Michigan moulder reporting

Discussion in 'New member introductions' started by Paperman, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Paperman

Paperman Copper

Good day, another FNG here. Aircraft mechanic by trade, maintenance supervisor at a paper mill by profession. I’m reading all I can, I’ll try to search before I ask. I have a local group if new guys interested as well. I’m slowing gathering tools and material. Thanks for acceptance so far.
    RK

2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome Rk. Any particular casting goals in mind?

3. Paperman

Paperman Copper

Other than make perfect castings…..no. Now that that dream is shattered, I just want to learn the craft to add to my skills. Many times I have had either an idea to improve something or a need to remake a part where a small casting would have really helped.

I like old things and allot of times those old things are missing a part. I’ve made lots of them in a lathe and mill but I’d like to learn to cast them.

DavidF likes this.
  4. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Welcome paperman..
    Aircraft mechanic?? Look out for Jason!! Lol

5. OMM

OMM Silver

Jason's OK! He's somewhat blunt, to the point. He helps out when applicable. But, he will bluntly say when you're not doing something very kosher.

Just don't show pouring metal in sandals and shorts and you'll be OK.

6. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

That's funny. I saw your first post and thought "Hmm. Maintenance supervisor. The guy probably wants to learn one more thing." (I have several close acquaintances with that title -all retired. I call them my industrial arts sponsors because they seem to know at least a little of everything and I get quite a bit of help from them).
    I own a small printing company and have cast alot of machine parts and fabricated a number of small machines for use in the shop. They've all served the dual purpose of being functional in the workplace as well has giving me my hobby fix. However, I've found casting to be a labor of love. Meaning: the time and effort it takes to do it would make it a no-go if it was for "the man".
    You'll find a very diverse skillset here. I think you'll feel at home.

Pete

Paperman likes this.
  7. Paperman

Paperman Copper

I prefer bear foot and nekkid, hot stuff just rolls off by sweaty leather:). I make Fireworks as another hobby so PPE is high on my list. Clothing choice and raspatory protection can be no joke. I don't want my shirt melted to may arm, I wear FR head to toe at work, 120 deg in heavy long sleeves and pants isn't fun but I haven't been burnt yet.

I like a guy that can cut through the BS and tell it like it is, as long as he doesn't hold it against me for 2 years after I fix the issue. I'm all about learning and improving.

8. Welcome!

We all have different experiences, sometimes varying opinions.:D

Paperman likes this.
  9. Paperman

Paperman Copper

Yep Pete, its a disease. My dad has it, I do and sadly passed it onto my kid. To many interest to master any of them. Out of High school I got into GA maintenance, wrote my FAA test at 19. Tried to make it work but not enough small planes in Northern MI to make any real money. I keep it as a side hustle to keep our own aircraft current. Saw an opening where I am now and figured why not. 22 years later still here, love the area. I started at the bottom of the wood pile here at the mill. Cut teeth making cleaning up scraps of paper, worked up to running the machine (its from the 1920's still making millions in paper every month!!!) and then jumped into maintenance. Work on everything from big steam turbine generators to sewer pumps, being the boss isn't much fun, cant get dirty as much as I would like. You should see the high pressure steam turbine castings, ugly as hell on the outside. The patterns must have just been a suggestion, lots of hand work and smoothing of sand from the looks of them.

10. Jason

Jason Gold

Yup... Fellow grease monkey here and present!
    20171006_161042.jpg

11. Peedee

Peedee Silver

That lock wire looks a bit shabby ;)

Jason likes this.
  12. Jason

Jason Gold

Yeah, that's an inspection ring to access the brushes. These are 1000hr overhauls, but I trade them out at 500hrs. I got a new pair showing up this week. Cost 3grand and cheap insurance to going home. As long as you can get a Garret started, you'll make it home. Direct drive is murder on starter/gens and batteries. Compared to a pratt, it's worth the trouble. When you just bump the power levers, you get instant response, no lag whatsoever.

13. Paperman

Paperman Copper

3k for the brushes, that hurts, but you pay to play!! I’m sure it’s the RPM that kills them. Our turbine generators run 3600 and I pull brushes about every 3 months. The comm is 12” diameter and the brush is 3” long so that helps as well.
    The holders are made to change them on the fly, always unnerving pulling an electrical part an a 4200v system while it’s in motion.

14. Jason

Jason Gold

I priced out brushes once and they were 900bucks for one starter/generator. So 1400 for an "overhaul" is pretty fair in my book. Tack on shipping and a 90dollar fee for a debit card and here I am. Southwind has been fair with me for the last 8years and no problems. They bailed me out once when I was really screwed on a weekend. I never forgot it.
    16311322109537730222291430207328.jpg