Bells 2,3,4

Discussion in 'Metal casting projects' started by vincent, Mar 8, 2021.

1. vincent

vincent Silver

Got a few more done, they are not as good as the first but hope I will learn from my mistakes!
    I got crazing on the outer moulds, I think I laid too much fire clay, too thick on the wax that goes just before the loam

bells234.jpg

2. dennis

dennis Silver

Tries to recall what metal was used... was this a high-tin tin-bronze? 15+ percent tin?

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Awesome work Vincent!

4. vincent

vincent Silver

Dennis, yes I use bell metal that I blend myself, give or take 1% I use 80 % Cu 20% Sn
    I label the bells with the composition
    bellclose.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  5. vincent

vincent Silver

Poured six more today and I had luck on my side, on pouring the last bell I ran out of metal, a third the way up the sprue but it still turned out good, its the bell on the right.
    This lot was to see how small I could make them using my loam method. the smallest one in the front with the dolphin on it has a base of 120mm and stands 90mm high. I do think I could make them smaller but I have no desire to do so.
    bestbells.jpg

Jason likes this.
  6. Jason

Jason Gold

There is good and then there is lucky. I'll take lucky any day!

7. Imagine setting up a miniature church steeple in your backyard and hang all those bells at the top :D.

8. vincent

vincent Silver

Thats exactly what I intend to do, I have no firm plan but I am aiming for about 25 bells on a portable steel frame so it can be used on site or be loaded onto a trailer to take to public events. The smallest bell being around 1kg with the largest somewhere north of 100kgs.

9. If you're going that far, you may as well become a marriage celebrant and turn up to events with a trailer-chapel and do 5 minute $50 weddings :). The chapel could have entry and exit stairs with a printed marriage certificate on your way out the back steps.

dennis and Tobho Mott like this.
  10. vincent

vincent Silver

Getting ready for another batch of 5 small and one large, the small ones range from about 1.5kg to 3kgs each and the big one will be around 20-25kgs 11111.jpg

Attached Files: