Interesting lid mechanism

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by rocco, Sep 11, 2021.

1. rocco

rocco Silver

I came across a new furnace build video today, the actual furnace is pretty run of the mill but the hands free lid mechanism is something I haven't seen before, I thought you all might find it interesting.

Zapins likes this.
  2. Bldr J

Bldr J Copper

Looks like I'm not the only one who reads Hackaday...

rocco likes this.
  3. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

I found myself correcting him on details at several points through the video but... in the end, he got it done.
    One thing I will say about my nested pipe lifting setup:
    I made my clearances too close for my application. Everything slid just fine when it was new but began to bind after awhile once the rust set in. It lifts easily with the lever (leverage overcomes the friction easily), but when gravity has to take over to settle the lid it binds. As long as I spray everything down with PB Blaster (panther piss) beforehand it works ok. A slightly smaller inside tube might improve the situation or maybe would aggravate the matter, I guess I dont know. The cantilever force on the mechanism doesn't help, that's for sure.

Pete

4. I like that design. My foundry is electric. I made it too small so there is a bigger electric foundry on the drawing board, well, Sketchup anyway. But with oil or gas I should be able to melt cast iron.
    Lee