weird Petrobond sand recipe

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by HT1, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Looks similar to the one with the suspicipus picture that I linked, but that was $17/500g and this one is $50. My question hasn't showed up on their website yet.

If it's the right stuff, 500g of bentone is only enough to mix with a little over 18# of silica though, going by the recipe on Ray's site. What are people paying online for petrobond?

Jeff

2. Mach

Mach Silver

I paid 145 for 105 lbs shipped from petrobondforsale.com.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  3. Mach

Mach Silver

I've got a line on Bore-Gel but I think its just bentonite with xanthum based on the patent. The distributor is checking with Baroid. Its $12.99 for a 50lb bag. Its bentonite, sodium salt and xanthum. Likely the wrong stuff, I'll talk to Baroid tech sales.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5723416A/en

4. Mach

Mach Silver

We may have a winner. The distributor is checking to see if it the same as VG-69. Only downside is the warehouse is in Monahans, TX (west texas) but they may be able to get it in Houston. This is the company that Denis mentioned earlier.
    [​IMG]

https://theofmp.com/ofmp/en/USD/Drilling/Fluids/p/M0001629-1-3?vendor=miswaco& brand=federal

Its a Schlumberger sourced product repackaged through Federal. No idea yet what makes it advanced vs VG-69.
    https://www.slb.com/drilling/drilli...scosifiers/vg-plus-advanced-organophilic-clay

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Rock likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason Gold

Monahans is less than half the distance to houston. Who has it?

6. Jason

Jason Gold

My guy from rmi is calling about vg plus. He thinks it's the same shit.

7. Jason

Jason Gold

This guy reached out to federal. If anyone out there can buy it for us, its him!

8. Mach

Mach Silver

9. Jason

Jason Gold

that works for me. I dont mind humping it.

10. Mach

Mach Silver

I've got a call in to get a bag or two here and we can do the same in Monahans. Who wants to test this stuff?

11. Mach

Mach Silver

OFMP checked. Nothing in Houston or Monahans but they've got it in Shreveport. Anyone closer than Houston/Dallas?

On a different note, the K-Bond recipe says 100 mesh or finer. Would 325 have venting problems? I've got 50 lbs of 325 from a ceramics store.

12. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

I would be interested in mixing up a test batch if someone could send, say, ten pounds or so in a Flat Rate to me.

Denis

13. Jason

Jason Gold

I'm hearing 56bucks a bag.o_O Mark at rmi is sending a link to me where it can be bought. Seems too cheap to me.

14. Mach

Mach Silver

Rock likes this.
  15. Melterskelter

That price is about right, I think.

Thank you! I’ll reimburse you for the clay and shipping. If anyone wants to ship more in the future, look at UPS Simple rate where up to 1 cu foot can be shipped at a good price.

Denis

16. dennis

dennis Silver

That stuff sounds like ersatz Delft Clay - which, based on vids I've seen, needs scratch vents. Also, it uses a higher percentage of binder. I think I might want twice as much of the other things per weight of "sand".

It also gives lost-wax detail, supposedly.

Thought might be to use 200 mesh along with the 325? I recall one individual mixing his Delft Clay with Petrobond to help with permeability issues. Seems he had less trouble that way with little loss of detail.

17. Mach

Mach Silver

I think I get it after watching a couple of videos. It'd be way too impermeable if mixed with binder, even with coarser sand mixed in.

18. Melterskelter

Using plain petrobond and a quick and dirty 5 minute trial:

E76B9CAA-78DC-4B72-B9DF-D0815BEA58AB.jpeg DB7C9533-400C-4C4F-A77A-207F11D968DB.jpeg

Not saying I have mastered by any means. But it does suggest this is doable with ordinary materials.

Denis

Tobho Mott and Petee716 like this.
  19. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Yeah, this definitely has my attention.

20. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

do you Know what GFN that sand is? it looks awful course for Petrobond.
    is it perhaps made with Olivine sand rather the Silica? Ive seen that

Thanks in advance
    HT1