WWII fighter planes

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Peedee, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Picked up my tools and moved out. I did get some video of the engine test I'll upload later.

Top tip I went in at tea break with a dozen chco chip muffins, a pack of beer for one engineer and left a decent bottle of wine on the seat of the van of the other engineer. If they get another project in I may be remembered as the bloke that left without throwing his toys out of the pram :

Tobho Mott and Jason like this.
  2. Jason

Jason Gold

Good on you Peedee. If you ever decide to rage quit, this is how you do it. I cant wait to see your video.;)

3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Nothing like closing a positive chapter with class.

4. Peedee

Peedee Silver

First rule, keep the boys on the ground and the secretary happy (although thanking me for her 'muffin' could have been phrased better in a busy workshop!)
    The video won't upload so I'll have to sort some giggery pokery around, file size

5. rocco

rocco Silver

I've got a similar rule that I try to follow: always treat receptionists, secretaries and security guards with kindness and respect, it'll pay off some day.

6. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I don't think me and youcktube are going to get on but here goes

Jason and Mark's castings like this.
  7. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Blimey, it worked! No wing tip on the port yet, got close to check for vibrations. It is of course a MK1 Hurricane and a MK3 Merlin.

I don't think I'll ever get a youtube career.

Video needs sound, that wasn't full pelt as it was first engine run from complete rebuild, next one will be full beans. I'm glad we've got good anchors on the apron :)

8. Peedee

Peedee Silver

She flies :0

I'll link to some video if anyone isn't bored of listening to merlins.....

20210716_102241.jpg

Jason and Mark's castings like this.
  9. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Got a start next week with an engineering company that specialize in vintage motorcycles. Something different.....

10. Oldarm

Oldarm Silver

Oh boy! What a wonderful world you live in. I'm a little bit late but a little bit jealous too.
    Have fun with these old girls as well!
    John

11. Jason

Jason Gold

Note to self... Turn phone sideways when using it as a video camera. ;)

Clay likes this.
  12. Peedee

Peedee Silver

It's not always been this sweet, but if an opertunity is there you've got find it and go for it. I've known the owner for years and I just so happened to say Hello when he was buried in work. (I also know how difficult he is so I've made him agree if we fall out we shake hands and walk away as friends)

I've got some video to put up that my more tech savy daughter took of the first flight. When your belly is being rattled by the vibrations off a Merlin you tend to forget things like camera angle :)

13. Peedee

Peedee Silver

Nortons, Triumph, BL1275s, perkins there are engines everywhere! CNC Mill, CNC Lathe, big bstd lathe, more bridgeports and manual lathes than I can count. Boring/honing machines, keyway broachers. There is so much in the place it's hard to find the kettle! My first job is to organise............ (IE take the flack from 50+ customers waiting for their stuff) This should be fun :)

14. Jason

Jason Gold

The good news Peedee is a whole lot more people can afford bikes and car toys than aeroplanes! Which equates to a never ending flow of M O N E Y!!! ;)
    Remember, if it fly, floats or fks, it's cheaper to rent it!

15. Peedee

Peedee Silver

So.. I had seizure at the end of my second day, blood pressure hitting near 200 over 130 odd.

Blacked out and knocked myself out on a BSA750 twin barrel. I got up too quickly from the desk and hadn't eaten in two days (age, don't you just love it)

Now after a night in A&E I'm dosing up on BP tablets and licking my wounds, which are many (including my pride)

Look after yourself fellas, we only get one of these lumps of flesh.

16. Hope you make a full recovery Peedee!, get well soon.

17. Jason

Jason Gold

Whoa! You alright?

18. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I'll live, this time just need to sort this blood pressure out and get a better diet.

Not sure on the future for the job though.

19. It's very sobering to have such a thing happen, at least you didn't have a stroke or worse!. Tell them at work to fix the leaky can of nitromethane sending your blood pressure high. Seriously though after lots of exercise I now have the blood pressure of a man 15 years older than I actually am :oops:.

20. Peedee

Peedee Silver

I need exercise (cardio) and put a bit of weight on! If I have to take pills forever so be it.

5 minutes later I would have been driving home! That could have been a whole different scenario!!! My car keys are hung up until this is sorted.