2019 edition?

Discussion in 'Halloween Casting contest' started by Kurtis Kiesel, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

Are we going to do it this year? If someone writes up the rules I will participate.

Guster and Tobho Mott like this.
  2. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

Anyone up to doing a christmas competion?

3. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

I need to fire up for the furnace for furnace's sake. I'm in

4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Pretty short notice imho...
    Let's do a head count and see who all would be in... unfortunately I doubt i have the time just yet...

5. Patrick-C

Patrick-C Silver

I'm in, sounds fun!
    Patrick-C

6. Jason

Jason Gold

I can't. I'm still up to my neck in broken airplane parts. Besides, I'd just make one of you clowns an XL BRONZE BP!

7. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

I am in. Is the prize bragging brights or bitcoins or flammable cash?

OMM likes this.
  8. OMM

OMM Silver

Man it’s going to be tight (in timing as I don’t even have lifting tongs yet). And it’s getting super cold up here. I’ll donate $2 just to have a vote on the winner being a bystander. If I can get my sh*t together i’ll even throw another $5 to have an entry. How are them apples?

A good discussion on rules might twist my arm!

But in all luck, this might be my first pour!

9. DavidF

3 entries doesnt make for much competition....
    :oops::oops:

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

What's the subject of the competition?

11. DavidF

Maybe an ornament to hang on the tree?? Waiting to see if there is more interest.....

12. Rocketman

Rocketman Silver Banner Member

Cast some snowflakes? visually interesting, thin enough to make it challenging
    Perhaps some required dimensions to make it interesting?

13. Jason

Jason Gold

..........And NO PLA BS!

14. DavidF

:rolleyes: sure...right.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. Jason

Jason Gold

I wanna see some skilled handi work. There is a certain je ne sais quoi about cad and pla stuff that loses out.
    Make stuff that doesn't look like at came from WALMART!

16. Kurtis Kiesel

Kurtis Kiesel Silver

I say Jason writes the rules, since he has the anti 3d printer slant. I think we should be allowed whatever tools we have, stealing 3d prints might be more what I am against. I rather see what you can design in Blender for 200hr and then turn into reality with your foundry.

I tend to stear towards the sacred, so Christmas is fine for me.

17. OMM

OMM Silver

I’m fine with a 3-D print. I have access but I would not use. Or care to use.

I also have access to 5 axis CNC finishing with a cutter inverted 15° from horizontal. I guess I could pour a blob ingot onto the dirt and then carve it into a 2 million point snowflake.

I guess I could just skip the blob and just throw a ingot into the CNC. Tools at your access? I have 10,000 students that are all tools that my access.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

NO CNC cut stuff! Foam, Wood or wax patterns only.

19. OMM

OMM Silver

What about labour outside your own? If you have access to it? Friends, family, students?

20. Jason

Jason Gold

lol... DENIED! It's only the 2nd week of november. You'd fire off a file to china and hire 5 guys for 9cents an hour and no bathroom breaks to create something EPIC. Dumped in a speedpak, you'll have it back in a month for less than 30bucks. As they say, if you ain't cheatin, you ain't trying!:p

Kurtis Kiesel and OMM like this.