Casting defects...like warpage and shrikage

Discussion in 'Sand Casting' started by Arun, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Arun

Arun Lead

Hello, i am working on sand casting for aluminium products....and i am getting lots of casting defects like shrinkage and warpage, shape deformation after solidification.... anyone one help me out this....that would be great.....!

This above link is my casting defects video..... Can check....

2. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

From one lead to another:
    There is no simple answer. Spend a few weekends watching videos on YouTube starting here:
    Olfoundryman and others that have teaching styles that fit your learning style that you find along the way.

Then come back here and do a search to answer any questions you may still have. ............which will be many. The more you learn the more you will find you still have left to learn.

Without access to modern FEA simulations you just have to learn to think like hot metal. To corrupt a line from Caddyshack " Be the metal".

Simple answer to the deformation you noted - move the riser closer to the gate to feed the shrinkage as the metal cools.

Arun likes this.
  3. Arun

Arun Lead

4. Arun

Arun Lead

Thank u so much sir...for your help and guidance...

5. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

Welcome to the forum. The link below will take you to the Navy Foundry Manual. It is an old manual but has guidance that will likely resolve your issues. (Gates and risers).
    https://maritime.org/doc/foundry/index.htm

Pete

Arun likes this.
  6. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Here is one of many YouTube links discussing riser use, directional solidification, and gating. Your initial attempt indicates a need to study some of the basics. I suspect many here may be reluctant to try recreate information widely available. No one video, blog, book, or website will contain all the nuances or necessarily be correct. But by spending time availing yourself of many sources of information, you will likely have more success and have more focused questions.

Welcome to this forum. The learning curve on casting can seem pretty steep at first.

Denis

Arun likes this.