Wanted: Small one-time odd job metal casting pendants

Discussion in 'Request casting service' started by Perish4, May 1, 2020.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

38 mm. Looks like good size...

2. OMM

OMM Silver

Yeah we're close enough.

To me it looks like it was originally Oxy-acetylene torched into a small brick shaped dish (maybe just silver solder fluxed) and while it was still hot a coin pattern was pushed into it. I could Tig weld on the hanger with just more silver solder.

Edit; the reason why I'm guessing this, is all the inner radiuses are swept and some of the other corners are sharp.

3. DavidF

I was thinking it was a low temp alloy poured in an open face mold... possibly even a wood mold that was carved out using solder...

Jason likes this.
  4. Jason

Jason Gold

The trick is going to be making it look f'd up. Easy if you get it into wax... ya just dig some areas out of it with a booger hooker!

5. Perish4

Perish4 Lead

Hi everyone, so turns out I did jump the gun on this and we are pushing it back a bit so they don't want me to start any ordering or anything yet. I'm really sorry, hopefully they figure out when we're gonna be doing this play and we can get back to work! Thanks for all the help and input, hope to see you soon.

6. OMM

OMM Silver

Sorry I got ahead of myself and leave out steps assuming . I Think it was the CNC'd on an end of a piece of copper. The copper was then used as an electrode in sink EDM on a hardened tool steel blank. The blank was the new coin punch if that makes sense.

7. DavidF

For a skill builder I'd like to try doing it in a brush.. Speaking of skill builders I've been working on a couple old military trailer tags.
    They have been the biggest pain in the ass to get right. The fonts dont match anything I have and the mold for one must have been off an old engraver. 3 different size fonts and the letters actually run uphill a bit... getting close on it.. just a few things to finalize...
    20200229_153014.jpg

OMM likes this.
  8. DavidF

Ummm..... I think it was far less sophisticated :D

OMM likes this.
  9. OMM

OMM Silver

That would be no problem with a high temperature torch. I used to make keychains (that I thought were really cool) dripping nonferrous alloys as beads/nuggets.

10. OMM

OMM Silver

As a kid (maybe 10 years old) I always wanted a two headed quarter. On a PD day my father drag me into his work. We silver soldered a penny on the end of a piece of mild steel. We used it as the electrode and sunk the head reversed into the quarter. It wasn't perfect but cool nonetheless. It took less than a minute for the burn. It took a lot longer soldering and filling and emptying the tank.

Sink EDM is almost a thing of the past. So are old Deckle machines. Deckle machines are pattern tracers.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  11. DavidF

I would have done that too if I had the equipment.. but instead I annealed a piece of brass, then smashed the quarter into it in a vise :p

12. OMM

OMM Silver

I like what you're doing with the tags. There is a niche market for them. I know one tag that I would pay over $100 for.... If I was missing it.

13. Jason

Jason Gold

Got an ol ferrari that's missing it's VIN tag???:p:p:p

14. DavidF

No, but I did 3d print a couple tail light bezels for one and cast in brass...

15. OMM

OMM Silver

Check out the detail of this tag. Made of solid brass 3/16 thick times 4"×4". This is the original tag from my big 30 inch disc and Bobbin sander.

I've kept it as original as possible including the voltage. Yes I'm giving this thing on 600 V three phase from my single phase 240v household voltage. I am the second owner. The first owner was a government penitentiary in their woodworking shop.

14AF4524-E0C3-436D-A8BA-0DBEA994AD39.jpeg

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  16. DavidF

Screenshot_20200512-005616_Gallery.jpg
    Yep, that's the pia stuff I've been fooling with lately...
    This one I'm still finishing up.. it was actually etched originally....
    View attachment 11746

17. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I was going to propose to my now wife in Leicester 26 years ago but got food poisoning and the two situations didn't really make for a romantic moment.

That's a big lump of a sander OMM! Wadkin made some pretty solid stuff, and still going

18. OMM

OMM Silver

WADKIN did. I'm glad I was part of two pieces before they went outrageously priced. They have demolition the original manufacture site in England just two years ago. A buddy of mine in England went and collected the flooring brick from the building. The brick was made of wood saturated in creosote. The old foundry has made a way for new homes.

Anything now is being re-badged. Almost anything produced in the past 40 years, is stamped.

Pattern making of really heavy castings are a thing of the past. My tablesaw weighs 1700 pounds.

Here is a pamphlet. Page 69 is the JTA sander. My tablesaw is around page 27-8.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2238/3911.pdf

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  19. Peedee

Peedee Silver

They are based in Nottingham now, I wont drag this thread into how Great British manufacturing was just that but..

If you want a giggle this is me getting caught up in a freebee for a brit telly show in Nottingham that cost my boss a couple of grand in materials and three days of my time while I was supposed to be closing big deals, (I'm the little balding git doing the lights)

20. Jason

Jason Gold

"uploader has not made this video available in your country"

Time to play games with the vpn... again.
    Best part of having a VPN is switching its location to another country. Funny how you get a whole new set of programming from netflix.

Last edited: May 12, 2020