Casting defect - any idea what happened here?

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Tobho Mott, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

20210620_110620_copy_3162x1872.jpg

20210620_110551_copy_1040x520.jpg

I don't think it's shrink. For one thing, although it's pretty much a flat pattern that I have cast half a dozen times with no issues, this didn't happen in a thick spot. Secondly it's in the drag. If it was going to shrink at all, I would expect it in the cope on the back of the plaque, most likely opposite the dragon's head.

If it was an outie instead of an innie, I'd assume I had accidentally poked the mold cavity with a fingertip and somehow not noticed. The little dip has the exact same rammed petrobond textured surface finish as the rest of the casting. What could cause a weird perfectly smooth lump to form in my sand like that? Other than the rough spot where a little sand broke at the gate, the mold cavity looked clean and perfect when I examined it before closing the mold.

I poured it anyway despite the clumsily gating mess, because I wanted to see if there would be any visible difference between some new wheelium I just chopped up and castings of the same pattern I made using some old wheelium I'd remelted many times (not really - ignoring the broken sand and weird divot, if anything some of the multi-cycled wheelium castings came out a little better). Also I thought maybe I could clean up the rough spot good enough not to really show up through a coat of paint faster than I could make a new mold. But to me this uxexplained defect is more interesting. o_O

I'm stumped. Anyone have any theories about what could have caused it?

Jeff

2. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

i would say cold shut, possibly combined with you needing a bit of a vent

I'll explain,
    you have that perfect surface finish aluminum gets when it is almost too cold, i believe SWdweeb, or someone else on youtube, goes into alot of explaining about surface tension, and micro-gas formation causing a better then possible surface finish
    now if your metal was that cold, and the last place to fill had to fight with a little gas, you could get that defect. so if you had been 10degrees hotter you probably would have gotten it , if you had happened to have a vent right there, you would have gotten it

Now about that gating system???? nope not going to talk about it, you playing with the Campbell stuff, i'm not going there

V/r HT1

P.S. nothing wrong with Campbells results, problem is he says we are doing it wrong, but wont(specifically) say what is right ... well he says to use a million dollar software simulator obviously thats a NoGo

3. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

That is a weird one.
    My guess is your gate sucked a little out as it was cooling. Try thinning the gate down, width and thickness.
    Edit: Or increase the thickness of the runner to feed the gate as it cools.

4. Tobho Mott

Great insights, thanks!

For what it's worth I did vent the mold. Touched the pattern a couple times on each side then backed it off maybe 1/8" to 1/4" for the rest of the area where the cavity was, and made sure to poke a hole every inch or so there.

20210620_132801.jpg

I bet you are right about the temperature and gas thing. I recall Ironsides (Luckygen1001) talking about gases from petrobond or from coal in greensand having that effect in a couple of videos, maybe that is what you saw too. I haven't built a pyrometer like the one you showed yet, but it's on my short list. I did make a point of pouring this one almost as soon as I couldn't feel any lumps left in the melt though. I was hoping to get a smoother finish that way... however the previous castings of this pattern that I believe were poured hotter but was hoping to improve upon actually came out a little better IMO.

20210620_135115.jpg

Go figure. Maybe I just need to go back to using a finer riddle for facing. I only used the one with 5 holes per inch on the defective one. The greensand I used to use for facing came from Smelko's and was made with a GFN somewhere between 115 and 130, so maybe the sand in this unknown GFN petrobond is actually just a little coarser. Tim Smelko told me the greensand also has "carbonaceous additives" in it as well, and I have always believed that means a little bit of sea coal and maybe a pinch or two of who knows what other secret sauce.

It might be interesting to cast one in Smelko greensand and one in petrobond to compare, but it's not worth cleaning out the muller twice for. The plan is actually to move my barrel of greensand into storage to make space for more flasks etc., and leave it there until I have a good reason to drag it back out again.

For the record we are 100% agreed that trying to go full Campbell on a little sign like this would be insane and totally pointless. A bunch of extra cheeks and single use filters and preassembled trident gate cores? No thanks! I'm only using the parts of it that don't seem any less practical to mold than the traditional gating methods. I could discuss my reasons why in one of the older threads that is already devoted to the Campbell/Puhhaka stuff where it would be more on topic if anyone is interested, but I really don't want to open a can of worms here about gating here either. Please just understand that without the extensive training and experience you have had, I really never mastered or really ever did more than just "play with" splash basins and blind runner extensions and AFS gating ratios either. If it meant having to try to to unlearn everything I was already very comfortable with, I wouldn't bother.

Bonz - I guess that is possible, I thought about that too, but it being that far from the gate and also on the drag... I'm just having trouble swallowing it. The one without the defect did have a slighly less wide gate FWIW, but not any thicker. It was not hand cut.

Thanks guys. Any other theories? If not, feel free to post your own mysterious casting defects here for diagnosis by the hivemind.

Jeff

Attached Files:

5. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Peedee likes this.
  6. Tobho Mott

I knew I smelled something funny... That is a great theory. :D Thanks

Jeff

7. To me it looks like that spot was the last to solidify and had the contraction of the metal, your feeder is thinner than the plaque itself so it cooled and solidified before the plaque. The triangular flat castings in the photo below show a similar effect in places, like a gentle wavy surface. The three holes have rims slightly thicker than the rest of the casting but it's not critical to the finished product as it gets machined anyway. Nearly all the castings in the photos have small gating and feeders as they end up being machined to final shape so contraction isn't a problem. Also it's possible to cook your aluminium for a long period in the furnace and end up with so much hydrogen porosity that it counteracts the shrinkage during cooling. This happens when bystanders walk up and demand to know what you're doing in the middle of a session while you're trying to get them away from the danger.

Furnace session 10.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  8. FishbonzWV

FishbonzWV Silver Banner Member

I will.
    What's with the spin trap? Is that a Campbell thing or a Dweeb? I never understood complicating a runner with that thing when a tapered runner would stop a reverb wave.
    When I use a molded runner, I make them with a sharp taper on the end. There is no brick wall to bounce the metal off of.
    Any other thoughts on this?

Billy Elmore likes this.
  9. Tobho Mott

It's a Campbell thing. Replied in more detail over in the megapuhakka thread: http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/in...hakka-on-bifilm-theory.621/page-25#post-39526

Jeff

10. It looks to me like shrinkage, too. You still get a nice sand pattern in shrinkage areas.

Chvorinov's rule does work. If you have a little fat gate with a nice blind riser between it and the runner you can feed a defect like that every time. Without it, it's hit and miss. I never tire of seeing a big shrink in a blind riser next to a casting with no visible shrinkage.

11. Tobho Mott

Lot of votes for shrink. Maybe so. I'm still not sure, I never had shrink appear on the bottom of a casting before. I will have to rewatch your video avout Chvorinov's rule to refresh my memory about that...

Thanks,

Jeff

12. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been under the impression that metal should have a clear entry and egress through the casting. In this case the riser would be opposite the sprue on the other side of the plate. Is there a reason this isn't done as much I expect? Seems like a lot of people keep everything on one side but that doesn't make sense to me if you assume there are gasses in the way of the metal front.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  13. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I think what you're envisioning as a vent is really a riser. They can be used as a vent over on the other side of the mold cavity, or else a guy might put one there so he can tell when the mold is getting full. They can be strategically placed anywhere on the mold if done correctly, but they are often placed between runner and gate or directly in contact with the pattern as part of a directional solidification strategy. Meaning: thinnest and most distant part of the mold solidifies first and progresses toward the sprue. The riser remains molten till last and therefore can supply metal to the casting to the finish. Venting as I've learned it though is accomplished by poking a number of holes into the cope with a wire to within a 1/4 inch or so (not touching the pattern so they dont fill with metal as HT1 continually instructs). I think of it more as a function of the sands permeability.

Pete

14. theroundbug

theroundbug Silver

Are you going to talk about anything I said or just correct my terminology

15. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

It could be shrink...hard to say from just pics... weird that it would be in the drag and your rim around the outside being thicker should have fed it if it was shrink. I've seen weird shrink defects like that before. If you had something in your sand it could be gas. We get those same smooth round gas bubble looking inclusions when there is a foreign substance in the sand which causes a gas bubble or if there is a clay ball on the surface of the sand where there is metal contact. Usually if it is gas there will be discoloration around it but that is in cast iron.

16. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I think this is not a vent/riser but a spin trap at the end of the runner. He vents through the sand with holes poked close to the casting but not touching so metal does not fill them. A vent at the opposite side of the ingates would be the best place to put one if you need one as you suggest. Is that what you were asking....if that was the best location for a vent?

17. Billy Elmore

Billy Elmore Silver

I do the same and angle them upwards...vertical molds.

Tobho Mott likes this.
  18. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

You have been listening to 100 year old Brits talking about legerdemain

1) in this case, there is ZERO need for a riser! Period, it's a plaque, a quite thin one, probably under 3/8 inch at it's thickest.
    2) Jeff already admitted to not having a pyrometer . It's a cold shut its at the farthest point away from the sprue, so the coldest metal
    3) everyone needs to go read up on permeability and gas, particularly in Petrobond , petrobond is very permeable, and produces very little gas, Gas in green sand molds is mostly water vapor petrobond not having water produces less gas, combined with it's excellent permeability petrobond has few gas issues
    4) I would also contend, that the sprue, and runner are too small, but since Jeff has had success with the pattern before, I assume his gating system at least has the potential to succeed, I would use a larger sprue, not much a 1/2 inch sprue a 1/4 by 3/4 runner,( Literally I would probably put draft on a paint stir stick, and ram it up in the mold ) with the ingate about the same as the runner, the bigger ingate is fine, other then wasting metal , what you dont want is the ingates to choke the metal flow, pressurizing the actual casting before it is full
    5) Andy is completely right about Chvorinov's rule, risers need to have the HOTTEST metal in them, to work the best poor cold risers(risers on the side of the casting away from the sprue) can actually cause casting defects by drawing metal out of the casting rather then feeding it. especially a side riser !

People over compensate for gas, by using open risers, when a simple vent will work , here's a crazy idea, decrease the moisture in your sand ( not an issue here) , but yes 100 years ago, molders working on experience rather then science, might ram up some" wet sand" get gas defects, so come up with some crazy risering/venting plan implement it, if they get a good casting, that was the new SOP , well if someone wrote a book, now you have the industry standard hell this is what Campbell/Puhhaka say is going on to this very day , I definitely saw it when i was in school in 91 we where taught AFS then shown X-ray video of pours, that showed us the metal was not acting the way we where told it was supposed to act in the mold, but no one changed.

My issue with Campbell/Puhhaka is their solution is a million dollar software program, which is great for aerospace work , not going to fly in the Plaque shop

V/r HT1

19. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

To answer your question directly, yes there is a reason.
    Because a riser is ordinarily not used as a means of egress, assuming the egress you are referring to pertains to gasses preceding the metal front. It is used as a reservoir of molten metal to control shrinkage and is placed where it can be of maximum advantage to serve that purpose which is quite often nearer the sprue.
    So yes, I indeed tried to address your question and topic by correctly defining the use of a riser and why it is often placed where you evidently didn't think it should go, as well as explaining how the actual process of venting the gasses is done.
    Did you read my post?

20. Tobho Mott

For what it's worth, I heard you fine.

Whether you call them vents or risers or feeders or whatchamacallits, if this thread shows anything it's that there are a different expert schools of strongly held thought about all of this stuff. From what I can tell they all get results.

I'm pretty sure some people use risers (aka fat holes in the cope) as vents to evacuate gases from the mold cavity and some people use them as feeders and some use them for both. I usually only use them as feeders and only when I think they are needed. I believe the thin vent wire I use is more meant to allow gases inside the hot sand escape somewhere other than into the mold cavity and not so much to vent the cavity itself. As HT1 pointed out, petrobond is supposed to be permeable enough to do that on its own.

Hold on a second, it's actually at the close end, 3/4" from the gate. Still a cold shut? Thanks for the paint stir stick idea either way. I'll try a bigger sprue next time too.

No discoloration but that is an interesting possibility. I find little bits of wood in my sand from time to time that I assume chipped off the corners of my flasks. A small one could have made it through the riddle I used and stayed hidden under the sand. Shrink on the drag would be a first for me, but you have seen a zillion more castings get made than I have. o_O

Jeff

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Billy Elmore likes this.