WWII fighter planes

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Peedee, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Guess who drilled all the new wing skins and THEN decided to align the skeleton/framework (No, not me thank god!) Anyone got any 2024-T3 in 32 thou going spare ....... ;)

Mark's castings likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

We do in San Antonio, but it's all small pieces. Here is some shots of a Metro a guy at Ameriflight fked up a few weeks ago. I'm still not sure how he did this. Said he just lost lift and went off the side of the runway. hmmm.. I seem to remember he was a 1900 guy, not being familiar with the operation of that aircraft, I have to wonder if he dorked up something. It happens when you swap airplanes. I routinely would swap between a C210 and a BE58 and the gear and flap handles were exactly backwards of each aircraft. Why stupid beech did that dumb shit was beyond me. So, ya had to be on your toes when you reached for the flaps or gear!:eek:

Anyways, here is the carnage. I think you guys will find this one interesting. This aircraft has a max gross of 16,000 in case you are wondering.
    I've been waiting for the investigators to do their thing before posting these. Note the holes in the fuselage where bits of the props went through it!:eek:
    20200916_134427.jpg

Attached Files:

3. That would have to be close to an insurance write off?.

4. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah it's done. They used a crane around the wing roots and finished the job.:rolleyes:

5. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Large hammer and a bit of cutting compound, that'll polish out ;)

Still don't know the full story with this Mk1 hurricane, apparantly he was on full rudder as he landed and burried the port side landing gear in the grass strip.

6. I use a fair bit of 2024 bar, that stuff corrodes easily!, I wonder if that's what Alclad's core is made from. As far as fixing that Metro goes, don't give people ideas!, I encounter a wide variety of people in my travels who'd be poster children for the Dunning Kruger effect: Example 1: a guy who told me he was building a Ford V8 powered gyrocopter out of construction ply:eek:...the V8 was going to be run off expanding liquid nitrogen o_O:eek:. I debated telling him that once the motor eventually cooled down it would stop working as the cold engine block woud stop boiling N2 off to gas. Then I imagined the guy actually getting airborne before losing power :rolleyes:.

7. Rotarysmp

Rotarysmp Silver

Metros are supposed to be a handful. The wing is a couple of feet longer than the Merlin, but they didn't invest in extending the Ailerons back to the tips. The Metro pilot I talked to refered to the ailerons as "painted on".

Jason likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

That is exactly correct! Just cables, you had to be king Kong to get it out of a steep turn. I've flown both and have grown to love the airplane. It's not for idiots ot shitty pilots. Watch this Mexican crew trying to start a garret. The dumbshits COOK this motor causing someone big bucks. My mechanic was sent this video by the crew scratching thing their balls why the rpm would hang. No cure for dumbass!

The proper procedure is props on the locks, power lever at flight idle and speed low. The guys have max power and speeds high. PRICELESS!
    The best part is shithead dancing on the start button which activates the start fuel enrichment! Let's see how much HOTTER we can get this thing!:eek::eek::rolleyes:

9. rocco

rocco Silver

At the airport where I work, I used to routinely hear them referred to as the "San Antonio death tube".

10. Jason

Jason Gold

San Antonio sewer pipe. Ed Swearingen was actually a brilliant man.

11. rocco

rocco Silver

Of course he was, a Dutch guy named Ed like me, how could he not be.:D

12. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Yep - 2024 Alclad, mostly T3 but the odd bit of T0 in places. Daren't scratch the stuff or it's start all over again.

13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

The driving seat...
    IMG_2384.JPG

and here's where we are up to...

IMG_2441.JPG

Shooting practice anyone..

IMG_2425.JPG

Interesting facts, it holds 100 imperial gallons of avgas and at full pelt can burn all of that in a little over an hour. Top speed in excess of 300mph and can pull up to 12G in manouvers

14. Jason

Jason Gold

Very cool... Who owns these aircraft? Is all this museum owned or just guys with more money than brains?

15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Ironically this one is mostly owned by a world renowned neuro surgeon!!! The two seat that is coming back to us for it's 25hr is another private venture of several investors and runs out of biggin hill. That should have been here last week but the grass strip is getting a bit soft for it so who knows.

The £150k (US$200K) merlin engine rebuild will be finished in a few weeks and we will have something to shove back in here...
    IMG_2405.JPG

16. Peedee

Peedee Silver

17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

18. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Anyone got any suggestions on reading material for riveting. We use A on this stuff not AB and a lot of sunken and countersink, the more I can learn the better (Just got a new short contract agreed)
    2 seat flying in today, will try to get video of the noise!

19. Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  20. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Thanks Mark, I'll look into that one. I'm guessing abe books might also be a good one to search.

The two seat Hurricane just flew into out hanger for it's checks and I'm in love! Partly with being deafened by the merlin engine but also with the lady pilot who jumped out! Don't tell the wife!