lost wax filament ?????

Discussion in '3D Printing' started by master53yoda, Dec 30, 2017.

1. master53yoda

master53yoda Silver

My son just bought a 3d printer and i was thinking about printing some lost wax patterns, have any of you found a functional filament for use in a 3d printer?

Art b

2. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Art, DavidF will probably weigh in. He has used some and prints regularly. Think he might prefer PLA but let's see what he says.

Best,
    K

3. OCD

OCD Silver

Hate to be "that" guy but do you think you could correct the thread title for Art?

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Done

5. Mach

Mach Silver

4 different types that I'm experimenting with PLA, MoldLay, machinable wax filament, and Polycast. Depending on which brand, PLA burns out reasonably clean but is a pain to sand. Hatchbox seems to work ok for me and is cheap. Moldlay melts at a lower temperature and prints well but is pricey. Finish-wise, it sands better than PLA but still not great. Machinable wax is difficult to extrude and I haven't had much luck with it. David seem to have done better with it. Polycast prints like PLA, smooths with IPA, and is designed for casting. I just got a roll of it last week. Let me know if you'd like to try some. I've been using Polysmooth which is similar but haven't tried burning it out yet.

Below is Polysmooth, injection wax, and PLA.

[​IMG]

6. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Im tired of experimenting... Just sticking with pla. If you want to smooth pla just rub it with some styrene on a paper towel or q tips....
    bottom line is they all burn out clean but regular pla will have issues with mold cracking/ blind holes where it is better with mold lay and best with wax but print ability gets worse as you go down the line... chose your poison. Im still waiting on the right material, tired of comprise...

7. Jason

Jason Gold

I thought this wax filament was going to be the holy grail... What happened?

8. DavidF

Its difficult to print with, after all you are trying to print with melted wax... Ive just been sticking with pla

9. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Mach, the Polysmooth looks interesting from the burnout perspective, the colour of the print doesn't seem to exhibit the same detail. Is it as detailed/accurate as the others?

10. Mach

Mach Silver

It does but the filament is slightly translucent so the detail doesn't show - more so when its smoothed.

11. master53yoda

master53yoda Silver

I just wanted to say thanks for the feedback on this. My son has 3 different kinds that came with the printer I'll see what he has and go from there. Thanks again for the feedback

Art b

DavidF likes this.
  12. Zapins

Zapins Gold

I also got a 3d printer for Xmas. I will be following this thread and posting new ones for help.

Too bad the wax filament didn't work out well (although the wax middle one looks like it printed just fine?).

13. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Watch sanding PLA. It likes to splinter and can end up embedded under your skin. Some people react to it sorta like fiberglass. Mild skin irritation, redness, and or itching. There is some way to vapor smooth PLA but the chemicals are kinda nasty. Might be further ahead to add a little coat of wax and smooth it that way for burnout.

14. DavidF

I dont think that is printed, he said its injection wax....

Tobho Mott likes this.
  15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Oh, didn't realize there was a difference. Little confused. Will reread the above posts and see if I can figure out whats what.

16. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I just got one too and will be watching. They gave me a kilo of PLA with it. I'm starting to wrangle the software but it seems that I can't squeeze one more day out of my Windows XP. You know your getting old when you give someone your email address and they giggle (aol).
    I just got a new snowblower. A 1978 Snapper 8horse. (Tecumseh. I know, I know). A new carbureter, a new belt, good as new. I guess computers don't work like that.

Pete

17. Jason

Jason Gold

XP is a great platform. We run old school idiot machines UNPLUGGED from the net for cnc stuff like this with XP. When you trim the fat off xp, you can make it really fly and nice and stable. I've seen some machines not restarted in almost 2 years! You want old school... I still have a IBM laptop that's running win95! What suxs, it doesnt have a cd drive and no USB so it's pretty much a working paper weight. Cant bring myself to destroy it.

18. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Yeah that's the issue. It's a platform that's worked great and worked great for years. Some of my computer based equipment at work won't run on anything but XP so it won't be abandoned, that's for certain. Several are unplugged from the network and run offline so we don't get blindsided by the possibility web-induced issues or glitches in our own network.
    Unfortunately there are some areas where you have to stay current if you want or need to use updated technology and software offerings, so here we are.

Pete

19. Negativ3

Negativ3 Silver

Agree, XP is nice and stable been running a CNC for a few years without any OS issues at all.

20. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I have a ZX81 (no really, I do still have it!) What printers are you guys using? I haven't money to splurge just yet but there seems to be some really cheap deals coming up.