A new melter Im building

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Ferrisbeu, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

They are open ring shanks. I have a lift off furnace and as you mention, they allow snatch and pour in one operation. They don't have to have the top clamp but it does add a little more control and insurance against dropping.

A-10 Shank  Clamp.JPG

A bit academic now since you already have yourself set up, but for your reading pleasure, there are a lot of variations on tongues and shanks discussed here.

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/lifting-tongues-and-pouring-rings.898/#post-20820

...and furnace styles here:

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?threads/the-furnace-thread.276/#post-4960

Best,
    Kelly

Ferrisbeu likes this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

Andy, one this for sure is the English language is a fickeled beast. I don't envy anyone learning it coming from a foreign land

oldironfarmer likes this.
  3. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

Very nice setup. Thank you

4. minimutly

minimutly Lead

Plus one on that. I'm Welsh, speak it as first language, people say it's hard to learn (and speak), but really, it makes much more sense (being phonetic) than English. Ok, some Ll and ch sounds may be hard to get your tongue around, but once these are mastered it's easy.

5. English really isn't that hard, we have little kids learn it over here.

6. rocco

rocco Silver

English is a vibrant and constantly evolving language but it is weird. I personally find the peculiarities in the English language fascinating. I think one of the main things that contributes to these peculiarities is the fact that English tends to absorb words from "foreigners" that interact with English speakers, often maintaining the spelling from original language. Maintaining the spelling is a double edged sword, on one hand it makes for confusing spelling and pronunciation, especially for new English speakers however, on the plus side, it preserves the etymology of the words in the spelling which can help comprehension especially when first encounter a word or when you have other words with similar pronunciation.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    oldironfarmer likes this.
  7. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

Completed. Simple, effective, and it works just fine. image2 (5).jpeg image1 (6).jpeg image0 (8).jpeg

Billy Elmore and Melterskelter like this.
  8. Ferrisbeu

Ferrisbeu Silver

thank you Jason for hijacking my post. You are now ignored. Annoying POS.

9. Jason

Jason Gold

Where do these new guys come from, IFI? Hostile bunch they are.:rolleyes:

10. In Jason's defense, he adds color and variety to any post. Also increases readership so your monetization will be higher.

Umm, we don't have cancel culture here. We all get along pretty good. You will too when you get used to a few of us. But don't call Jason a Person of Substance, that just feeds his ego.

Billy Elmore, Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Terminology is quite important, especially if you asking questions and opinions, it's easy to mis-read a post and give poor advice.

Jason has my sense of humour which is terribly British, so for a yank someone has trained him well :)

I have beer, popcorn and peanuts if anyone wants to join me in the gallery, in the meantime show us some more of your progress.

Jason likes this.
  12. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Summary of some of the recent posts:

“Billy hit me.”

Response “Yes, he does that sometimes.”

“I don’t like to be hit. Billy is a jerk.”

Response “Billy is special. He can’t help it and he is really funny.”

“I don’t want to play with Billy.”

Response “You should not cancel Billy out of your life just because he hurts you. He is really funny.”

“Billy should apologize.”

Response “He never does that.”

Sigh...

Denis

13. Billy could have been President

14. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

You know, I was thinking that as I wrote this, but did not want take this thread even further afield.

Denis

15. Rob Hall

Rob Hall Copper

Whew....Two whole pages of reading (Ich spreche Englich gut, Deutsch nich su gut) just to get back to say:

NICE!!!! I'm stealing the pouring shank idea too if I can.....(Yours as well Kelly). I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of that keg!!!

My son saw my little micro-melter fired up last night, so I HAD to show him your video. Thing GROWLS!