A new melter Im building

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Ferrisbeu, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

Trying something new with a keg and a forced air propane burner. My knifemaking forge is going to mounted piggyback. Still a day or two from completion.

Attached Files:

2. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

completed my FrankenForge. Front load melter and a blade forge piggyback. Forced air propane with and interchangeable burner.

Attached Files:

3. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

Nice! I'm curious, the exhaust is still planned to come out the "top" (now front) vent hole? Definitely want to stand clear of that! XD

4. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

i'm going to put a trap door on the front and cut an exhaust on the top off to the side a bit.

5. Rob Hall

Rob Hall Copper

VERY cool ! Wishing now I hadn't gotten rid of my beer keg! I am stealing ideas from others now, so I'll be keeping an eye out. :)

6. Jason

Jason Gold

Now you all knew this photo was coming right????

Foundry-forge.jpg

7. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

Who give a flying fuck. Semantics arent my strong suit. And going by your incredibly lame attempt at humor, mine kinda looks like a fucking forge.

8. Jason

Jason Gold

Language pal.:rolleyes:

Hopefuldave likes this.
  9. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

not my strong suit either, youngun.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

At almost 50yrs old, I never thought I'd get called a youngun again...o_O I'll take it.

11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I find it's better to insult Jason by PM, I often call him a 'f***ng tw*t' by PM and it keeps the forum a little cleaner. ;)

Jason and Ferrisbeu like this.
  12. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

Love the little trap door exhaust port! Very cool setup with the blade forge on top

Ferrisbeu likes this.
  13. I'm confused Jason. He did call his new furnace a melter, which is a nice task specific description. And his knife forge is adequately described. Franken Forge is a clever blend of terms although not original.

I guess I'll go back to my furnace room and found some metal.

Ferrisbeu likes this.
  14. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

Can you show us how you smelted it in your frounace?

Ferrisbeu likes this.
  15. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Gold Banner Member

I always thought the shack in the bottom right corner of that pic was called a smithy. :D

Jeff

theroundbug and Ferrisbeu like this.
  16. Jason

Jason Gold

I've been itching to try to make sense of this, so let me give this a go.

Foundry is a place which makes it a noun. You cannot foundry metal. It is also used again as a noun referring to the "skill" of foundering. (thing) It's never used as a verb.
    Forge is also a place (noun) or the thing which heats metal, it can be used as a verb, "forge a piece of metal" or also to advance, such as "Forge ahead"
    Furnace is a thing which makes it a noun. You do not furnace your metal.
    You can Melt your metal, but very few actually SMELT anything. Smelt is a verb, meaning to melt rocks or a noun when talking about the fish. How they came up with this from a fish is anyone's guess. Smelter is a noun and another name for a furnace. Only youtube idiots smelt metal in their forge.
    Melter is a person or thing which makes it a noun. You wouldn't melter metal in a smelter now would you?

And for Jeff, Smithy is a place which makes it a noun, but used as a name of one doing the work would be incorrect usage. It's not used as a person. Smith would be the person.
    You wouldn't say, "I had the smithy fix my wheel at the smithery."
    Funny how Longfellow had it correct 150 years ago, yet we screw it up today in an attempt to sound more important that what it really is. (example: over usage of smelt):rolleyes:

I still maintain the blacksmith was never as edjumakated as foundrymen were. To them, everything was forge. On the other hand, melting rocks into liquid metal bordered on alchemy.
    There is another! Alchemy - a power or process that changes or transforms something in a mysterious or impressive way
    While we are not alchemist, (maybe Zap is if he pulls off his ruby) foundry work is certainly not on the same level as beating red hot metal. <<<<<< See it???? Work conducted in a foundry.;)

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

3Dcasting likes this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

So what are you planning on using for a crucible? Are you able to place it in your sideways furnace and keep it out of the flame? There is actually a reason furnaces are vertical. It's called flame impingement and it severely shortens crucible life. If you really want a side entry furnace and I personally really like the design, this is how it's done.

s-l1608.jpg

18. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

ok Sheldon. Flame is offset and doesnt strike the crucible. great outflow off the top. melts brass lickety split. using #6 crucibles now after my accident. (dont ask) Just made some crucible pitchforky things today. One is gonna get a top lock. Still engineering it.

Attached Files:

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Well that's good to hear.

20. Great job Jason! I always enjoy reading your posts!

If I may, I'd like to fill in some gaps in your excellent understanding of the language.
    Actually, a foundry is a place where you found. Foundry is the noun but you can't have a foundry if you don't found. Webster's definition of found as a transitive verb is "to melt (a material, such as metal) and pour into a mold". Although foundering might be used to describe founding it is generally referred to disabling as a ship unable to proceed (especially foundering on rocks) or an animal which is over fed and founders.
    The two terms forge are peculiar. A forge is a heating device which is the precursor to hot forging but we also cold forge. You can hot forge without a forge, it's often done from a camp fire, acetylene torch, flame ring, induction ring, friction heating, or other heating methods. Hot bending is a type of forging however common usage is forging takes place between an hammer and an anvil although when closed die forging connecting rods nothing really looks like what comes to mind when you say hammer or anvil.

In reality, all steel starts as a casting but is refined by forging: hot rolling a bloom and billets and cold rolling for the highest finish products. The steel is reheated in a furnace, not a forge, before final forging.
    Got me! I didn't know I was a YouTube idiot. Where's my money?

From Webster: transitive verb "to melt or fuse (a substance, such as ore) often with an accompanying chemical change usually to separate the metal".

My first attempt at founding was to smelt aluminum waste from a building fire to remove rocks and wire. I did this in my blacksmith coal forge as it was my most economical heating method at the time. I mostly achieved the chemical reaction of creating aluminum oxide which I didn't want (sorry Kelly) but I was smelting in a forge.
    I didn't see any references in this thread to a smelter, now that I think of it. But I did clearly understand the OP use of melter in the context of bulk melter which has been used with impunity on this forum many times. You do melt metal in a smelter, furnace, and mistakenly in a forge. I thought he was going to melt things like engine heads and let the metal run out the bottom. Not an established definition, but I plan to build a bulk melter to reclaim aluminum from all the assemblies I am too lazy to disassemble and cut up so they'll go into a crucible.
    Interesting words. All smiths work in a smithy, but common slang is also to call a smith a smithy, but that is slang. A smithery, however "the work, art, or trade of a smith" is a noun and encompasses a broad range of descriptions, most of which would seem stilted to us because of lack of common usage. I would say "I had the smithy smith my wheel at the smithy."
    I really don't understand the ramifications of "edjumakated", but I assume it leans toward "educated usefulness" as opposed to ivory tower education. Regardless, founding came first, creating metal castings. Forging followed and it was soon learned that the blacksmith improved on the casting. Fine Damascus steel was a dramatic improvement over any cast iron at the time. Blacksmiths invented steel, not foundrymen.

Having started as a blacksmith, I understand that blacksmiths get a bad reputation because every farmer was a blacksmith. However poor, they could straighten a bent piece of equipment using a rudimentary forge.

In our little virtual internet world blacksmiths disdain cheap castings and founders disdain pounding hot metal into barely recognizable shapes. The elitism is totally unnecessary. There is a place for each craft. I do not head to the foundry when I need a new cold chisel for a custom job, or a new wood chisel. Neither do I head to the forge when I want to reproduce a broken casting on an old piece of machinery or I want to make a complex part. I do always wind up in the machine shop grinding, cutting and maybe facing and drilling.

I just cannot say one field is "better" than the other. High tech castings are amazing, as are high tech forgings like 40 ft seamless pipe joints, automotive connecting rods, and high pressure flanges. Pressure vessel codes are full of restrictions against castings and I assume most of your wrenches and sockets are forged rather than cast.

This was fun!