Duck house....

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Sep 9, 2021.

1. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Look up pigeon racing. They fit them with transponders to record when they get back to the coupe. I'm pretty sure they have a program on a computer that at least closes a door behind them once they enter the coupe.

2. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

Weight sensors on the roosts. When the total weight sensed is equal or greater than 2 ducks and it's after X Close door.

3. 3Dcasting

3Dcasting Copper

With this board, if I understood how it works correctly, you basically need to replace the rocker switch and implement two rocker switches. When the door is closed the wiring will be set to get the door opened once the timer energizes the circuit. Once the door opens the terminal switch must power off the opening command and set the wiring for the closing circuit. Closing can be made with a push button switch (as long as it is pressed it will close the door). Once the door is closed the opening command will be de-energized until the timer opens the door again.
    Would maybe need some terminal switches and some relays. I could come up with a drawing if you are interested.

4. Zapins

Zapins Gold

5. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

That's just a two pole switch with a light in it. Anything over 12Vdc will make the light get really bright.... At least for a split second then nevermore.

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Its a 12 v circuit so it should probably be fine. I ordered a pack of 5 to see if it will work. Arrives in 2 days. Will see if I can wire things up then.

7. 3Dcasting

3Dcasting Copper

Here's the simplest diagram I made with the switches you already have. The two left wires are the red ones and the two right wires are the black ones. These are the wires that go to the existing switch that reverses the polarity of the motor. The only addition is a terminal switch that is Normally Closed (NC) -probably like the ones you use now- that is added on the opening circuit on the Normally Closed (NC) contact.

1637183704992.jpg

With the addition of another terminal switch (like the one for the open door) on the closed door position it will cut power when the door is fully closed, de-energizing the motor. The existing switch can then be set to the opening door position to be ready for the next cycle.
    Hope that helps a bit.

8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm so I have the relays here but the numbers are different. Any idea how to wire this relay up?

20211119_204431.jpg 20211119_204415.jpg
    20211119_204723.jpg

9. Just rely on the switch diagrams drawn on the relay and you can see that: 13 & 14 are the coil power terminals to activate the relay, 9-1 and 12-4 are "Normally closed" contacts and 9-5 & 12-8 are "Normally open" contacts.

so for the diagram I posted:

My diagram relays:................... Your relays:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Do the position is the same? The thing I'm confused about is the numbers don't match up with the relay diagram.

11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Gotcha! Will give it a try and report.

I'm on night shift working at the hospital so I'll do it between patients :)

12. There's no real standardization to relay markings so you have to focus on the switch symbols themselves as to which are normally open contacts and which are normally closed.

Edit: i see yours have a small green LED inside to light up when they are in operation.

Edit2: it's possible to gently pry off the clear cover and see the physical construction of the relay and even operate it manually to see how the contacts physically move to make and break connections. There should be two plastic barbs and holes on the base that retain the cover that a knife blade can slip under and release the cover.

The relay in this video has the same connection locations (pinouts) to your relays.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  13. Zapins

Zapins Gold

So I wired it up and it seems to work somewhat. Its acting a bit wonky I need to experiment a bit and see how it works. I think the rocker switches I have have a forward and reverse built in so its making the function weird.

I also need a place to wire in a timer so it opens with a timer switch. Then is closed with a button switch. Any idea where to put that?

14. Got any schematic drawings or photos of the wiring so far?. It'll be hard to visualize.

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Gotta get some decent shots of the house in place but its done moved and put onto a foundation.
    20211212_125740.jpg IMG_8239.jpg PHOTO-202.jpg IMG_7126.jpg IMG_7129.jpg IMG_9058.jpg 20220211_192152.jpg

Mark's castings likes this.
  16. I hear the eggs make great sponge cakes.

17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

After playing with the door circuit I think I have it figured out. But I need help figuring out parts I need to order

I will need a momentary switch (only opens while being pressed) this will allow me to push a button and the door closes in the evenings. I have ordered this part.

The part I'm unsure about is to open the door I will need to have a timer trigger some kind of electronic switch that allows power to flow through the other side of the circuit. What electronic switch do I need? Also do I need some sort of adapter to have a 120v timer trigger the electronic switch for my 12v system?

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
  19. I watched your video and I think the problem is the rocker switch input staying in an "on" state after the limit switch closes. If you had a pushbutton that triggered a timer circuit to replace the rocker switch where the timer stays on long enough for the gate to close and then resets, that would go a long way towards getting it to work.

So the momentary pushbutton would activate this timer circuit and the timer's relay normally open contacts would replace your door close rocker switch:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/272853144337?hash=item3f87509311:g:iKUAAOSwZ8ZW~Sg1

The alternative to a timer is a latching relay circuit that replaces the door close switch and gets reset by the door closed limit switch.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022