free 3D flask Pattern

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by HT1, Oct 4, 2020.

1. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

ive descided I really need some metal Flasks. I have made metal flasks before amnd they are too heavy so I went deep diive into the internet for some design help, and I came across this guy,

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuA-gfv2vkCdYWejHY2vCy6zNX_icYAWp

His design is great, and he is giving the 3D files away,

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4033453

so I downloaded them, went to Shapeways , the first piece sized for 3.5 inch depth was $40, I need at least 6 Pieces Printed , I did not fumble around too much to see exactly what it takes , but that seemminimum, and I think it would actually be more to make 12 X12s

1) is this a reasonable price for the printing ?
    2) am I going to be happy with the results, I do Stuff from 3D designs occasionally , and often I have to fix warpage, it will be hell to fix this if it warps
    3) any of you interested in working on this
    4) anyone interested in perhaps working this as a Pattern swap, if 5 or 6 of us all used the same pieces, spreading the cost, that might make it far less painfull

Thanks in advance
    V/r HT1

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

What type of print, material,, and at what resolution??
    Sounds reasonable, but im thinking its a 300 micron print??

3. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Hmmm, the patterns in question seem so simple that I would wonder if just making them up out of Baltic birch plywood might be a very easy and inexpensive alternative. I think he did a nice job on the videos I scanned through. The aluminum flasks similar to what he made seem do like an attractive idea. It's got me thinking about making some flasks for use in my foundry. I would have to learn how to cast aluminium though.

Denis

dennis likes this.
  4. Mach

Mach Silver

Shapeways is overkill for this. Looks like it's PLA at 0.2mm layer height 20% infill. I don't expect it'd warp for what you are using it for. They pieces look fairly rigid. I'd be up for printing a set.

5. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Thats my thought too, though his work is really Clean, designed well and just sharp, alot of time will go into creating a pattern like that , he has done all the creation design,
    Honestly If he just put up the pattern for sale, at $250, I would buy it and be estatic, but to go through piece meal and have it printed, and maybe work well, maybe not, really gives me cold feet

V/r HT1

6. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

I'm with Melterskelter. I think I did these on AA, but can't access the thread. They are 9" X 12" x 3.5" which suited 75% of my castings. I made three flasks and they take most of my sand and generally all of my crucible since I'm making small parts.

IMG_20201004_162350.jpg

I use small followers at the ends so I don't have to cope down and cast the pair as you see them with a runner between them and two gates for each. I riveted them rather than bolting and squared them up with a face cut on the mill and belt sander.

IMG_20201004_163310.jpg

7. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Nicely done. The logo is a nice touch!

Denis

8. ESC

ESC Silver Banner Member

Thanks Denis, I just looked at that and I must have made two long side patterns since there is no logo on this side of the drag. That would have given me the advantage of making the short sides in a smaller flask and save on sand for the session.

9. 509Maker

509Maker Copper

I am working on making a set of Julian's V6.8 flask patterns as well. I would be happy to send you a printed flask pattern set, for what ever you consider a fair price for the parts + shipping via paypal. just send me a msg. I have printed four end pieces, two followers , one of each center section and four 40mm sections that can be rearranged to make a flask side as small as 160mm or as large as 320mm ( shown in photo as a 240mm side ). Printed in Prusament Silver PLA at 20% honeycomb infill, 0.2 layers, 4 solid bottom layers and 5 top. Here is a photo. Could use a little clean up if print lines showing is a concern prints are very flat and the modules interconnect smoothly.

Flask_Pattern.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    HT1 likes this.
  10. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Ive sent you a message
    Thanks in advance

V/r HT1

11. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Those look nice. Is there any pattern or sand retention features to the backside? Might be tempted to print it in fewer pieces depending upon your needs. One side note, might want to make sure you seal the PLA before molding. Petrobond for example may attack the PLA.

Best,
    Kelly

509Maker and HT1 like this.
  12. rocco

rocco Silver

Yes, there pattern has sand retention grooves. It's too bad that AA is such a mess there is a fairly lot thread over there about the development of this flask pattern design.

13. rocco

rocco Silver

14. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

Thank you good advice that I would have missed .

I did a really deep dive looking at designs, and this was very very good , probably the best I saw for weight to Strength, and weight is getting to be an issue for me in my "middle age"

V/r HT1

15. rocco

rocco Silver

For those of you haven't watched the video series linked to in the first post of this thread, it's worth watching if you have few hours to kill. You can see the design go through several iterations to understand how the design ended up being what it is and the presenter, Julian, has made the videos fairly entertaining.

16. 509Maker

509Maker Copper

The patterns do have some retention grooves on the back side. Julian did a good job with the design. Here is another photo showing the the rear of the pattern assembled as a 12.6in x 3.125in ( internal ) flask side.

Flask_Pattern-2.jpg

17. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I've always thought he needed a shallower set for the drag. No use wasting sand/adding weight for just a runner.

18. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

I had these files downloaded for months just not gotten around to try to print them yet. I've not had any issues with Petrobond and PLA...but I will say most of my patterns have at least a quick coat of rattle can and a couple coats of wax on them before they see sand.
    509 has offered up a set to you I don't want to get in the way. But if things fall through, I'll happily print you up a set or two. (this would be open to anyone here).

19. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

most professional flask are actually that way,

http://www.hinesflask.com/

V/r HT1
    Once I get a set of flasks out to use as a Pattern, I will be Happy to Pass the pieces along, really no good reason to Have more then a few sets of these floating around the community...

V/r HT1

20. dtsh

dtsh Silver

I printed an earlier revision and my only complaint is that the fingers did not fit well and I had to do a lot more post processing than I normally do.. Could be my printer needs some tweaking, but I print interference fits fairly often without issue so who knows.

It's been a very, very busy summer for me, but no casting since spring. If I can get caught up with other projects, it would be nice to get back to these before the ice and snow arrives to smother everything.