Error: Cookies are required to log into this site.

Discussion in 'Forum suggestions' started by Mach, May 2, 2022.

1. Mach

Mach Silver

Ran into this error earlier today. Apparently, HTTP causes this error if you were previously logged in using HTTPS. Changing the URL to be HTTPS fixed the problem. Clearing cookies did not fix the problem.
    upload_2022-5-2_11-2-33.png

David, this is a known issue with the forum software. The resolution is here:
    https://xenforo.com/community/threa...ccept-them-to-continue-using-the-site.184365/

It turns on the option to "Enable board URL canonicalization".

2. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Ok, I'll check it out in the am. At work until 3 am....

3. Mach

Mach Silver

No rush, its an easy work around.

4. Matth

Matth Copper

Ahhhh, Ive been unable to login for months because of this error. I assumed it was something I did or changed on my computer but I've been unable to resolve it. I come here to ask advice and found this post.

Edit:
    Wait, that was posted 2yrs ago. Um, maybe it WAS me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just logged in successfully the first time (In months) just now.

5. GTS225

GTS225 Silver

And I'm having slightly different issues. Apparently, my 'puter isn't getting the cookies, as I have to log in every time I visit, even though I check the "stay logged in" box. This started about a week ago, and I have done absolutely nothing to my computer settings, so I have doubts that it's on my end.

Roger

6. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Silver

Never had the cookie problem. When i click on the first bar it offers me my saved name and password i click on that then login.

7. Matth

Matth Copper

Hey it worked again this morning!

Roger: I always since I've had an account here had to login each time even if I "Stay logged in". As far as I know it's this site only, McMaster for example keeps me in. Some of the mold companies kick me out after a week or so. The social sites I do not have the problem so I assumed it was a security option on the back end. It's a minor inconvenience so I never worried it.

8. Tobho Mott

Tobho Mott Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

Having to log in every time has been a thing that has always come and gone for me in waves here. Last time was when I switched to a new cell phone. Then it came back again when the forum recently came back up after a brief outage. But now, as of a day or two ago, for me, the site once again seems to remember me when I come back. I always found it a little odd, but never really worried about it. Figured it was just me. I'm still not worried. But maybe this info is helpful to someone who is?

Jeff

9. DavidF

DavidF Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It's been doing the same to me.
    I'm going to be looking into it over the weekend.
    Nothing has changed that I know of, but it did start when the forum went down, then had fixed itself, now it's doing it again...
    I might delete the front page and move the forum up into its spot which hopefully will fix an ssl problem. But that will also make the current web address invalid... I'll shoot out a group e mail if I do after the fact...

10. rocco

rocco Silver

Is this issue peculiar to specific operating systems or browsers? FWIW, I've never encountered it and I'm using Firefox on Windows 10.

11. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

It affects all of my devices, Windows based pc's and iOS iPhone. Also doesn't matter which browser I use.....EDGE, Chrome, or Safari. I also need to use an authenticator ap which makes it a bit more of a PITA because my devices are supposed to be recognized for 30 days but are not since the last forum outage. Otherwise my pc at least autopopulates my login stuff and that's just a couple clicks. Certainly not the end of the world but hopefully can be sorted in due time when David has some time to look at it.

Best,
    Kelly

12. Tops

Tops Silver Banner Member

Maybe we need to get this guy on it...I had the problem in the past but am doing OK currently with Win11 and Android.

[​IMG]

The Cookie Monster from the old kids' TV show Sesame Street

13. GTS225

GTS225 Silver

Interesting......starting yesterday evening, I now stay logged in, even overnight.

Curiouser and curiouser.....Roger

14. 509Maker

509Maker Copper

I also had this problem, I fixed it by setting my browser to force https connections a while back. Seems to work on all my Linux distros and browsers including the few windows machines I still have.

15. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member