Coral pinnicle with shark and conger eel

Discussion in 'Lost wax casting' started by Mantrid, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

ive recently been working on a sculpture in chavant clay. its the soft variety as anything harder than this is impossible to work with in the cold uk climate
    I still have a few coral pieces to add and the shark and eel needs finishing with more detail but i think im nearly there.
    This is my most complex piece to date. I will have to dismantle it and mould each piece of coral seperately, and do a three part mold for the shark and a two or three part for the core of the coral pinnacle.
    Heres some pictures

Attached Files:

2. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

height is 25cm or just under a foot in old money

3. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Very nice Mantrid. So nice to have you back. Did you take time off from sculpting/casting or just forum posting? Rasper is a member here, but has been a bit allusive as of late.

Best,
    Kelly

4. Melterskelter

Melterskelter Gold Banner Member

Interesting subject matter and lovely renditions. I guess simple and easy forms are not guiding principles for your designs!

Looking forward to learning from your input.

It might be nice to see pics of some prior work as well.

Denis

5. Al2O3

Ohhh, there are some good ones!

Best,
    Kelly

6. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

I havent cast anyrthing since my owl
    Along tine ago. Although I wont be like a complete novice I predict lots of fails especially as Im jumpin straight in at the deep end

7. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

I do the sculpture then worry about the casting later. Im going to have to relearn and learn new stuff with this one.

8. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

Will do Denis. Ill put them in a new thread. Ill use this one soley for this piece

Tobho Mott likes this.
  9. Rasper

Rasper Silver

OK Mantrid. You owe it to posterity to make a step by step series of photographs of the mold-making process you use with this one. The horse was complex enough, and then came the owl. But this?

Richard

10. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

Some progress. Shark mould finished. Reef to do. Will have to break the reef up into smaller pieces and make separate moulds of each piece. Still some detail to add first though

first side silicone and POP mother mould
    sr1.jpg

clay walls in place ready for second side silicone piece
    sr2.jpg

two layers of silicone poured on second side
    sr3.jpg

clay walls removed ready for applying pop mother mould to second side
    sr4.jpg

All cleaned up ready for final part of the mould on the ventral side
    sr5.jpg

completed mould with some old wax poured in to test. No leaks, looking good.
    sr6.jpg

A good reproduction
    sr7.jpg

snapped a piece of the mother mould but easy to repair
    sr8.jpg

details of the cut out where the ceramic shell will be poured in. Slight defect here, but as I learn this moulds behaviour future pours should be ok.
    sr9.jpg

Three views of the reef. This part will have most of the coral cut off an moulded separately. It will all be stuck back together as one piece for sprueing and ceramic shell
    sr10.jpg

sr11.jpg

sr12.jpg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    John Gaertner and Tobho Mott like this.
  11. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

The eel is actually a moray eel not a conger eel (which is more temperate rather than tropical)

12. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Sweet!! Can't wait to see it cast...

13. Al2O3

+1. Those look great!

Best,
    Kelly

14. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Wow man thats very nice work. I might have to give that clay stuff a try. Looks faster than wax sculpting and seems to hold details well. Not sure about the armature scaffolding stuff tho.

Very clean 3 part mold. I will have to try that one day when needed.

Those coral bits are going to take a while to mold. Are you going to block mold or multiparty them?

15. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

thanks. i will not do block moulds. it uses too much rubber. Clay sure is alot less hassle than wax. Detail is probably easier to achieve too. Ive tried all three main mediums. I like them all for different reasons. Water based clays are cheap and easy to sculpt. I'll always use this if im doing anything big. An armature is needed with both types of clay if you are doing anything large or has longish sticking out bits that need support. I like wax as upto now I have not needed an armature even with the outstreatched wings of my owl

16. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

Details added to the moray eel. I made it alot smaller than originally intended to keep it more to scale in relation to the shark

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Some pics of the mould making stages of the eel. Can believe how untidy my moulds have become after years of not practicing. Take a look at the moulds of the bronze age horse for a comparison.
    http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php?attachments/img_3075-jpg.18635/

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Coral pieces removed from the main reef for moulding separately. This is going to take some time.

DSC_0012.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Tobho Mott likes this.
  17. Jason

Jason Gold

Great work! A bit of a departure from your usual T&A...:p

18. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

yeswell i dont want people thinking i have a one track mind :)

19. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

Added alot more detail to the pinnacle and preparing it for hopfully just a two part mould

DSC_0021---Copy.jpg

DSC_0022---Copy.jpg

Clay wall to create parting line

DSC_0023---Copy.jpg

Tobho Mott likes this.
  20. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

Clay walls to keep in silicone
    DSC_0024.jpg

Silicone poured 3 layers
    DSC_0025.jpg

Clay walls removwd and silicone trimmed. Second clay wall built to keep in plaster that forms supporting mother mould
    DSC_0029.jpg

plaster poured over silicone
    DSC_0030.jpg

All clay removed and plaster trimmed. Mould turned over ready for second part
    DSC_0031.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022