Using sturdy metal can for single use flask?

Discussion in 'Investment casting Block method' started by John Gaertner, Mar 10, 2022.

1. John Gaertner

John Gaertner Silver

Hello Forum. I need to block invest 3 pieces for a project. I was wondering whether anyone had used a good sturdy metal can for a one time use only flask. I would cut the bottom off, of course, install my wax pattern and 3D printed sprue base. Fill with investment material and allow to cure pure the investment instructions. I have a vacuum chamber for setting the flask on and pulling a vacuum when I do the metal pour as well as mixing the investment slurry.

With three pieces, I want to mix, fill, burn out etc. all the flasks at one time in my Burn out oven. I also want to do only one melt of the metal, charge.

Any thoughts?

2. rocco

rocco Silver

My experience with lost wax is very limited so it might have been beginner's luck but, I've done it successfully.

3. mytwhyt

mytwhyt Silver

What size can? I've used cans for a one time use when spin casting with my short/long arm Kerr. I use old rubber mold bases that fit the can.. You need the sung fit to the can you get with a flexible base.. I like the soup cans with the pull tab tops.. Little more metal at the top.. That type might be a good choice, with the top of the can over the vacuum, pour from the open bottom....

Richard lofting likes this.
  4. I'm not that familiar with vacuum methods, wouldn't you need the holes in the can? something about pulling the gases out of the investment material?
    Certainly I've seen videos of people casting (no vacuum) using just a normal bit of metal pipe or box section as a flask..I thought I might try an old watering can (making sure it's not ali first!) as it has a handle already built in...experimental but I plan to try...