Requesting Suggestions to eliminate porosity

Discussion in 'Lost foam casting' started by Novak, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Thanks Kelly, I am thinking that the media may not hold well because of no binder.
    But this part venting is not the issue. I believe he holding the metal for too long at a High temp.

2. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Degassing I use nitrogen, we start degassing as soon as the metal goes to full melt and continue while the metal is heating to pouring temp.
    Rarely have a hydrogen issue....actually the main purpose of the degassing isn't to remove hydrogen, but to bring non-metallic inclusions to the top of the bath. The added benefit of removing the gas is a welcome bonus. Any gas we may have a chance of getting comes from a cold/wet charge, So all the charge metal gets preheated. and then it would be cold/wet ladles or skimmers.
    The crew is very familiar with keeping tools hot.
    If there is a question of hydrogen I pour a little of the metal off and put the liquid sample under a vacuum. Saw the cooled piece in half. That'll show real quick...
    Here is something to look for as you are degassing...A gentle bubble is used, But when the bubble breaks the surface and you see a puff of flame, that is hydrogen coming to the surface.
    Bubble till all the flames are gone....Also bubble the sides of your crucible, this does 2 things, removes gas from the side of the pot, (as hydrogen will stick to the side of your pot)and helps to keep the crucible clean by bringing ashes and other junk to the top.
    The charge through the day is about 95% new ingot, and 5% returns, gates and risers.
    I have found only one instance where I just couldn't get rid of the hydrogen. The only thing I could do was pig out the furnace and start again..The gased metal I was able to remelt with no problem of gas...go figure that one.

3. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Here is a question.
    Can stored foam hold moisture? How can one be sure the foam being used is dry. Does it matter?

4. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

Foam that has been "IN/UNDER" water for a length of time will get water-logged, but it takes a long time - months, maybe years. In some boats the volume under the floor-boards is filled with foam for additional floatation. If the hull leaks then, over time, this foam because it's sitting in water will get water-logged and become useless. I wouldn't worry about store-bought foam being water-logged, but if the foam seems overly heavy don't use it. If the foam were saturated with water, that might be a bad thing.

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member

I’d say it just doesn’t matter unless the foam has been buried or submerged for a protracted period, I’d say it doesn’t matter. The colored extrude polystyrene (XPS) foam board is closed cell. The white expanded ps (EPS) is closed within the bead but not between the beads.

I spray the patterns with a water based surfactant (soapy water) and the apply a water based refractory coating. In fact the polystyrene is so water repellent/ hygroscopic it’s hard to get the surface to properly wet with water based coatings. In general, they just won’t absorb water.

Best,
    Kelly

6. Foundry Rat

Foundry Rat Silver

Thank you, that is an answer that tells me what I needed to know. I thought that because it is poly it would resist water, unless maybe the surface could be wetted. Even then it isn't holding water.