Legend crucibles

Discussion in 'Foundry tools and flasks' started by Mach, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Mach

Mach Silver

I recently bought a couple Morgan Salamander Super crucibles from JETS on ebay. I had ordered from them before and was surprised to see that the price had gone up 50%, at $75/crucible. Kelly mentioned that they are an authorized seller so you pay the man.

I saw someone mention Legend (lmine.com). They had the same crucibles at half the price. Not sure if the supply chain hasn't caught up with their warehouse or if they're seconds. They just got delivered and they look the same as the Jets ones. I ordered several different kinds to compare vs the Morgan ones. So heads up if you're looking for crucibles.

Oddly Legend packed 3/4 crucibles in a box with peanuts and not boxed individually. No breaks but weird.

[​IMG]

I'm less than impressed with the budget ones at $27
    [​IMG]

The premium crucible at $65 was another story. More expensive than the Morgan but nicer. It's made by Grobet USA. Its was shipped in its own box.

[​IMG]

The exterior finish has a different glaze than the Morgan's which is shiny black. The Grobet is rough gray greenish.
    [​IMG]

The interior finish is smooth and more uniform than the Morgan but lighter, silver colored. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
    [​IMG]

Snappy likes this.
  2. Petee716

Petee716 Gold Banner Member

That’s where I’ve bought all of mine from. My experience is with the budget clay graphites and the salamander super. I started with budget and they hold up in my oil fired furnace for aluminum duty just fine, but they have a definite lifecycle . When I started melting bronze, the budgets lost the battle. After a very inconvenient failure I switched to salamander supers which have performed very well. I still have a #18 budget which I use for aluminum, but after about 25 heats it is showing it’s age. Once that one hits the dust bin I’ll be replacing it with a salamander.
    I’ve never purchased a premium but I suspect they’re boxed by the manufacturer. Any of the 2 types of crucibles I’ve ever bought from Legend came in peanuts, no box.

Pete

3. HT1

HT1 Gold Banner Member

I stopped using Legend , when they ended the case lot price on their budget crucibles, the advantage to that was both a great price and VERY good packaging

V/r HT1

4. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Wow that's crazy but it's a crazy economy right now. Last I bought Jet had a slight advantage over legend on A10s and more so A20s.

Best,
    Kelly

5. Bldr J

Bldr J Copper

The exterior finish has a different glaze than the Morgan's which is shiny black. The Grobet is rough gray greenish.
    [​IMG]

The interior finish is smooth and more uniform than the Morgan but lighter, silver colored. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm curious what your thoughts are on the Grobet vs the Morgan. I can't (don't know) where to get the Super Salamander in Canada (or that would survive shipping, duty) from the U.S., but the Grobet I can get locally for $88.60 in an A6 size from Gesswein here in Toronto: https://gesswein.ca/products/graphite-crucible?variant=37802539712665

6. rocco

rocco Silver

Morgan Thermal Ceramics has a large facility in Burlington Ontario, I don't know what that location carries but it might be worth calling.

7. Bldr J

Bldr J Copper

Thanks! Got a good runaround from Morgan, they mostly sell the refractory and insulation out of Burlington. Good to know for that though!

8. Mach

Mach Silver

Finish and molding is better. It looks a little thinner than the Morgan. I haven't subjected it to furnace abuse but when I do, I'll report back.

Bldr J likes this.