Need a Conveyor

Discussion in 'Other metal working projects' started by Jason, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Use it to water the garden or fill your pool. Kick ass! You have an easy bore hole setup. Free water in cali.

Jason likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

The pump has been off for a couple of days now and the level is at 96" :rolleyes: Which means at it's present location, my slab would be underwater. I had a long conversation yesterday with the engineer and he wants me to drive an I beam of mine down into the soil and conduct a weight test. His concern is more on this entire thing SINKING in the wet clay as opposed to floating up out of the hole. We are kicking around the idea of as many columns (pins) as necessary to keep it from sinking and at the same time, weld more steal spanning the pins. All of this would be buried in the concrete. Friction on the pins will also help anchor this boat to the ground. After I lowered the pump the other day, I had one hell of a time with an old school post hole digger to break up the rocky crap. That shit is so hard, it's unbelievable. I can just about guarantee it's that layer I've found that is responsible for the location of the friggen water. Up until then, it's been smooth digging.

Large upside down concrete columns would provide more area for friction, but the idea of digging another 6feet to install a couple of 3ft wide concrete columns does not sound like a good time while holding back water while doing it. F that nonsense! I'd rather jack hammer i beams into the ground. ( I think!:eek:)

My neighbor took a water sample and it's ph was 7.4 and the alkalinity was over 4 I think. Couldn't find the drops for the chlorine test, that's the one I wanna know about! Our town likes to piss away our money on dog parks and ADA compliant sidewalks while they ignore boring stuff like roads and our water/sewer system. I wouldn't be surprised if I found chlorine in that water due to a leaky city water main. I can hear the conversation now... "And HOW did you find city water flowing at 9feet sir??"o_O

MATH
    Concrete 10,700
    Steel 1,000
    Lift 7,000
    2 cars 6,000
    Total: ~ 25,000lbs

Zapins likes this.
  3. rocco

rocco Silver

That's a good bet. A quite number of years ago, I dug a deep hole in my dad's backyard, it was dense clay and about 6 feet down was a thin layer of pebbles and small rocks, smooth and rounded, of the sort you might find on a beach, and there was a constant trickle of water coming out of that layer. For over twenty years, my dad used the water from that hole to irrigate his extensive gardens.

I'm a little surprised that a nosy neighbour hasn't already ratted you out to the city and that the city hasn't sent out a building inspector to tell you that you require a building permit, after all, the money for those dog parks and sidewalks has got come from somewhere.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Jason and Zapins like this.
  4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

You should

1. Fire your engineer
    2. Keep digging
    3. Do a fluoride test instead of a cl2 test, cl2 will rapidly dissipate where fluoride will not...

FishbonzWV likes this.
  5. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

25K spread over how many square inches? That'll give you the PSI exerted on the ground.
    If the soil is as hard as you say, I'd pour a 5" slab and say to hell with it.

Jason likes this.
  6. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

If the hole is something like 16'x8', it's only 1.5 psi which is almost nothing. Your shoeprint is probably 40x that, but, if the lift is only supported in the four corners, the slab better have plenty of rebar and if you were ever going to sink or drive any pylons like your buddy wanted, I do that under those load bearing locations, but probably just a slightly thicker reinforced slab would do.

Best,
    Kelly

Jason likes this.
  7. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Yeah not sure that so many pylons are needed. I mean its like 4" water its sitting in. Its not being built underwater. But then again I'm not an engineer. Just seems unlikely to sink with such a wide area supporting it and walls for friction.

Sounds like a cover your ass scenario.

Jason likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Gold

I didn't think of a fluoride test. I'll see if amazon sells some kinda kit to check for it's presence.

I see the math now. 1.35lbs per square inch. That isn't jack shit.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

That's awesome man! Thanks for the laughs I needed that! I try to be a great neighbor, most of them know I'll lend a hand when needed anytime!
    It's that or they are afraid of the crazy guy doing weird shit at 3am.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

STALLED! Hey, If any of you have any experience with a family member or close friend suffering from a severe case of contamination OCD, I sure could use some help! It seems with every asshole screaming wash your hands for the last 2 years, my wife has developed a love hate relationship with the beautiful new bronze sink. Seems she has the need to visit it about 30times a day and often gets trapped at it for up to 15mins. Yeah, I'm not kidding! We are on our 3rd shrink and this one hasn't been much help yet, so now I've had to dig deep in the ways of ERP.

Anyhow, back to my hole! I dropped a second location just 4 feet away. The water level on both holes stays right at 95" now. We had a bunch of rain, but my measurements might have been off too. I pumped a ton on the first hole and was hoping to see the 2nd hole drop. Nope! Not a chance. So with my new job as full time shrink, I've been trying to figure out wtf I'm going to do once I'm standing in 2feet of water. Tonight I think I found it! I came across an old video of the chinese using HDPE waterproof membrane. But something jumped out at me. I was under the impression this was basically peel and stick stuff, but it's not. Ya see, they join these pieces together either by heat or peel and stick, they finish the metal work over the top of it and then pour the concrete on it. What jumped out at me was when these guys drilled a core sample around the 4:40mark in this video. WTF is going on there????? Could this be my answer? I know I can slope the dig, bury a pump, fill the area with rock and control the water while I build. That part I got. But when I'm done, I wanna quit pumping and let the water come back up around my hole and not get in it. I'm hoping one of you has some experience with it.

Here is the latest photos, it's really hard to be 8ft down a hole and hear the nightmare going on inside my house as my wife loses her shit. She's taking that ashwaghanda root and it seems to be lowering the anxiety as we are really trying to avoid SSRI's. (yes, I had seratonin levels checked and they were normal) Sorry to vent gang, but, I'm at a loss on this one. I fix stuff, not people.

20230228_231604.jpg

Note the scrap piece of I-beam in the hole. My enginerd wanted me to drive that thing into the water about a foot or so and stick a plate on it and load that sucker up with as much weight as I could to test the bearing capacity. Turns out, I beat that bitch for an hour and only sunk it maybe 8inches in! It came out with a hard push of a foot so I'm calling it good. Last thing I need is this thing sinking into the abyss. The soil at these depths has lots of rock, nothing huge, but very compacted and hard as a mother!

20230222_184139.jpg

Anyone here need 4950 meters of this shit? https://oriental-yuhong.en.made-in-...bCEecO/China-HDPE-Waterproofing-Membrane.html I sent them an email, let's see if they respond. I need 50 meters.

And do check out this video, new one on me!

Hell, even the flip flop gang has jumped on this bandwagon!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  11. Jason

Jason Gold

Hot Damn! Think I found it's American equivalent! We probably invented this and THEY stole it from us. I would not be surprised one iota!

12. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Jason,

It sounds like you are, to put it mildly, dealing with a very difficult situation concerning your wife’s OCD.

I often suggest to folks dealing with complex medical issues that they subscribe for one week (20$) or one month to UpToDate. It is the most complete and current resource intended primarily for physicians and other medical providers. Medical professionals consider it to be authoritative.

I think if you read UTD that you will not find serum serotonin level measurement to be suggested as a means of determining potential benefit of SSRI treatment or diagnosis in OCD. Similarly visiting Mayo Clinic's or Cleveland Clinics websites will discuss OCD current diagnostic and treatment approaches.

You may or may not agree with standard medical approaches to OCD diagnosis and treatment. But if you want a good resource to learn what is known and accepted as current state of the art, UTD is a good place to look.

Denis

Mark's castings likes this.
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

Thanks for the suggestions Denis. After going through breast cancer in 2012, despite having a fully recovered immune system when covid got dumped on us, she still felt the need to be over cautious. Truth is, I spotted ocd tendencies 20+ years ago. She's been "checking" since I met her. The air force docs put her on an ssri back in Germany and it didn't go well. She is the type that gets hammered off half a glass of egg nog. I went to a session once with her at the first doc and 10mins in, the therapist asked ME if I would feel better if she had an OCD diagnosis!? I said look birkenstock, it doesn't take a diploma on the wall to see her hands are flaming red, dry as a bone, shiny as a new car and bleeding! Do you think since walking out she has bothered to call once about her patient? The second "doc" wasn't any better and I stayed away from that one. The latest one so far shows some empathy, but wants to get her "pieces" agreeing with each other again whatever the f that means. This one won't even meet face to face! So imagine a couple hundred bucks an hr for a phone call, add in a long running case of narcolepsy and we are paying someone to lull her asleep. Judging from societies current condition where I'm the bad guy for not celebrating the man 2 doors down from me that prances around in his front yard in a woman's sports bra and workout shorts with his 4yr old daughter, I'd say our mental healthcare professionals would be better off blood letting.

I have done a ton of research and erp it is the best we have at the moment. I've even had a few breakthroughs with her doing some pretty severe exposures. Trouble is, getting her willing to keep herself in the exposures to do them on her own. When the door is open and I can assist, I'm able to drive her like a car! It's a wild experience to conduct and takes a gentle, patient and somewhat firm person to do it, but I've seen it has worked wonders for her and she knows it's the answer. I've learned my local experts aren't heartless bastards like myself willing to apply the principles. When she tells them erp works and Do IT, they run. Our town is horrible for dealing with a problem like this.

See why my new hat is an ist?
    Drugs would be easy street and is the typical method WITH erp, but they wanna stop at drugs and do talk therapy. What a joke! I'll find a video and post it here so you can see what it looks like in a session. Mine usually takes place on the kitchen floor in a puddle of tears.

This really shows how the brain confuses anxiety and fear. Anxiety is there might be a bear in my trash can so I won't go outside and Fear is looking at a bear in your trash can so I better run. There is actually a big difference in those emotions most don't realize in a normally functioning brain. As much as I hate and bitch about shitty youtube, it's been a life saver for us at the moment.

Pay attention to her wanting like hell to avoid that can, but as the anxiety comes down on it's own, he throttles her back up the hill. Looks horrible I agree, but each time she goes up the ladder, it's less of a climb and the return back down occurs quicker. That is the precise time habituation takes place and the experience becomes a success. It's really remarkable and IT WORKS!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  14. Jason

Jason Gold

Spoke to the company about preprufe. The roll is 400sq ft and sells for $2180 A ROLL! Yeah, when pigs fly out my ass! The guy told me they are doing a hole in oklahoma thats 45ft deep and the floor sits 10feet under the water table. He said the company is spending a couple million just on preprufe. :eek: I offered some free advertising on my piss ass YT channel, he didn't take the bait. lol

Has anyone seen anything like this adhesive membrane stuff before???

15. What if you bought plain old PVC sheet thick enough to use plastic welding techniques on, fabricate a liner and cast the concrete in it. You could even cast the floor first and then the small vertical walls separately so long as you use epoxy to join the wet cement to the dry cement like they do on big projects that can't be done in one pour, like the slab of a bulk sugar storage terminal. The dry cement gets a thick coat of 24 hour epoxy before the next pour of cement which cures before the epoxy does giving a structural join.

16. Jason

Jason Gold

I'd be totally on board with that idea Mark! I wonder what PVC sheets costs these days?

I see sucktube decided to install a banner. I then tried to pin a new comment in my comment section and youtube dumped it down the memory hole. F theses a-holes.

17. It's $66 Australian for 1/16" thick in 8' by 4' and double that for 1/8" thick. Over here our reserve bank governor is raising interest rates: he says it's important to slow out of control wage rises, then the figures actually come out: wages: 3.5% increase, inflation 8.5%. Then the Australia Institute think tank runs the numbers and says all of the inflation is due to large corporations taking excessive profits.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  18. Jason

Jason Gold

Even at 1/8", I'm not sure that's thick enough when my clay starts to swell and shrink from wet/dry cycles... I think that's why the shit that bonds itself to the back of the concrete seams ideal because I know separation will take place behind the concrete. Water is very patient, but eventually it will find a way. PVC is extremely strong, I just don't know how it will take constant changes at these weights. By the time I put 15000lbs of concrete, then add lift and cars constantly moving, it could become an issue.

There will be another housing and car market "adjustment" that will have to take place. 8.5% inflation is horseshit, it's at least TRIPLE that according to my wallet. It has NOTHING to do with corporate profits. If we look back at history, when the USA is wealthy, so is the rest of the world. Financial downturns felt here always rock the entire world. This didn't just happen, all of it has been carefully crafted. To what end and why, I just don't know. All of us little people are too busy being distracted by the daily social engineering garbage to realize we are being robbed blind!

Remember, by 2030, you'll own nothing and be happy! If you are reading this and confused, read this. https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/21252030 Agenda for Sustainable Development web.pdf F the UN!

19. When I built my workshop, I used thin PVC (Visqueen) under the concrete slab....hang on that stuff is actually LDPE and has stretch and is reasonably moisture resistant, 200 micron or 1/5 of a millimetre thick. I just did the joins with a quality duct tape.

membrane.jpg

slab pour.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  20. Jason

Jason Gold

Thats some high quality work for on grade slab, but would you have trusted that method if your slab was going to be permanently a foot under water? I've seen them run the melting tool on seams as tape won't last submerged.