutting rafters and restructuring the roof trusses. I dont have gables and the garage is on the corner with 2hips and a valley. I just dont have the ceiling height. It's exactly 8feet. Unless I had a pair of gt500's, there is no way a conventional lift would work. The lifts in your photo would require 14feet of headspace at a minimum. Believe me, I wish I had a basement. If I get another 10-15 years here, I'm okay with that. I'll remove the lift, fill in the hole and move away. Next owner pays for it or doesnt get it. Simple.

Someone even suggested putting the machine shop on the lower lift and keeping the cars above ground. That was an interesting idea, they just didnt know how tall a bridgeport actually is. For now, I'm staying positive and let's see what the testing video shows. Until then, I'm not cutting the floor. I probably wont start that until it's actually sitting in the driveway.

lol, a Bug over an SUV. That's funny, that would require some serious height. I cant even stack an old jag and a stupid miata in 8feet. Therein lies the problem. What's really wild is how WIDE a miata actually is. I need 80" between pillars for lower deck use.

2. Jason

Jason Gold

3. Peedee

Peedee Silver

For flights and endless beer I might consider it...

I take it you have plans to access the jack motor when it goes pffftt. :)

4. Jason

Jason Gold

You bet! They leave an access hole and if it's not big enough, I'll whip out the angle grinder. The top deck will also have removable plates too. Trust NOTHING!
    I wanna go a step further! Being around airplanes, you will appreciate this idea! I'm thinking a selector valve on top of the lower deck and a hydraulic hand pump to raise this bitch when all else falls. Barring from a total actuator failure, I'll get it back up in the event of a breakdown. If there is a car on top of the hole, that could be an issue. I suppose lower a jack and some stands. Raise the car on the deck as there is space between the levels and bobs your uncle. Murphy's law says if it shits the bed, you can bet there will be a car over that access hole!

5. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Didn't want to think the worst but when you have my luck...

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Oh you're absolutely right. All possibilities must be considered.

7. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Keep the building inspector and nosy neighbors away. Don't know how it is in TX, and it was years ago, but when I wanted to put a simple pit in my garage floor you wouldn't believe the BS they threw at me.....leak containment, drainage, confined space, radon abatement.....they basically just weren't going to allow it in a residential building. It was new construction so I didn't have much choice. I would have just done it myself after the fact but I would have had to fill it to sell the property. I had a high ceiling so high-lifted the overhead door and bought a lift.

Best,
    Kelly

Jason likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup... People seem to have a hard on to tell you al about exploding fuel tanks, leaking toxic waste that kills unborn cats.... You name it.
    It may be a big hole in the ground, but it's certainly not a pit in the conventional way.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

OMG, these guys get shit done! That was F A S T!

Tobho Mott and Patrick-C like this.
  10. Jason

Jason Gold

Looks like someone missed my instructions. They were not to weld any of the 5mm diamond plate to the upper deck.
    I'm not too peeved , as long as they remember to ship the plates to cover these
    openings, I won't bitch too much. I'm guessing those 4 things sitting on it are the uprights.
    Hopefully they can get this thing on a boat quickly before someone sneezes at the port and they shut this bitch down again.:rolleyes:

Upper deck
    image.png

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Watching, I think you could work access plates into that but the frame seems it would be 'whippy' without the plate welded in. You are more than capable of modifying.

Have you dug the hole yet? I waiting to see the jag with hot wheels painted flames going up and down in the car port. ;) (50 but still a child at heart)

12. Jason

Jason Gold

Lol.... No hole yet, I'm going to wait until this thing is in the driveway before I get out the concrete saw. I had asked for photos of the structure, but they missed that.
    Hopefully I won't have to modify it too much, but I was planning on welding all the plate on it in the first place. :rolleyes: Time will tell.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Small update... Still waiting on confirmation the thing got on a boat. I'm pretty sure it didn't make it out before the chinese new year. Those people take a few weeks off to do god knows what.:rolleyes:
    Are they really party animals at heart in their little chairman MAO suits? o_O

The VFD came in this week. The motor on this thing is 7hp 3phase, so I picked up what is now my 4th VFD. What I wasn't expecting was the size of it! $189bucks off fleabay! Can't beat that with a stick! I need to find a cool key lockout switch with an up/down button I guess. How about a retinal eye scanner or a key pad?? I'm thinking installing the motor/pump and reservoir below the bottom deck might not be the best place for it. Will see how big it is as space is at a premium here. If something goes wrong, it will be with one of these and most likely not an actuator. Access will be key when it takes a shit. That could get interesting with a car over the access hole 6feet under ground.:eek:

In other news, I might have had an epiphany... I was speaking to Barry down in Baton Rouge and he built tunnels for a living. He asked why I wasn't considering gunite for construction. Well, DUH! Gunite is actually stronger than poured concrete! Who knew? The cost of shooting gunite is very similar to board formed concrete, but would be much faster and I won't have to destroy most of my floor. So thinking out loud, I can cut the floor, excavate the hole, drill the floor edges to tie in the rebar and blow mud. So I called a local pool builder and he spit balled 10yards for the walls and a couple for the floor. $300 a yard, that's concrete, pump AND FINISHING! In, out, hello and goodbye in less than 5hrs. He prefers cash and won't ask any questions. Now this is my kinda guy! He did ask what I was going to do with the 38 yards of removed dirt and concrete. I told him I was going to load my pockets up with dirt and dump them out as I walk around town. I really need a solution for this one. I can get rid of some it via the trash man, but could take a couple of years.:oops:

Anyways, that's the news fit for print.

No I don't have tiny thumbs, the thing really is that big! When you get to this size, you get proper wire terminals instead of those tiny screws to hang a #6 wire on.:rolleyes:

20220206_111706.jpg

20220206_111742.jpg

About friggen time they label these things! I'm tired of counting screws.
    20220206_111651.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Gold

Heading to the boat in Shanghai!

Sending.jpg

15. Jason

Jason Gold

I got this today and was told to verify it and declare.

WTF do I do with this?
    ISF???

Screenshot_20220222-231717_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

16. Jason

Jason Gold

Found this list of crap... Hey Matt, any of this familiar to you??

• Seller
    • Buyer
    • Importer of record number / FTZ applicant identification number
    • Consignee number(s)
    • Manufacturer (or supplier)
    • Ship to party *
    • Country of origin *
    • Commodity Harmonized Tariff Schedule

Two additional data elements must be submitted as early as possible, no later than 24 hours prior to the ship's arrival at a U.S. port. These data elements are:

• Container stuffing location; and
    • Consolidator

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Well, that was a real pain in the ass, but I think I did it! GO ME!
    It cost 10bucks for the ISF and 45bucks for the single ISF bond.

Anyone know if I have to purchase ANOTHER bond for customs??

18. Jason

Jason Gold

Here is a head scratcher.... Crossing the Pacific ocean too rough this time of year????

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 03-33-20 MarineTrarine Traffic.png

19. Mach

Mach Silver

I ordered a new generator in July '21. It was delivered Monday. It was supposedly stuck in the west coast backlog for that entire time. Any port in a storm when the 4 horsemen ride.

20. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

It's easier to smuggle your illicit cargo in over the Mexican Border. :rolleyes:

(Yes I know Panama isn't part of Mexico.....but it doesn't work as well in the Joke)

Jason likes this.