Is there such a thing as melting too fast?

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Harddinero, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Harddinero

Harddinero Lead

So I made a home made furnace, but bought a 100000 btu devil forge burner. Using .08 on the propane gauge copper started melting in 3-4 minutes, the crucible didn't seem to be damaged, but I have a feeling too hot, too fast could be bad.

2. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

we need to see some pictures of your rig, and know a little more about it , the furnace itsself , not just the burner
    your crucible will not be damaged unless the flame inpinges directly upon it, or it is too big for your furnace , or you charge it imprperly, or store it badly,
    though if your furnace is really that kick a$$ I would recommend warming the Crucible for 5 minutes before you floor it

V/r HT1

Petee716 likes this.
  3. Harddinero

Harddinero Lead

Will post some pics tomorrow, hoping to make a new hinge setup and some castings. The flame isnt directly on the crucible, but it is pretty much right next to it.

4. master53yoda

master53yoda Silver

I direct fire, but i melt 150 to 200 lbs aluminum in 30 minutes without problems, that is burning 5 to 6 gallons per hour roughly 800,000 BTUh plus 150,000 propane for the first 10 minutes until the furnace reaches 600 F. I am looking at putting a propane fired after burner on the exhaust to cleanup the smoke from cold oily scrap when the furnace is below the 600 f. The after burner would give me a smokeless process beginning to end.
    Art b