I make birdhouses now...

Discussion in 'General foundry chat' started by Zapins, Sep 11, 2022.

1. DJN Holistic

DJN Holistic Silver

Not sure. My Dad's the potter, I'll ask him next time I see him. But you might be right. I know the carbon is absorbed to form the pattern, so that implies it's not watertight. I'm not sure if there's a finish that goes over it though. It just struck me as something you'd already have the equipment to attempt. That and raku looks sweet.

2. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm. Finished most of the details on the face. Working on the wood/hair now. Then should be able to finish it up fairly quickly.

I'm not sure I like the wrinkled lips. May need to fix something there tomorrow...
    20221025_010935.jpg 20221025_010656.jpg

Mantrid likes this.
  3. GTS225

GTS225 Silver

I agree. Maybe the wrinkles are too deep, or too "crisp"? Maybe try softening the lines up a bit?

Just my opine.....Roger

4. DJN Holistic

DJN Holistic Silver

Wrinkles only really form when lips are pursed together. A wide mouth like that would have them stretched out. Only the most extreme wrinkles would show, like the centre bottom lip, and to either side of the tubercle (the button on the centre top lip). Texture would still be there, but that's fine detail thing.

5. Zapins

Zapins Gold

True and I had to open her mouth really wide so birds could get in there. May need to nix the wrinkles or apply some to the top lip under the nose and remove some on the lip itself

6. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Baked the first bird house. Fired it to 1930F. It came out nicely. Now I have to find some glaze... hmm.
    20221120_105028.jpg 20221120_105015.jpg

7. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

That looks great, especially that bark. Will you glaze one colour or are you going for a more realistic look?

Zapins likes this.
  8. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ya definitely need to glaze it. I'm thinking green for leaf and then brown for bark. I'll have to see what is available locally

9. crazybillybob

crazybillybob Silver Banner Member

That one turned out Great! Colored glaze is really going to make it pop!

10. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Cooked the old man today. He's cooling. Will see how he turned out. There was a crack in the base of it before I baked him. So hopefully it won't grow bigger in the firing. I may be able to seal it up with glaze on the next firing?

20221203_225839.jpg

11. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmmm... well there were some cracks. I'm hoping the glazing will glue it all together and stabilize it all.

I think most of these cracks are due to letting the clay dry out too much before removing the inner form. So the clay cracked as it shrank around the form. I tried to repair them at the time but I think the clay was too dry to adhere well to the softer patch clay. Oh well I'll know for next time to watch it closer while drying.

20221204_131246.jpg 20221204_131258.jpg 20221204_131307.jpg

12. Mantrid

Mantrid Silver

thats a great result for a first attempt. I have no experience of pottery but I saw a pottery competition series on TV and I saw them repair crack before firing by painting or rubbing clay slip (watery clay) into the cracks. Some of the contestants also had cracks after firing and they as you suggest used the glaze as a glue.
    Heres a link to the series on youtube if your interested
    https://www.youtube.com/@TheGreatPotteryThrowDown/videos

Zapins likes this.
  13. Jason

Jason Gold

Great work Zap! When you get too many birds, I'll loan you my cat.

Zapins likes this.
  14. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Ha! I bet I finish all these houses and don't get any birds this summer lolol... that would be typical. 200 hours of work and they prefer the trees.

15. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Painted the bird houses. Firing them up now. Muahaha

20230325_184027.jpg 20230325_184036.jpg 20230325_184409.jpg

16. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Here's the prior one I fired. Came out ok. I'm gonna epoxy the stick/perch back on.

20230325_232229.jpg 20230325_232210.jpg

Mantrid, Rocketman and Tops like this.
  17. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Hmm the leaf/log one came out nice. The old man is cooling.

20230326_135403.jpg 20230326_135337.jpg

18. Zapins

Zapins Gold

Old man came out alright. The clear glaze I put on his face and hand is very similar to the "birch" colored glaze over his beard so the contrast isn't that much. Ahh well I'll know for the future.

20230326_220244.jpg 20230326_220309.jpg

19. Jason

Jason Gold

Glaze came out awesome!

Zapins likes this.
  20. Jammer

Jammer Silver Banner Member

Did those little cracks seal up? He looks great.

Zapins likes this.