Electric Furnace Question

Discussion in 'Furnaces and their construction' started by Sirgei, May 30, 2023.

1. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

Good Evening/Afternoon

Is here someone who has a decent instruction on making Electric Furnace?

I have found:
    Castable Refractory. The type that is white
    Digital Temperature Controller that can go up-to 1600C
    Digital Temperature Measurement with probe also up-to 1650C or so
    Heating Coils

But can't find an detailed instruction on how to connect it all together.
    Youtube videos show nothing
    Or at last videos that I watcheed.

Thank you

2. ddmckee54

ddmckee54 Silver

"But can't find an detailed instruction on how to connect it all together."

Do you mean how they are mechanically put together, or how the electrical bits are connected together? The mechanical construction is similar enough that it will pretty much apply to all builds, so just pick the video that you feel you can duplicate.

The electrical connections will be very specific, depending on your hardware, and your location. It pretty much has to be tailored for your application, what voltage will you be using, what current so you have available, how many KW you want to put into the furnace, that sort of thing. If you are expecting to find somebody that has built a furnace using exactly the same hardware as you've got, or at least the hardware you intend to use, that's most likely not going to happen.

Don

Sirgei likes this.
  3. Sirgei

Sirgei Copper

Exactly, no
    General idea is enough
    I messaged Youtuber who did videos and asked him why he don't show how connections are made.
    He said he legally can't show it. Because it would make him liable.
    Local electrician said he will not it as well. Because his insurance only covers standard work in a home and such. Connecting this for me is a liability.
    I just want to find a general schematic that is all.
    Is here such some where here on forums?

Thank You

4. Smoking Shoe

Smoking Shoe Silver

Look at the tutorials for standard ceramic kilns. Other than what we cook in them they are almost identical.

PID temperature controller to Solid State Relays (SSRs) to the heating coils is pretty much standard.
    How many coils, what length, what gauge are all variables that you have to come up with for your specific application. This - could - be a straight copy of a commercial unit.

5. Al2O3

Al2O3 Administrator Staff Member Banner Member